Exclamation 1.5 Years at Dreamhost and Loving it

Let me just tell you that they have the best customer service I've ever seen.
    You submit a ticket and they'll answer it within an hour or two.

They have a suggestions system in which you can directly influence the host.
    Say you make a petition for more bandwidth or an upgrade to the services. If enough people sign, it will be implemented by the DH Team.

The Control Pannel is custom made, very nice, and easy to go through.

Creating subdomains, ftp users, email accounts, and database is as easy as pie.
    Just click on the appropriate page, fill out the name (and user name and password for the latter) and you're set. You can easily edit information after everything is completed, if you need to.

They have a bunch of one-click installs (and soon will introduce one-click upgrades), which will install a service on any domain or subdomain you own.
    These installs include:
    phpbb2 forums, wordpress blog, advanced poll, Mambo (Joomla) CMS, osCommerce Store, MediaWiki Wiki, and a PhotoAlbum.
    (With the current suggestions, more photoalbums, encyclopedias, and CMS's will be added)

My package each year comes with:
    4800MB Storage - Increasing at 40MB per week
    120GB Bandwidth - Increasing at 1GB per week
    Unlimited Domains, Subdomains, and MySQL Databases
    600 Email Accounts
    SSI, Ruby on Rails, Full CGI Access, PHP 4 and 5, Full Unix Shell, and an SSL.
    All for $9.95 per month
    Two years makes it $7.95 a month.

It seems that I can't post a link, so go to Dreamhost dot com

[Edit: to remove PS]
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-03-2005 at 04:49 PM.

With your little PS note, it makes your post look like an advertisement. What is your domain being hosted by DH?

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, the whole thing looks like an advertisement.
    Last edited by sgarbus; 11-01-2005 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    With your little PS note, it makes your post look like an advertisement.
    Agreed.

For anyone interested, the use of MAXIMUM as a coupon code gives a discount of $97 (there's an alternative code that gives an 80% 1st year discount, but most people will only want the basic package described above). This means that the 1st year of the account described above will cost $22.40.

And no payment to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    With your little PS note, it makes your post look like an advertisement. What is your domain being hosted by DH?

Edit: Now that I re-read your post, the whole thing looks like an advertisement.
    Yeah, i thought it would look like that.

I reread it a few times and just decided to post. I'll remove the PS. I didn't mean for it to be an advertisement, just thought I should spread the word.

EDIT: It appears I cannot edit my first post. MOD or someone, can you take out the postscript?
    Last edited by Mephistox; 11-01-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Which domain do you host with them?

Yes, you still have failed to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse
    Agreed.

For anyone interested, the use of MAXIMUM as a coupon code gives a discount of $97 (there's an alternative code that gives an 80% 1st year discount, but most people will only want the basic package described above). This means that the 1st year of the account described above will cost $22.40.

And no payment to anyone else.
    Recurring charges remain the same ?
    I have an account with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistox
    Let me just tell you that they have the best customer service I've ever seen. You submit a ticket and they'll answer it within an hour or two.
    I can confirm that NOT to be the case.

Yeah I've had an acct with them for a while, last time I needed to contact them the turn around was over 18 hours.

I work support for a bunch of different webhosts as well as my own and always keep turn around under 3 hours. Dreamhost is one of those hosts that you use because the price is cheap, not because you need a solid all around host.
    Red Rock Servers.
    Rock solid hosting at rock bottom prices
    http://redrockservers.net

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Which domain do you host with them?
    I do not think he is going to come around any more

P.S. << Edit: to remove quoted text that was removed from the original post >>
    Looks like just someone trying to get some referrers? Excuse me If I am mistaken
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-03-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solidghost
    Recurring charges remain the same ?
    I have an account with them.
    Unfortunately, of course not, it's a new customer enticement.

More attractive, though than a 'money back' guarantee - and they have one of the best of those too at 97 days.

Plenty of time to decide if you want to stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse
    Unfortunately, of course not, it's a new customer enticement.

More attractive, though than a 'money back' guarantee - and they have one of the best of those too at 97 days.

Plenty of time to decide if you want to stick with them.
    lol, i forgot to ask them when I signed up. too bad.

it seems that they face quite a lot of downtime when I just signed up, but nowadays (like this week), only down for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    I do not think he is going to come around any more

Looks like just someone trying to get some referrers? Excuse me If I am mistaken
    well wipe that smug look off your face.
    toxic-penguin dot com

And
    No, I wasnt trying to get referers. Lets leave it at that ok? I dont want this topic to be centered around that bit of miscommunication.

All I can say is that their refund policy is a Dream. For customer.

What comes to their price/quality ratio in general, they're at least above average in my books.

PS.
    Mephistox, I stuck on your site for a while, it looks very promising. Take care!

I got the yearly account for $7.77 when they were promoting their 7-year anniversary, not bad. However, performance wise it's a bit of disappointing.

I have managed my own servers, and actually did a bit of hosting business too so I know the oversell trick. From the shell you can tell the system is quite busy all day.

I still have more than half a year with the $7.77 account but I alreay can't wait to switch. Since I need a solid shared account to develop some ruby and php application.
    DevOps!

Sounds like even though you want to switch, you're not that bothered with DreamHost, Canglan....was downtime not that much, overall? Any stats you can maybe share with us?

Trip

I only host my little blog on the Dreamhost account, so I didn't notice much downtime. But I do notice the speed glitches, which makes me feel to jump off.

Here's the top output.
    Code:
    top - 08:34:53 up 51 days, 16:55,  5 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.20, 2.20
    By the way, just today I found that their Rails setup is buggy. I needed to install/delete/reinstall Typo (a blog script written in RoR) for about ten times to get it working properly, that's just odd.
    DevOps!

EDIT: It appears I cannot edit my first post. MOD or someone, can you take out the postscript?
    I've taken it out.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

Question

toxic-penguin dot com

Netcraft and whois shows that the domain has only been registered since March of 2005.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Quote Originally Posted by frdalton
    Yeah I've had an acct with them for a while, last time I needed to contact them the turn around was over 18 hours.

I work support for a bunch of different webhosts as well as my own and always keep turn around under 3 hours. Dreamhost is one of those hosts that you use because the price is cheap, not because you need a solid all around host.
    I haven't used their support that much but they tend to reply within a couple of hours in my experience.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

toxic-penguin dot com

And
    No, I wasnt trying to get referers. Lets leave it at that ok? I dont want this topic to be centered around that bit of miscommunication.

This is better then any of my action movies.

that 777 code should be active again for their domain insane package for the year, good stuff
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support