Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Positive word on WebHostPlus/Dinix?

Im thinking of getting a dedicated server, and I narrowed my choices to Dinix, and JHServers, which both offer excellent prices on unmetered 10mbps servers.

I noticed Dinix was getting a lot of negative reviews after it was aquired by WebHostPlus... I was wondering if anything changed since then. Any positive expereinces?
      0 Not allowed!

I can normally find at least one or two positive things to say about even the worst providers but having experienced the shocking level of service by WebHostPlus after taking over Dinix I'm stumped on that one. My advice is to stay far, far away from them if you value anything related to good service.

Edit: How ironic... within 5 mins of this post I receive a spam email from WHP/Dinix (it would seem that they refuse to remove anyone from their mailings).
    Last edited by Jim_UK; 11-01-2005 at 05:42 PM.
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?
      0 Not allowed!

Yup, I got today's spam too. Two copies, in fact. Apparently 1 wasn't enough.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess they dare not spam me
      0 Not allowed!

....I just got a copy!
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

I just sent Dinix a question... and they added me to their spam list. wtf!
      0 Not allowed!

ROFL!!!! Well now, does that answer your question about them?

Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

another negative thing for WHP. I was with Dinix before, and their VPS was running great. But they havent deleted my email address from their list, then when WHP owns Dinix, they are sending out spamming letter every month (just received 2 letters today x( ). I have blocked their address. Would stay away from them
      0 Not allowed!

I too received WHP spam once again today. I could have swore I have blacklisted them about 10 times now.
      0 Not allowed!

Luckily I didnt choose them last month, though they provide real cheap managed server.
    Artists News - http://www.videohitz.com
    MCSA Tutorial - http://www.mcsa-exam.com
      0 Not allowed!

We are very sorry for any unwanted emails. We sent newsletter with our new plans to people who requested information from us, as well as clients who left. We value every signle client of ours and even the clients who left us. The people who asked to be taken off the list are off for good.
      0 Not allowed!

WHP,

I don't mind getting your emails for specials but just to note you guys aren't following CAN-Spam rules while sending out this notice. If you guys continue not to follow these rules you can be fined very heavily as well as blacklisted.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for the suggestion. We will change the way emails are going out
      0 Not allowed!

The people who asked to be taken off the list are off for good.
    No they're not. I have asked several times and continue to get them.
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?
      0 Not allowed!

I've reported over 20 emails this year alone. Each time, I send a request to get removed from the list, instead, I get 1 more email each time..

So now, when they send 1 spam, I get 20 emails of the same thing.

Dishonest spammers. I don't even have anything to do with them, and never will.
      0 Not allowed!

* ... and what about the original question of this post?

Hi,

I understand the spam part, I also got their mail about their latest offer. I used to be their customer, but then i moved to PowerVPS when they were having problems 6 months ago. PowerVPS is great, but this latest dinix offer is tempting. Especially as dinix used to be good one day. Any chance that they are good again?

Anybody has any real experience with the new dinix?
    Last edited by McRizer; 11-03-2005 at 05:10 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Why did I open my big mouth? I just got a heaping load of SPAM from them today *mutters something under his breath*
      0 Not allowed!

Anybody on the original question, please?
      0 Not allowed!

You asked for experiences.. I think the fact that they are spamming people who have absolutely nothing to do with them is an experience.
      0 Not allowed!

Exclamation Best way to find out.....

.... is to try it. I have made an order.

I will keep the community posted....
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by whp
    We are very sorry for any unwanted emails.
    No you aren't or you would have addressed this recurring issue by now.

We sent newsletter with our new plans to people who requested information from us, as well as clients who left.
    This does not constitute "opting in". You say "people who requested information from us". Sales inquries, are not a license to spam -- unless someone specifically signs up for your newsletter, you are breaking the law in sending them one. If a client has left, you no longer have a business relationship with them, continuing to send newsletters (and continuing to provide no opt-out method) to these people constitutes spamming. Lenny, get it through your head that when people say "WHP spams" this is the behavior they are (still) referring to. Stop this behavior instead of apologizing for it every other week when fresh complaints crop up about the same thing over and over and over.

We value every signle client of ours and even the clients who left us.
    No you don't. If you really do respect people, you will cease and desist from spamming them. If a customer leaves and you truly value them as a person or want a reference, you can't keep sending them your spam. This is another example of your words and deeds, being two different things.

The people who asked to be taken off the list are off for good.
    You mean like Bailey, elix and Jim?

Thank you for the suggestion. We will change the way emails are going out
    Bull. You've been informed of this before. You say this every time but you never actually modify your actions, to match these words. You can keep repeating your lies here and lose more credibility (you're currently in negative figures), or perhaps you could consider actually not spamming people for a change.
    Last edited by BigBison; 11-04-2005 at 08:43 AM.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...
      0 Not allowed!

1. I had been dinix customer for a year and had been very happy before they were overtaken by the current owner in March. The takeover was terrible, and I left them.
    2. I have received only 4-5 e-mails from them since then, they were all about their special offers. So I have never been the victim of any kind of spamming. Taking into consideration that I get about 50-60 e-mails from other companies I have never heard of, this is acceptable.
    3. I got an e-mail from them 2 days ago about thier dedicated server specials. I was tempted. I was not able to get any negative information about them on their services. Even in this forum the worst thing I heard was the spam that you guys are talking about. I understand that you are frustruated, but I was more interested in their servers.
    4. I realized that I am not getting information on that in this forum. So I decided to give them a second chance and try to subsribe for a new server. I sent out various pre-sale questions through e-mails (5 or 6). Each was answered within 15-90 minutes. Then I ordered and paid for the server. Automatic acceptance came in 1 minute, welcoming e-mail about the server details in 8 hours. I think it is normal. They forgot, however, to activate my WHM, so I needed to send out a support request. Response came in 5 minutes, activation took another 15 minutes for them. I was impressed. My server is up and running, so I am happy with them. So far. Of course my opinion might change in the future. If anything goes wrong, I will keep the community posted. Until then I am a happy camper.
    5. Their current offer of AMD 2200 managed Cpanel server with 512 RAM, 2x60 Gb hard drives, unmetered bandwidth (average 10Mbs on a 100Mbs port) for less than $100 is something I needed to try. I hope I will not regret.
    6. Give the guys a break. They did something wrong, terribly wrong about half a year ago. But they may have learnt from their own mistakes, and even if they learnt it in the hard way, it may well worth doing business with them.
    7. This is my 2 cents.
    Last edited by McRizer; 11-05-2005 at 03:32 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, that nightmare was six months ago, which is certainly recent enough for my taste... more on this in a sec...

The people in the company appear to be tied to old Russian family money.

Nobody has heard so much as an utterance from Alex Brecher since the DINIX buy-out. What'd they do, bury him in a shallow grave somewhere? Everyone was quick to point fingers at Alex saying he was the one who "sold out" to these yahoos, but from my position it looked quite probable that he was was flat-out lied to. And yes, I'd be happy to PM details that came direct from the source. WHP started with misrepresenting their company. Then WHP planned the DINIX move and its subsequent fiasco was, once again, their doing.

They lost customers' entire VPSs. Whole VPS's. These clients still don't have their data. Hello?!?!?!

I personally tried to help 2 clients get their new WHP cPanel servers set up with WHP after the DINIX buy-out. The first one never got set up after 7 days' time. The second one was set up on an old compromised kernel. The compromise had been published 18 months previously!!! When we pointed this out and requested the server be deployed with a current kernel, the response was that this work was usually billable at a rate of $250 per compile (I kid you not) because it was not covered under regular "support" (!!!) but that they would reload the OS this once to solve it. What?! You do not reload an OS and erase the client's data to simply recompile a kernel. Furthermore, a quality provider would never deploy a server on a bad kernel to start with.

And finally...

How do you plan to deal with the spam blocks on all of their IP space?

And what about the fact their network is single-homed and not redundant?

I would suggest doing your homework instead of waiting for everyone to just drop information into your lap. Just because something was posted a month ago or six months ago, doesn't mean it is no longer current. Do some reading. Use your head. Put 2 and 2 together.

Bailey
      0 Not allowed!

Talking

I will let the community know if I have any negative experiences. So far all my request were enetertained super fast.
      0 Not allowed!

I tried them out about a month ago. The machine was a Celeron 2.4GHz, 512 MB RAM, 2000GB traffic, Windows 2003 Std w Plesk, etc. Greatly priced! Seemed a bargain..!

The server was setup in 2-3 days (OK normal), but after 2 weeks of trying and after at least 10-15 support tickets, the initial setup was never finished and the server was un-usable (useless!). The problem was with the DNS cofiguration, which never worked.

I must say that the hardware and network was great, as far as I used it, but the support was AWFUL!

So I droped them and asked for a full refund.

After receiving my e-mail, they realised their support was not what it should be and said they were really sorry and that they would resolve the issues immediately, offering compensation for the 2 lost weeks.

It was just TOO late.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast