Thread: Powweb Hosting

Thumbs down Powweb Hosting

Where to start with my gripe. How bout here:

When you host with PowWeb, your web site will never experience downtime due to maintenance or hardware failure because your site is load balanced evenly across multiple servers. If one server is ever down for any reason, your site will be served from other servers in the cluster. If you are looking for serious uptime, host with PowWeb!
    What does that mean to the average guy signing up for a new host? Well, let's just say I was an average guy, I'll interpret that the way some poor unsuspecting soul would...

Consumer: Wow! Finally, a host where I will never experience any downtime,"Due to Hardware failure". Sounds good to me!
    Consumer: My site will be load balanced evenly across multiple servers! Terrific!
    Consumer: So if one server goes down another will pick up from where that one left off and I'll be back up in no time!
    Consumer: Of course I'm looking for serious uptime, where do I sign!!!

So, my site has been up and down for the past month or so due to 'Dos Attacks'. I suppose I can't argue with the fact that DOS Attacks happen, but you would think a company as large as powweb would have had something in place to at the least curb such attacks.

I've been calling Powweb's support number and speaking with people regarding these so called DOS attacks and for the past month, they have not been able to give me an ETA on when we'll be fixed (Since I'm obviously not the only one with gripes). I guess it's indefinite since my site is still sporadically up or down, depends on how you prefer to look at it.

I've been with Powweb for 4 years now, so I know I'm partially to blame for this adventure, but they kept insisting that all will be better. I'm a dope because I kept falling for it. The service would return for months at a time uninterrupted! Then something would happen; for example: Powweb has a habit of performing system maintenance / updates at lunch time as well as dinner time. They suppose nobody surfs the web between 12 and 2 or between 6 and 11. You would think that they would send out a service announcement email for this type of stuff, but they don't. Instead, you'll find that your site is unavailable, then you'll have to log into this thing called, 'OPS' to see what the issue might be.

As I've already mentioned, for the past month, my site has been MIA for many parts of the day. One thing about my site is it's MySQL driven. So, anytime there's a problem accessing the DB, I'm sent an email letting me know that the DB was not available. Unfortunately, when the http server is getting smashed with these DOS Attacks, my DB doesn't get queries, so I don't have the nice Email message. Again, I'm a dope because I delete the error logs from the server not realizing that I'll need some proof that I've been down. Needless to say, I've saved 976 instances since 4/11/2005 where my website was totally inaccessible. This doesn't include the ones I accidentally deleted! I'll guestimate an additional 100 - 200 of these emails were deleted, and again, this does not include times like this where the MySQL server was actually available for query but my http server was being hammered with DOS Attacks.

So today, I was on the phone with, 'John'. He's a Powweb manager. John was very pleasant and understanding of the issues I am having with Powweb. He remained calm, cool, and collective through-out our conversation. I give John credit for his attitude, but at the end of the conversation, my site was still down with no ETA as to when it would be back up.

John made it clear that Powweb is aware of the problems many of the users are experiencing with these DOS Attacks and told me that they are installing new components to try to eradicate the issues. I asked, John, if they were still signing up new members and he confirmed that they were. I then asked him why they are signing up new members if they know they have problems with DOS Attacks and cannot possibly provide the 99% or so Uptime they claim. It's kind of like Honda releasing all of their 2006 model cars with seatbelt and airbag issues but they're working on those issues and will issue a recal when the problems are all resolved! Well, there was no answer for that one, but John did a very good job of taking my side of the situation. He did a very good job of making me feel comfortable while speaking with him. Again though, my site was still down at the end of the conversation and I feel that I got absolutely nowhere after a good 15 minute talk.

I had a google ranking of 4 for the past year, and within 1 month, I'm back down to a 1. See, you can't get page rankings if there is nothing to spider. When google or any other spider sees that your site is ... well, non-existent, you're SOL.

I'm obviously a bit disgruntled right now. Guess what... My site appears to be back now. Let's see how long this lasts.

In the meantime, If you're even remotely considering Powweb as a hosting 'solution', remember this thread, but don't just take my word for it. Powweb offers a free reeltime chat client. You can sign in and just watch for a few minutes. See what people have to say in realtime. Don't visit their forum though. I posted something in the forum called... awe heck, I was going to get you the exact name but it appears that at 9:13pm est, the powweb forum is down! I think it's called, "Before you sign up with Powweb"... This is a place where you can ask question about the service. I posted something in there to let people know to beware and they obviously removed my post. Hmph.... They don't want their name smeared all over their own website.

Powweb has some really great features, the only problem is that if your site is not accessible, you cannot take advantage of any of them.

4 years with Powweb and I see little hope for them. If you visit the chat forum, you'll see a consistent stream of complaints. You might also be solicited to try a new host... pstttt... hey Mr., over here... Try this host out. That happened to me twice today while in their chat forum!

Anyhow, I'm through venting. Godspeed to all of you who choose Powweb. Sure it's only 7.77 per month and they offer you the world, but it aint worth a dime if you can't access it!

I am hopefull Powweb service will improve, I just can't afford to move right now.

~Regards~
    Last edited by Morrow; 11-01-2005 at 10:36 PM.

Sorry to here about your experience with them.
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with them.

One thing is unclear to me. You were with them for 4 years. When did you start thinking that their hosting is clearly not good enough? From the very begining? From 4/11/2005? This last month that they were plagued by these DDoS attacks?

Idcdc,

My first complaints started around 7.3.2002, and I should have known back then however, my experience back then with setting up websites just started. I wasn't quite sure what to do. The term 'backup your MySQL Database' was a pretty scary thought at the time. As I learned, my database also started to grow.

As I've stated, I place some of the blame on myself because I should have left back then.

I still think much of my case is still valid though, and the reason for the post was to make people aware that if they were considering Powweb, to do their due dilligence first. If people still feel they want to use Powweb, go right ahead, but I can't encourage it, at least not until the service improves.

I know that not everything is perfect, but...

Thanks for letting me vent on here! This is a great site!

I still think much of my case is still valid though
    I didn't mean to imply the opposite. Thank you for the followup.

This is a great site!
    Heh, what can I say:

Was it your website being experiencing DDoS attacks or their server?

Maybe you should consider moving your website to a small low-budget VPS plan? That would be a good idea. http://www.jvds.com/ offers the cheapest VPS plans I have seen.

Basically powweb is promising 100% uptime, and they have failed to do so.

DOS attacks are usually only against one server, have you asked them to move you to another server?
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Was it your website being experiencing DDoS attacks or their server?

Maybe you should consider moving your website to a small low-budget VPS plan? That would be a good idea. http://www.jvds.com/ offers the cheapest VPS plans I have seen.

Basically powweb is promising 100% uptime, and they have failed to do so.
    due to maintenance or hardware failure
    That is their out on the downtime, since DOS attacks are not maintenance or hardware problems.
    I agree, they are using a shady sales technique of offering something that seems better than what it really is, but most new customers would never understand the difference in time.

I must say though, that with 4 years at their company, it would seem an overall contentness with the hosting would seem to be shown.

This is much like the case of having a hidden "not hidden" additional fee. Technically they DO say exactly what they offer. But they do so in a cunning way that they hope most people won't figure out or hold against them.

Real life analogy would be "I didn't lie, I just didn;t tell the truth."
    Forum Troll

I wouldn't call it, 'contentness'. I think a better description as to why I haven't moved is due to a lack of time.

As far as changing servers... Funny you should ask, I put a request in just for that and their response:

We apologize for the difficulty that you have encountered. However, our

system administrators are working very hard to stop the dos attacks that have

taken place on Cluster 04. At this time, we are not moving clients from one

server to another as the same issue can happen on almost any server. Thus, it

is best for us to figure out why cluster 04 has been hit so much to resolve

this issue.

We apologize once again for the inconvenience that has been experienced.

Sincerely,
    Believe me, cluster 4 is not the only cluster being affected. Cluster 4,5,7, and 9 have been really bad as well. That info is from the Powweb realtime chat.

I'll check out that other VPS hosting plan, but if it's too expensive, I'll have to wait.

Just like everyone to know that my site is down again.

This is ridiculous.

Sorry to hear that mate, Never trust people when they say they can guarantee 100% uptime....no one can ever guarantee that, regardless of whether they think they can, there are ALWAYS excuses for downtime.

PowWeb had a fine server setup before clustering, it's been customer complaints ever since. A cluster going down affects many more customers than a single server taking a hit. I got tired of the same story every week and left them after 2.5 years, I'm so glad I did. Many PowWeb customers hopped onto Site5 when their DDoS tale began to smell. Want a good tip? Try somebody's 30 day signup, there are many good hosts out there.
    bigwrench

I don't know why, but the particular cluster (04) had repeated DDOS attacks.
    I have a site on cluster 03, and I had DDOS related down time only once in last 6 month.
    So, it depends on the cluster (they have 9 of them).

Often, people who had problem think and say as if entire servers were having problem,
    but it's not really true in most cases.
    I bet people on cluster04 are not very happy, but I'm pretty happy, so far.
    I have much less downtime compared to when I was with Lunarpages (which wasn't bad, btw)

Also, PowWeb has been testing anti-DDOS measures, for some time.
    Unfortunately, the first one didn't work well, and they are testing another one.
    With repeated DDOS, I think they will become one of the most prepared host among "under $8 " category group, in the end.
    But it's true that some of fellow users have suffered many times.

As for custering, I like it eventhough there are some inconvenience.
    The host I use for a backup and file depot uses cluster technology, too.
    I would choose clustered setup over traditional single server setup if all other features were the same.

I think Site5 is a one of the good hosts. But they are not perfect either.
    People moved out of PowWeb have already suffered a bit, there, too.
    Also, they are more expensive than PowWeb.

The fact is you may have a problem with any host.

PowWeb, Servage <== very good place for cheap people like me Both are clustered.
    Site5, Hostgator <== very good place if you are willing to pay a bit more and prefer single server setup.
    LunarPages, ****** ... <== Not bad. (Single server setup. Less bandwidth.)
    Last edited by extras; 11-02-2005 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talkfreelance
    Sorry to hear that mate, Never trust people when they say they can guarantee 100% uptime....no one can ever guarantee that, regardless of whether they think they can, there are ALWAYS excuses for downtime.

Exactly. Well said.

Surprised we have not heard from Pow. Would like to know what they feel about this. I have always heard some pretty good things about them in the past.
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

I always not recommend people to use those "big" companies, I really think they oversell a lot.
    Artists News - http://www.videohitz.com
    MCSA Tutorial - http://www.mcsa-exam.com

There are advantage/disadvantage for both big and small hosts.

Advantage of big hosts:
    * The volume gives these hosts more financial power allowing them to purchase
    better equipements,.infrastructure, and hire better employees, if they choose so.
    * Also the volume gives them more power to discount, pay affiliate, advertise.
    * They may offer better supports (in terms of 24/7 coverage, or multiple support channels).

Advantage of small hosts:
    * More cozy, personalized attention/services, in some cases.
    * Custermization, flexibility, rapidity.

But both big and small hosts may perform very poorly even in the area they are supposed to have some advatages.

In case of small hosts, we have seen several disaster cases when one man operation went out/bought out.
    Although we've seen bad merger in larger hosts, I tend to think it's more frequent in smaller hosts, so far.

I would recommend smaller stable nice host to someone who needs lots of attention (a clueless newbie, for example), and bigger host for someone who would prefer less expensive and better performance equipements.
    But it depends on the needs of each person/organization.

I think one should develop a budget specifically for trying out different hosts, and a checklist for uploading files to each of the respective hosts you try. Don't sign up on a yearly contract, even if it saves money or gets you free months. Your goal isn't entirely cost savings, its uptime and compatibility with your needs. You should be able to evaluate most hosting companies within the span of a month. After that, try out the next one. When you've tried all of them on your list of possibilities, go with the one you liked best. But by all means, never throw that list away. You may need it again someday if the current host has problems.

6:45am on Sunday morning and my site has been innaccessible since Saturday night around 11:00ish.

I can trace route the site in 22 hops. Another site hosted on Cluster09 is also innaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrow
    6:45am on Sunday morning and my site has been innaccessible since Saturday night around 11:00ish.

I can trace route the site in 22 hops. Another site hosted on Cluster09 is also innaccessible.
    Are you still contacting powweb about this, or are you just posting in here in the hope that they will come across this thread?

Poolking... A little of both. When I posted this message, I was in their live chat room complaining. They told me it was an issue on my side but then mysteriously, after afew minutes of complaining, my site as well as the other site on Cluster09 became available again. Go figure.

Thats terrible. I was wondering how Pow Web's service was. Where do you host now?

Looks like he is still with them, as of this writing... I really wonder for how long ...
    Is there something called "hostochism"....?
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I will post a review here soon, i was hosted with Powweb for over 2 years.. Will leave you with two things to ponder; DoSS Attacsk and Mail problems.. will be back..

i host with powweb, havent seen our site MIA
    anyways, ill be watchful for this kind of claims since our contract is due to renew next month

ask them to move your domain to one of thier clusters
    Prime Outsourcing | offshore solutions | manual labor | staff leasing |
    because American & European labor are expensive