VPS management level?

HI all

New to VPS and looking at what options are available as I am in need of changing providers due to long standing support issues. Currently I have a standard reseller account with 20GB space and 250GB bandwidth, 3 IP's, personal nameservers etc.

I have asked for quotes through host quote etc and in the WHT forums (naughty me) at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=457362 if you are interested in what I am looking for.

Anyway to my real question for this post is the management level.

Unmanaged, Managed and Fully Managed are the three options I am seeing many provides have.

So what is the right choice?

I have experience using WHM and cpanel and I am quite happy with some unix commands - but I am very new at unix stuff - but prefer unix based servers - just use to them I guess

I am confident to be able to go through error logs, test scripts (Perl and PHP) for errors and can usually find most, usually permission settings that someone has not set properly, but I am not a programmer in any way, I cannot code scripts from scratch - I am more a trouble shooter only.

Anyway so what is best for me? What expereince does one really have to have to be able to confidently use an unmanaged VPS?

Cheers

Greg

It's a budget issue

It depends upon your budget. If you had previously worked with the control panel provided by your VPS provider and know things very well then you can opt for unmanaged.

If you don't know anything then go for managed as you will get support for all issues from your provider.

You have to check this matter with your provider and they can be able to give you good opinion.

Best of luck

What expereince does one really have to have to be able to confidently use an unmanaged VPS
    The fact that you do not know indicates that you are better off with a fully managed solution.
    I am a programmer, but know little about administering a server.
    You may get a barebones OS installed on an unmanaged system, but from there, you are on your own. You'll need to install and configure all your own software, sort out security issues and do all your own troubleshooting.
    Managing a server yourself involves a lot more than knowing WHM, Cpanel and fiddling with a few scripts.

If you have the time and desire to do this, fine - I know I would rather concentrate my efforts elsewhere and let people who have been doing server administration for years handle that side of things.

FalseDawn - thanks for your comments and I agree with you and I am now just trying to work out if to go with managed or fully managed - the varous VPS providers have slightly different meanings for each - so it is a little bit of research each one and identify what is really included.

Cheers

Greg