Loose Virii - A Rant in 2 Acts

I weighed in not long ago on the thread about correcting people's grammar mistakes in threads. I was against it then and I still am. I hope I keep my head and resist disrupting threads by throwing in my corrections.

I've seen two errors though that have been repeated so often that I have to say something or I'll burst.

The verb that means the opposite of win is lose not loose. Loose is a noun that means the opposite of tight.

The plural of virus is viruses. Virii is actually wrong twice! If it followed the rules the pseudo-intellectuals want to give it, it would be viri.

Thank you for allowing me the space to get this off my chest. I think I can skip my session with the therapist next week.

Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

I have not heard the term 'Virii' used since the early 90's not sure what is correct and what is not but 'Virii' used to be the term used for 'Viruses'

Thumbs up

I could add a few to the list as well.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Virii is used by Cpanel Pro haha.

Use of the virii form

While the word viruses is more often used in medical and professional literature, the virii form remains popular in some Internet communities. There may be several reasons for the use of this word even when it is known to be unusual.

Leet-speak is the name given to variations on languages where frequent intentional misspellings are common, even using numbers and symbols to replace the letters of a word. These languages developed in an environment where plaintext occurrences of certain words were bound to attract unwanted attention, therefore misspellings developed as a way of communicating semi-steganographically on bulletin boards.

The use of plural forms from many different languages is one convenient way to vary the spelling of words without losing comprehensibility, and even today one attribute associated with hackers is a fondness for choosing unusual plural forms. See boxen and mouses for the most visible examples, although any of the 'rules' of English plurals could conceivably be misapplied to any word without danger of misunderstanding by hackers.
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus

Thanks for the info OKI-Paul. It didn't occur to me that it might be leet-speak. I guess I will have to live with that one.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    Thank you for allowing me the space to get this off my chest. I think I can skip my session with the therapist next week.
    I'm glad that WHT could help you in this way. We're here for the community.

While I notice grammar and spelling mistakes in posts, emails, and just about everywhere online, I rarely comment on them unless I'm asked for feedback. Not everyone is knowledgeable in these areas. And those who are good at grammar aren't good at some other things. I may be able to write some people's posts better for them, but they may be able to point out how I used some technical terms wrong. Chances are that they can help me with my questions, even if their grammar isn't perfect when they do so.

Think of a typical workplace staff room. Everyone has their pet peeves. Some people leave dirty dishes in the sink, others don't put books/materials away, some leave chairs pushed out in the path of traffic, and so on. Everyone who's annoyed by something probably does something that annoys someone else.

Excerpted from As the WHT World Spins.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    Some people leave dirty dishes in the sink, others don't put books/materials away, some leave chairs pushed out in the path of traffic, and so on.
    Gee, could you have been any MORE subtle?

I guess I need to go do the dishes, put away my books, and push my chair back in...

GOLLY, can't we have FUN around here any more?

Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs