1. Making the big step - Left my job

Hey guys,

I just left my full time job to go alone in the website design business!

i think i have pretty much everything covered.

Wondered if you guys could take a look over my site and give me any pointers.

Im only starting out, so not much in the way of my own portfolio, it didnt seem right to use any of the designs from my previous company.

Anyway, a big hello to you all!
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

This should really be in the site reviews forum, I'm sure it will get moved soon enough.

The first thing I noticed was your flash navigation. That is a big no no when it comes to accessibility and search engine optimisation. People who cannot view or choose not to view flash will be unable, or at best find it very hard, to navigate the Website. Search engines will be the same, and unless the find some other way to view all the pages, such as a site map, then your site will not get indexed.

3. thanks for your reply, and sorry for the wrong posting place!

i see you do some site design yourself, how busy is the market at the moment?
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

i see you do some site design yourself, how busy is the market at the moment?
    That is a very hard question to answer, Nick. I have been in the industry for about 5 and a half years, and from my standing point, the potential market has grown and grown. There is no way of saying that for certain though, it could quite easily have just been me who learnt, and saw more of the market.

The Web development market is huge, no question about it. I would be willing to say 95% of businesses in MEDCs and developing countries need, and often want a Website. As time goes by, redesigns, rather than first developments, are becoming ever more popular.

My best advice for you, considering you have taken the huge step of leaving your current full time job, is to look at everything as an opportunity. Read your local newspaper, look out for the latest wine cellar that just had an open house style party, they will need a Website. Look out for the museum down the road that is struggling this year to get the funds it needs, you may consider developing them a free Website and marketing publications, in return for press coverage.

5. Thanks Jamie, I have done a few free websites for a couple of companies.

Just trying to get the name about as much as I can really.

I wanted to work mainly on word of mouth, to build a good base of customers.

Saying that, have you found any good places to advertise? I am only looking to do about 2 designs a week.
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Saying that, have you found any good places to advertise? I am only looking to do about 2 designs a week
    As you have already identified, word of mouth is by far above everything else.

To be honest, where you advertise depends greatly on who you are targeting. Personally, I would stay well clear of the forum market, unless you plan on designing at 2 bucks an hour.

For me, again, it's quite a hard question to answer, because I reside in the UK. I have a partner in Ohio, but all my advertising has been done in the UK. I think your best bet, at this early stage, would be to get a small ad in your local newspaper.

Some advice here, Nick. Invest in the Web Design Business Kit. It will be the best $247 you will ever spend. It is aimed at the freelancer, like yourself, and gives some fantastic marketing advice, and plenty of marketing ideas. It also comes complete with several documents, on CD, such as proposals, quotes, financial reports and contracts. http://www.sitepoint.com/books/freelance1/

7. It looks good, I will go puchase!

And stay clear of the cheap designs in here!

Where in the UK are you from?
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

It looks good, I will go puchase!

And stay clear of the cheap designs in here!
    Glad to hear it! Although it sounds like you are ready to buy it already, just in case you're not, I advise you download the sample chapters, they will really sell it to you.

Where in the UK are you from?
    As the "Location:" under my username says, West Yorkshire.

9. ha ha, thanks, im a newbie
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Moved to Site Review by that "partner in Ohio"
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Very good looking site! I'm impressed and that doesn't happen often. The imagery on your site is well done. Kudos! I've gone over your site twice now, looking for something--anything--that was out of place, but it all looks great.

Good luck in your new career!

12. hey, thanks for the comments JSpired!

I will let you know how it all goes!
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Nice site. Very clean design. Hope it goes well for you!

14. all very kind, just need some work now!

If any of you guys need anything will do it super cheap for you! Need to build up my portfolio
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success

Excellent design, nice and clean like mentioned above.

Can't put my finger on anything exept the lack of meta- keywords and description.

Good luck!

16. will be working on those in time!
    Big O r a n g e Design
    BigOrangeDesign.com
    Growing Success