Exclamation LiquidWeb Hosting

Hey, sorry to make such a lame first post but i've been browsing for a few days and decided to sign up. I've recently been having troubles with my current host (ManageMyHosting.com) as I believe it recently changed ownership.

I have been looking for a new host and whilst browsing these forums I found out about LiquidWeb.com. They seems pretty good, and have some nice deals in the shared hosting section. I was looking at the $24.95 deal called "Shared Professional." It has just what I need. However, I was trying to do some research on them, look at reviews etc. I found quite a few reviews but half of them were praiseful, the other half said they are terrible! The only thing is, I could only find reviews from well over a year and a half ago, and I was just wondering if they have cleaned up their act?

I was also looking into DigitalDX.com as they have some good deals.

I did try to use the "Find a Host" and i've used quite a few things like that in the past few days, but none of them provide anything of use to me. I like to go off personal recommendation. All I need is that the host accepts PayPal, and preferably uses CPanel.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Matt.

Have you tried searching this forum for information, you'll find theres quite a large amount of information on them over here at WHT.

Good luck,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Have you tried searching this forum for information, you'll find theres quite a large amount of information on them over here at WHT.

Good luck,

Dan
    .... maybe for their server/VPS products. However, not much has been said about their shared platform.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I used them 3 years ago for a personall web site and they were pretty good. Don't know how they are now.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Hello Matt from across the pond, and welcome to the forums! A couple observations, suggestions, and questions for you: First, I think it's safe to assume LiquidWeb is one of the better companies around. They certainly charge very realistic prices, and own and operate their datacenter. After reading these forums for several years, I have found feedback on them to be largely positive. Second, a cautionary note about DigitalDX.com. It's strange that you found them, in light of also pursuing LiquidWeb, because some elements of their site look directly ripped from liquidweb's design. Their site in general looks questionable, and their plans are more oversold than LW's plans are. I would be wary of them.

Now for the necessary questions. What are your exact requirements, other than PayPal and preferably CPanel. How much storage/bandwidth/domains do you require? Are there other features that you need? Databases, etc? I ask these questions because from the looks of your budget, there are some top-notch hosts out there at or around your price level that may suit you even better.

Again, welcome,
    Trip

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    .... maybe for their server/VPS products. However, not much has been said about their shared platform.
    Yeah I don't need anything like that. I'm looking to spend no more than £15/$25 a month on hosting. I do need reliable hosting though. My host previous to ManageMyHosting had really crap servers that crashed almost every day when I hosted large files on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip
    Now for the necessary questions. What are your exact requirements, other than PayPal and preferably CPanel. How much storage/bandwidth/domains do you require? Are there other features that you need? Databases, etc? I ask these questions because from the looks of your budget, there are some top-notch hosts out there at or around your price level that may suit you even better.

Again, welcome,
    Trip
    Thanks for the welcome mate! I actually found DigitalDX from a different forum that a frequently go on (11500+ posts!)
    As for my needs, here they are in more detail:

Space: 2GB+
    Bandwidth: 80GB+ (I host a lot of files!)
    MySQL DBs: At least 5
    E-Mail Accounts: 10+
    E-Mail Forwaders: However many they offer!
    Domains: Just the 1
    Subdomains: 10+ if possible
    Budget: £15/$25 a month
    Payment: PayPal (Monthly, not quarterly etc)
    Control Panel: CPanel (1st choice), DirectAdmin(2nd choice) Just NO custom panels, I hated 1&1s custom panel and I try to avoid them now.

I think that's everything!
    Last edited by mjcneat; 11-01-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Hi again Matt,

Since you're looking at the likes of LiquidWeb, any further recommendations should be at least as good, if not better. The problem is that your budget kind of pins you between the good hosts and the great ones. Many top-level shared hosts use their own control panels, as well, so that's also a fact you may have to rethink.

Any particular reason why you don't want a custom control panel? Is it just because 1&1's was a nightmare, or because of the ease of transfering sites when the control panel is standardized? I ask that only because if you can live without a universally-supported control panel, WestHost.com or MediaTemple.net may be perfect for you. They both accept PayPal and they are at the top of the industry (MediaTemple is perhaps the most ripped host in the industry, and WestHost always graces Netcraft's monthly list of most reliable hosts). So at least you know who some the best guys are....

If you absolutely must have CPanel and PayPal, then I am kind of stumped because most hosts offering that much storage/bandwidth and CPanel tend to be smaller operations that will probably be more of a gamble on performance. For example, HostGator offers pretty impressive numbers, and CPanel, and is probably the most popular WHT-based shared host right now, but even they still garner mixed reviews. I would suggest Site5, but they currently don't accept PayPal as a form of payment. If you can maybe increase your budget a little again, crnc.net offers cpanel/paypal and I have only ever heard good things about them. Very fast New York-based servers.

Other than that, your demands don't leave a whole lot else unless I re-Google my efforts, and I don't have the time right now. Best of luck, though.

Trip

I suppose the CPanel isn't a must, it's just easy to use and I like the look of it! As for the 1&1 CPanel, it's a nightmare to navigate around, and it took me ages to figure out how to use it!

PayPal is a must though, and I suppose I could stretch to maybe $50 a month maximum!

I really do need guaranteed uptime though, as long as they live up to it of course! Just the best deal for my money, with a good company who I know isn't run by some 20 year old who owns a couple of servers!

I'll take a look into those hosts you mentioned, thanks for all the input so far!

Quote Originally Posted by mjcneat
    I suppose the CPanel isn't a must, it's just easy to use and I like the look of it! As for the 1&1 CPanel, it's a nightmare to navigate around, and it took me ages to figure out how to use it!

PayPal is a must though, and I suppose I could stretch to maybe $50 a month maximum!

I really do need guaranteed uptime though, as long as they live up to it of course! Just the best deal for my money, with a good company who I know isn't run by some 20 year old who owns a couple of servers!

I'll take a look into those hosts you mentioned, thanks for all the input so far!
    You might want to check out CartikaHosting.com's reseller plans - they offer quite a bit more than your looking for - but, the servers are top notch.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Hi Matt,

You may want to rethink your usage of PayPal and really try to get yourself a different form of payment. More and more hosts are straying away from it, mostly because of frozen accounts (see FutureQuest's forum ). And not to put down mripguru's suggestion of CartikaHosting, but I am just sticking to those hosts who I know are well established, broadly proven with searchable track records, and can deliver you the kind of uptime you demand.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this: Since you're in the UK, have you ever thought about a UK-based host, instead of one in the States? Depending on where most of your viewership will be located, maybe that might make a little more sense for faster connections, etc? Clook.net has probably the best reputation of any UK host I have heard of. Their uptime is top-notch and their support, so I have read, is blazingly fast. One of their mid-range reseller/multi domain plans would definitely be enough to get you going. A warning though, and I know you've already made it clear that you need this, but they DON'T accept PayPal (you can read why on their forums here). I just thought I should still suggest them if perhaps you change your mind and can figure out another way to pay.

So now I can level with you. If there is no choice but to pay with PayPal, I think you should give MediaTemple a shot and sign up with their Advanced (ss) plan for $20 a month. They give you 5GB and 75GB of rollover bandwidth. That's a little less than 80+GB hard limit you has first talked about, but it means than any bandwidth unused from one month rolls over to the next (which means it's really measured yearly at 900 GB/year, or 12 monts x 75GB/month). And even for a custom-made control panel, their panel is reputed to be one of the best, if not better than CPanel itself.

I am positive any of my suggestions will perform for you. Good luck,
    Trip
    Last edited by Trip; 11-01-2005 at 07:22 PM.

And not to put down mripguru's suggestion of CartikaHosting, but I am just sticking to those hosts who I know are well established, broadly proven with searchable track records, and can deliver you the kind of uptime you demand.
    Trip,

CartikaHosting is actually a member of this board with several hundred (I'm guessing here) customers to it's name. I'd say that's a pretty long track record. I'm sure you'll find quite a few reviews of them if you search (including mine).

So now I can level with you. If there is no choice but to pay with PayPal, I think you should give MediaTemple a shot and sign up with their Advanced (ss) plan for $20 a month. They give you 5GB and 75GB of rollover bandwidth. That's a little less than 80+GB hard limit you has first talked about, but it means than any bandwidth unused from one month rolls over to the next (which means it's really measured yearly at 900 GB/year, or 12 monts x 75GB/month). And even for a custom-made control panel, their panel is reputed to be one of the best, if not better than CPanel itself.

I am positive any of my suggestions will perform for you. Good luck,
    Trip
    Thanks for all the input, you are a legend! As for that packe from Media Template, that's the one I was just looking at. I was going through the ordering process but there was no option for PayPal. I have sent them an inquiry via their contact form, I suppose i'll be able to see how fast they respond!

As for the US/UK servers. I was looking at US hosts mainly because they seem to offer more space/bandwidth for less money which is always a good thing! It also seems that most people get faster download speeds from US hosts.

It also seems that most people get faster download speeds from US hosts.
    Not if they are in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse
    Not if they are in Europe.
    But most people who download files from my server will be in the US.

Well then all the more reason to be hosted on our turf then. Please let us know how it works out, Matt!

Cheers!
    Trip

Well it was all looking good with MediaTemplate. I got a nice long e-mail back from them within a few hours telling me how I could use PayPal or any other form of payment to pay them. The only problem is that with PayPal, you have to pay at least 1 year up front, and at the moment I can't afford to do that. So it looks like MT is a no go. They looked really good as well.

Edit: I see you mentioned HostGator in one of your first posts, Trip. I took a look and they look ideal! I'll try and look into them before I buy hosting on Friday. I was looking at the "Swamp" package located at http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml Thanks for all your help, you've been great!

Then when I finish college with a full time job, dedicated hosting here I come!
    Last edited by mjcneat; 11-02-2005 at 04:53 AM.

Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me edit the previous one again. I was looking around the VPS forum and found out about EuroVPS.com. I had a look around and they offer standard hosting as well. It seems pretty cool and they have good prices!

Primarily looking at the Web 750P package. I might consider getting VPS, but I don't know how to manage a Linux server or anything!

EuroVPS.com. I had a look around and they offer standard hosting as well. It seems pretty cool and they have good prices!
    Prices do seem good for a European server & reputation seems fine too.

Matt, sorry to hear about the MediaTemple situation. Many hosts have to guard against PayPal fraud (as I am sure they explained to you) by either not accepting PayPal at all, or only accepting it in large pre-paid amounts.

As for EuroVPS, I would definitely start on a shared account for now, and as your site starts to grow, I would spend some time learning some Unix and shell so you know how to admin a server a little bit when the time comes to move to a VPS. And even if you don't become proficient enough to do it yourself, you can make sure that your VPS is fully managed, as opposed to not. This will mean that there will be an admin that is there for you to do any installs, patches, security upgrades, etc. that you need done but don't know how to do yourself. That would probably be a good question to ask EuroVPS's sales staff, whether or not they offer fully managed VPS plans, as well as ones that you can manage yourself.

Also, EuroVPS is fast even for me even in the USA, so they must be wicked quick over on your side of the pond. If they take PayPal I think you'd be fine to start out with 650P, and then move up to 750P and then VPS as it's needed.

Best of luck,
    Trip

I think i'm going to order the 650P from EuroVPS tomorrow. It seems to have everything I need, and the feedback seems to be positive. It is an excellent deal, just what I am looking for, and I will have the chance to upgrade to a VPS solution if I ever choose to.

I'd like to thank Trip for being such a great help. Legend already!

Good to hear. Good luck, Matt!

Cheers,
    Trip