hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Unix help needed

Forum Jump

Unix help needed

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2002, 06:36 AM
WHT Addict

Unix help needed

Hi everyone,

I have this project due to be handed in later today, and am stuck on two unix questions that i need to answer for it. I would appreciate if someone could help me out with the commands that i need.

Question 1:
show all lines in filename.txt that have exactly 6 words (existing of lowercase a-z).
Should use grep for this.

Question 2:
show all words in filename.txt which are spelled in ascending alphabetical order, eg: 'art', or 'in'.
This should be done using egrep.

Thank you very, very much if you could help me out here.

Nico V.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2002, 07:05 AM
<insert something witty>

Re: Unix help needed

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoV
Hi everyone,

I have this project due to be handed in later today, and am stuck on two unix questions that i need to answer for it. I would appreciate if someone could help me out with the commands that i need.

Question 1:
show all lines in filename.txt that have exactly 6 words (existing of lowercase a-z).
Should use grep for this.

Question 2:
show all words in filename.txt which are spelled in ascending alphabetical order, eg: 'art', or 'in'.
This should be done using egrep.

Thank you very, very much if you could help me out here.

Nico V.
Here you go:

man grep
man egrep

Manual pages are free, exist on any decent system and are invaluable.

Use google.com and search away and learn, or buy a book and learn, if you have any further questions.

I assume you've never hung out in usenet before, but about 20% of the questions are people that want answers, and they will never understand why or how they work.

If you would provide some examples of what you are trying, or how you're trying this, I'll be willing to help. However, you're not going to learn if people just post the answer. After all, this is your class assignment and your home work. If you want help, let me know what you've got and I'll be glad to help you.

Old 04-19-2002, 08:40 AM

I was going to answer the question right away, but when I saw Tim Greer's post I changed my mind.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2002, 12:34 PM
WHT Addict

I get your point Tim Greer, and I wasn't exactly just going for the easy way with this task. I actually had 50 different questions, and used the internet to solve them all, but for some reason couldn't solve these.

Now i have actually done the first question, which wasn't that hard - i was just looking for a complicated solution to the question, stupid me

The second one though, i am still stuck on, So i would really appreciate a little help with it.

NicoV

Old 04-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

You're allowed to use commands besides grep and egrep, right?

Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Stanford Researchers Increase Cost Effectiveness of Cloud and Contribute to Cleantech Web Hosting News 2014-04-17 14:25:11
Linux Malware Operation Windigo Infects 25,000 Web Servers Web Hosting News 2014-03-19 11:44:53
IBM Technology Sends Virtual Machines to Where They'll Have Network Bandwidth Web Hosting News 2013-10-25 11:46:15
Amazon Web Services Launches Global Certification Program Web Hosting News 2013-05-03 09:56:27
Web Host GeekStorage Opens New Office in Oklahoma, Names Account Manager Web Hosting News 2012-07-31 14:04:33