Thread: Google is down.

Google is down.

News Flash: At the time of this posting, Google Adsense, Adwords, and GMail are all down. Someone is going to be fired tomorrow.

Yep it's actually down. That's kind of interesting.

Yes sir, Google is down for me too

Same for me

It start working for me right now

If google was down for 15minutes, they have lost $100,000 in revenue Surely someone is going to get fired
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by subigo
    Someone is going to be fired tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    Surely someone is going to get fired
    I doubt that. As a percentage of total revenue, $100K is diddly-squat as far as Google is concerned. Regardless, successful companies don't automatically fire people for making mistakes. Smart companies like Google have business insurance, which makes up for whatever they lose in a situation like this. The cost of an increase in their insurance premium is likely less than the cost to replace an employee in a position to make a major mistake like that.

In my swimming-pool manager days, not once but twice I left the damn fill water on and overflowed a pool. One indoor, one outdoor. Being public jobs, both times my head was called for. Both times, my boss stood up for me on the argument, what did this really cost us, and isn't that less than Eric is worth to us? Humans will **** up, plain and simple, firing everyone who does is bad business. (So is not firing the ones who are actually incompetent, but I'll leave my Bush-bashing for elsewhere.)
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

It was down a while ago for me too. After it is up, I notice that the description of my site was an old one way long ago although the positioning didn't change.

I don't believe Google was down at all for me here in the UK, Been using it all morning.

BigBison, I wasn't serious of course
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

And I was about to curse my ISP again for being down when I couldn't access Google. Total downtime seemed less than 15 minutes though.

It has never been down for me .
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

omg.....the world is going to end!!!!! Seriously, do we need to have a thread every time google hiccups?

Quote Originally Posted by RossH
    omg.....the world is going to end!!!!! Seriously, do we need to have a thread every time google hiccups?
    No doubt... and the ignorant rambling of "OMG, someone is going to get fired"... anyway....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

(rant)

sigh....

I think people can realise when google goes down. wish the mods would watch out for these waste of time threads.

top tip - when google is down for more then 1 day thats a good time to create a thread and start slaggin them off.

otherwise 15 minutes....god common ffs!

(/rant)

Anyone know why google had downtime? Google News didn't show any news articles urprised:

But basically at every forum I know of there is/was an article about Google going down
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Does it really matter? A few minutes - it's not unexpected... problems can arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps
    (rant)
    I think people can realise when google goes down. wish the mods would watch out for these waste of time threads.
    (/rant)
    Uhh, dude, if you don't like these threads, perhaps you shouldn't read them and respond.

I find Google being down extremely interesting! What could possibly have happened that would take their tens of thousands of servers off the net?

Its Quite unexplainable. Because, google never says anything about being down.

Quote Originally Posted by sightz
    Uhh, dude, if you don't like these threads, perhaps you shouldn't read them and respond.

I find Google being down extremely interesting! What could possibly have happened that would take their tens of thousands of servers off the net?
    If it's down for a couple of hours it becomes more interesting but if it's down for just a few minutes I really don't see it being worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by sightz

It's kinda hard when every other day you see "So and So is down"....though, this one seems to be the first one when google was down!
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

I wasn't serious about anyone getting fired... sheesh.

And as for the people complaining about this thread... umm, any downtime for google is news when it effects adsense, adwords, and gmail. The downtime caused EVERY single site with adsense on it to lag for more than an hour... but what would people who spend all day talking about hosting care about that for? . . .

I guess this thread at digital point was just pointless... that's why it had 3000 views in 2 hours: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=36650

subigo - just because other people have posted on other forums about it - doesn't make it any less pointless in my view (but as I say, that is just my view)...

We see threads about so and so being down all the time.

A minor outage ocassionally with any service should be expected.

Had it of been down for a few hours, a post would've been worthwhile but it was only a few minutes.

I'm not complaining - just stating my view.

As for you saying: 'people who spend all day talking about hosting'... unless I'm misreading that - it's meant to say we do nothing else, correct?

Most of us however here do have plenty of other stuff to be getting on with like looking after clients for one and don't spend all day talking on WHT.

Actually they were down for almost 2 hours. I posted this thread near the end of the outage.

Ah. In that case I take it all back but I did read in various places and presumably some of the other posters did too that it was just 15 minutes roughly.

When Adsense is down, the hundreds of thousands of websites that show those ads lag like crazy waiting for Adsense to time out.

Unable to log in Adsense account: does this also mean Google is down?

Quote Originally Posted by subigo
    Actually they were down for almost 2 hours. I posted this thread near the end of the outage.
    2 hours common, thats still classes this as pointless thread specially as you stated previously the information was posted some where else.

as I said before if it was a day then we would have somthing really interesting to talk about.

To those of you who think 15 minutes isn't that bad, you obviously have never worked for a site the size of Google. Although I don't work for Google, I am more than sure that they aren't that different from where I work when it comes to matters like this. 15 minutes of downtime for a company like Google (especially one which effects EVERY Google property) would be the equivalent mentally to them of a common website being down for a month. You can say all you want about 15 minutes being 15 minutes and how short a time that is, but until you're the one owning/maintaining a website receiving BILLIONS of pageviews PER DAY you will never understand how significant something like 15 minutes really can be.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Jeremy - I totally agree with you - too Google no doubt would've been a BIG problem that had to be resolved very quickly. However, my point earlier (and I'm sure the same goes with the others that said the same as me) was that it seems very insignificant to us when it's only 15 minutes (or 2 hours) when we all expect downtime at some stage here.

I don't find these threads at all pointless. When Google is down, for me at least, it is big news and very interesting. If you don't find it that interesting or worthwhile, just don't open the thread.

Well google is big enough, they shouldnt be going down at all...

And thats why it's news when they do....