Hosting with MySql 5

Are there ANY hosts out there that are supporting MySQL 5 yet?

Somehow, I HIGHLY doubt it. Might be time to go for a VPS.

If there is a host supporting MySQL 5 on a share enviroment i would not trust them. MySQL 5 still under test and I would not recommend to use it on a server with hundreds of web sites.

Get a VPS or a small server if you want to play with it.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Quote Originally Posted by wbpro
    If there is a host supporting MySQL 5 on a share enviroment i would not trust them. MySQL 5 still under test and I would not recommend to use it on a server with hundreds of web sites.

Get a VPS or a small server if you want to play with it.
    What do you term as under test?

MySQL 5 has been released as stable, so no it actually isn't "under test" as such as it is no longer in beta.

Sure there may be problems with it and most hosts will not support it for a while, but there could be problems with any new software release and saying you would not trust a company for being on the ball where new software is concerned is a pretty stupid blanket statement to make.

I dont know too much about mysql but you may want to contact a host and ask them if it's possible to upgrade to MySQL 5
    Webmaster Tools at iWEBTOOL.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    What do you term as under test?

MySQL 5 has been released as stable
    Correct, we've tried it on our test server. Out of the common scripts not many seemed to work to well so we are going to stick to 4.1.X for quite some time
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Quote Originally Posted by coight
    Correct, we've tried it on our test server. Out of the common scripts not many seemed to work to well so we are going to stick to 4.1.X for quite some time
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that anyone should upgrade their servers, we aren't going to either in the near future. I was just commenting on the statement above that implied a host should not be trusted if they run v5 in production.

There are many ways to run v5 in production without affecting current databases or the stability of the server and the best way IMO is a dedicated v5 server totally separate from everything else.

I'm curious though, what scripts did you find that would not work on 5?

As one who adopts technology much faster than most let me give my two cents on MySQL 5.0.

MySQL 5.0 is quite stable and is very fast. It has many more features and helps implement things in a way that moving is easy. With that said I must agree with Wullie. Common scripts are having problems with it due to minor changes that could have been avoided. At this point I wouldn't count on seeing it in production replacing 4.1.x is any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LP-Trel
    With that said I must agree with Wullie. Common scripts are having problems with it due to minor changes that could have been avoided. At this point I wouldn't count on seeing it in production replacing 4.1.x is any time soon.
    That was me actually
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

The REAL question is... how many clients are even INTERESTED in MySQL 5.x and what would they be willing to pay?

If you can show it is worth the effort for a host to embark on such a thing so early, you may find someone willing to do so... but without that... Good luck.

Sure, not all hosts are out to 'make a quick buck', but there has to be a commercially viable reason to implement something, or else why bother? If it's going to cost you $100/month to implement and maintain, why do it for $25/month is signups?

That's the main problem you will see, though maybe you might have some forward looking hosts take a crack at supporting it.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs