start webhost business

Hi

What do yo think of starting webhost business, can we make money, because
    we have to complete with thousand other webhosting

I think webhost is the biggest online industry, is hard for the beginner to start in
    this industry

need to spend a lot of money to advertise our site .

Quote Originally Posted by studior
    Hi

What do yo think of starting webhost business, can we make money, because
    we have to complete with thousand other webhosting

I think webhost is the biggest online industry, is hard for the beginner to start in
    this industry

need to spend a lot of money to advertise our site .

No,

You cannot make money hosting, you will fail miserably. Why? Well, any reasonable amount of educated research will show you how I came to that plain and simple conclusion (but dont bother asking how, you need to do your own research).

studior,

It is indeed possible to make money in the web hosting business, but you must increase your knowledge first. Also, before starting, decide on a niche market you would like to conquer. It is not easy being a one-size-fits-all host.

Here are some resources that may help you out:
    - WebHosting.info
    - TheHostingNews
    - TheWHIR

There are many more out there, but those should get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Spend some time on this forum to get a feeling for running a web hosting business. There is some great knowledge and advice here.

Christoph
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Hello,

I think web hosting business may be easy to get start, but may be not quite easy to make money.

By virtue of the fact that you're posting this in the Running a Web Hosting Business section of WHT, you'll get an overwhelming number of "sure you can" responses. I'm with them on this (but with the disclaimer that you really should plan and be comfortable with a growth rate that is sustainable).

It's not a "if you build it, they will come" kind of business for sure. But, if you build it right and you get some awesome customers that are a pleasure serving, you'll manage to build that great community that builds on its own.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

im starting mine up, ill let you know if its possible in 3 months lol

good idea for a gimmick: small free hosting accounts to draw in traffic

You can make money in the web hosting business. I have no doubt that there is a small web hosting company out there, right now, barely making any money but through smart decisions and shrewd business practices they could become a very successful company one day. You just have to start somewhere and slowly move your way up.

On a side note, will you make A LOT of money? No. Not with the intense competition out there. You have to factor this into your decision of starting a web hosting company. Be prepared to not make a lot of money for a while...

Hosting isn't new. Just like you and I, a lot of entrepreneurs and business people have their hands in the cookie jar. What's left when all of the big, tasty cookies are taken out of the jar?

Crumbs... or "niche markets". ;o)

JP
    JP
    Justified Existence - my blog on blogging and writing for a living.

You do need to pick your own little corner of the market to offer services to. Either specialty services or specific type of customer or specific area. I spent 2 years basically covering the world with very little growth due to the competition. The last year has been focused on the local area and I have doubled my client base.

It does help to offer free services to some to help get known. That's something we started doing recently and those you offer the services to do tell others about you.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

Starting local is a good idea. I have recently set up some advertising in smaller newspapers that focus on one group of people (ie, specific languages). Your area might not have many competitors, therefore it can help your hosting business stand out.

Webhosting is no different then any other business. Just because it is on the web it just makes it harder to attract customers since competition is much greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich
    Webhosting is no different then any other business. Just because it is on the web it just makes it harder to attract customers since competition is much greater.
    Rich is right, it's like any other business - and if you don't how to run a business in general, you will most likely fail...too many people (incorrectly) think that their incredible server skills will ensure success.

Key word here is 'business'..

Just because you know how to setup an account in cpanel doesn't mean you can run a business..

In my line of work you see alot of kids using the tagline "We are gamers!" to sell servers. This apparently is their strength and contibution to the 'company'..

Let me tell you.. Any dope can set up a server.. It takes business skills to create and keep a successful business..

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine
    No,

You cannot make money hosting, you will fail miserably. Why? Well, any reasonable amount of educated research will show you how I came to that plain and simple conclusion (but dont bother asking how, you need to do your own research).
    And leasing dedicated servers and colocation is much more profitable?

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil

I would venture a guess that prioritycolo.com does pretty darn well selling colo/dedicated..

There's a big difference between starting a webhosting business and owning your own datacenter..

Its very hard to start from scatch, but its worth giving it ago. Good luck

Agreed, CSHosting. You are obviously a bron entrepreneur! The journey is long and hard - but the journey is precisely what makes it so fun.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    Possibly, but it's also much more expensive to provide.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Spend as much time as you can around forums like these where you can "absorb" knowledge about the webhosting industry. Spend a few months at least staying in touch with the industry to gain familiarity with the trends, etc.

During this time, pick a niche market and develop a brand that will be appealing to the customers in that market. A business plan wouldn't hurt either.

Frankly, until you become a lot more familiar with the hosting industry, it will be difficult to succeed. Competition is strong, but the market is huge and it is possible to succeed if you do your homework and work hard.