Can you lock online pdf files?

I have a client who displays a number of pdf files online. She has just realized that when creating the pdf file, you have the option to "lock" it and its contents. However, she now has a bunch of files that are not locked (never were).

She was told that her web host can somehow lock them. Is this true?

(Otherwise, she has to download them all, lock them, then upload again).

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Depends what you mean by 'lock'.

In Adobe Acrobat (the program, not the reader software) there is an option to add security measures to PDF files -- such as include passwords to open the file, file locking so that edits cannot be made, and also file locking so that it cannot be printed (there are also other options, I can't remember them offhand).

However, note that these options are guaranteed to work only in Acrobat Reader -- and some require a certain minimum version of Reader to be effective. If someone truly wanted to get at your files, there is not much you can do about it. For example, there are programs floating around the net that will crack the passwords for PDF files.

Now, if somehow her host can batch process this locking of files ... then maybe. Otherwise, you'd have to explain what you mean by lock.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

There are a number of the pdf's in which they display their Director's signature. And so I'm they just want to prevent editing. When they lock a file, one can still access it by direct link on the site, but when the file is opened, you can see a padlock on the bottom left corner.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials