Thumbs down JaguarPC VPS 1-Month Review

Hello All,

As I come up on my 1st month of service with JaguarPC (thanks to Jag's special on WHT which I got in on), I felt it prudent to write a review of my time with them thus far.

Sales: Not really applicable (7/10 if I had to put a number to it)

While I didn't really interact with the sales crew too much, I did find Jag and crew to be helpful in sales issues and in getting clarifications on technical issues (from an administrative standpoint, anyways). I'm sure that these guys do work their a$$es off for their customers - and I'm not faulting them for that. I'll get to what I am faulting them for in a moment.

Support: 5/10

Here's where I think they fall tremendously short. Apparently, they only have 3-4 techs and 1 "Senior Administrator" who doesn't work on weekends but does "check the tickets status and works on them over the weekend" says 1 JaguarPC tech on a routine firewall installation that they themselves advertised here as part of their "fully managed services"! Tickets otherwise were answered in a semi-timely fashion (though, if memory serves, and I'd have to check and confirm - took over 12 hours to get a decent reply, after the ticket was pushed to sales - and I still didn't get a proper satisfactory answer there.). Also, just to test them (albeit accidentally) I took down apache to see if they were monitoring my VE as they said - nope, more than 24 hours later the VE's Apache was still dead in the water, I ended up just fixing it myself (I'm not using this VE for anything important at the moment so I could afford to do this).

I seem to recall Jag saying on a related WHT thread that their techs are mainly based out of their office in Texas and some are remote. I'd like to contest that statement and state that from my experience, at least all of the techs that I've dealt with, while probbably nice people and all, are all remote in India. That's at least what I've gathered based on my ticket interactions. This really isn't a big deal to most people, as long as the tickets are getting handled but to me personally, it kind of bugs me that people have to hire outside of the country, just because of cheap labor. That just makes me sick.

Network: 10/10. No complaints.

Network appears to be solid, as does the VE node for the most part.

Billing: N/A - never had to deal with those folks.

All in all: 5.5/10

They're not the greatest, they're by far not the worst. However, for the money - you could probbably do better. Thats it for me.

I should also add that I just saw this in my login messages:
    Last login: <date snipped> from host180-231-dsl.dols.net.pk

Jag - so much for your mostly American staff.

Update: APF was installed (finally) on my VE. However, it was not configured - so, all of my services were down except for SSH.

Edit: They configured it upon request
    Last edited by mripguru; 10-31-2005 at 12:28 AM.

.... and when cPanel updates ran, they failed due to the firewall blocking the neccessary ports.

Jaguarpc is just new on the vps industry so maybe give them time to improve

Quote Originally Posted by mukamo
    Jaguarpc is just new on the vps industry so maybe give them time to improve
    I know - I plan on it. FWIW, it's not half bad - just their "Managed Support" needs a bit of work.
    Last edited by mripguru; 10-31-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Hi,
    Ive spoken with you several times on aim personally and sorry you feel our service is subpar. I have to tell you though your statement above redarding our staff is not correct, we do not have one single person that lives or works from India. We have lots of remote personnel and some of them in canada or other countries, thats true, but not India. Not that I have anything against India, but we do have some Pakistany members. {named removed} is probably our most experienced support guru and has worked with us for over 4 yrs now, he is from Pakistan but lives in Canada now, should he be looked down on for that? Most our staff is in the US, but I dont deny or feel ashame that its not all here.

We have clients all over the world and if we can take their money we can give some back. Im sorry you disapprove of hiring outside the country, non of our US staff members are worried about their jobs being outsourced. We hire and train all of our techs individually. There are pleny of companies that manage with outsourcing and I wish all those companies and their outsourced counterparts the best. I applaud outsourcing and what its done for hosting.

On to the real meat of your post though, I spoke with you about that firewall and understand you probably didnt like what I had to say in the end. Sorry is all I can say. I beleive I told you about apf and the vps environment specifically that its not suited for vps out of the box and requires extra configuration.

In our defense with the monitoring, I dont think we state anywhere that we monitor your vps and if thats printed somewhere please let me know so I can correct that. We monitor the main server your vps and every one of our vps servers, but not the vps instances. People buy a vps for many different reasons and we dont monitor them for any stock set of ports or activity.

I take from your post you believe our support, specifically off hours and weekend type needs improvement. Your experience and comments are noted and will admit being fairly new to the vps market has been a learning experience. It will only improve here with our vps product line. We didnt last this long in the hosting industry by not knowing how to listen to clients and take action based on good feedback.

Thanks for your feedback and review.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    Hi,
    Ive spoken with you several times on aim personally and sorry you feel our service is subpar. I have to tell you though your statement above redarding our staff is not correct, we do not have one single person that lives or works from India. We have lots of remote personnel and some of them in canada or other countries, thats true, but not India.

Not that I have anything against India, but we do have some Pakistany members. {named removed} is probably our most experienced support guru and has worked with us for over 4 yrs now, he is from Pakistan but lives in Canada now, should he be looked down on for that? Most our staff is in the US, but I dont deny or feel ashame that its not all here.

> Yea, sorry - Pakistan. I don't think he should be looked down on for that at all. >I'm just of the mind that we shouldn't be outsourcing support to other countries >when we have issues here at home with jobs, etc.

We have clients all over the world and if we can take their money we can give some back. Im sorry you disapprove of hiring outside the country, non of our US staff members are worried about their jobs being outsourced. We hire and train all of our techs individually. There are pleny of companies that manage with outsourcing and I wish all those companies and their outsourced counterparts the best. I applaud outsourcing and what its done for hosting.

I too applaud what outsourcing has done to the industry, though I personally feel that we should be enforcing our own economy - not the economy of another country.

On to the real meat of your post though, I spoke with you about that firewall and understand you probably didnt like what I had to say in the end.

> Actually, it wasn't what you said in the end - see ticket # 2210295 for more
    > details.

Sorry is all I can say. I beleive I told you about apf and the vps environment specifically that its not suited for vps out of the box and requires extra configuration.

In our defense with the monitoring, I dont think we state anywhere that we monitor your vps and if thats printed somewhere please let me know so I can correct that. We monitor the main server your vps and every one of our vps servers, but not the vps instances. People buy a vps for many different reasons and we dont monitor them for any stock set of ports or activity.

Taken from your WHT ad:

We will :
    - provide the initial setup and secure services
    - provide upgrades to your OS including security patches
    - provide free remote hands for troubleshooting
    - provide free monitoring of your vps 24/7 and provide reports
    - provide free hardware replacement
    - provide a customized firewall
    - just about anything you need done serverwide
    I take from your post you believe our support, specifically off hours and weekend type needs improvement. Your experience and comments are noted and will admit being fairly new to the vps market has been a learning experience. It will only improve here with our vps product line. We didnt last this long in the hosting industry by not knowing how to listen to clients and take action based on good feedback.

Thanks for your feedback and review.
    Your very welcome - I look forward to seeing these improvements

On to the real meat of your post though, I spoke with you about that firewall and understand you probably didnt like what I had to say in the end. Sorry is all I can say. I beleive I told you about apf and the vps environment specifically that its not suited for vps out of the box and requires extra configuration.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you just need to configure the ports you want open and have MONOKERN=1. Thats all the configuration thats need as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonSCSN
    That seems hard to believe

Is that comment even neccessary? You know each of these guys personally and our operations inner workings? I dont usually get upset with typical wht nonsesne like this but please take your trolling elsewhere!
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by pztup
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you just need to configure the ports you want open and have MONOKERN=1. Thats all the configuration thats need as far as i know.
    I cant say for sure, Im going by what someone here in the office said. Im not really up to date on all the tech support/admin aspect of things these days, thats what my staff is hired to handle. If I relayed bad information then I am wrong and will take the heat on that.

thanks for the honest review guys and good to see he intereacts, i understand the need for a life outside of the computer
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert
    i understand the need for a life outside of the computer
    <lighthearted joke>
    What, your not chained to your keyboard? *giggle*
    </lighthearted joke>

Why to make a revolution for a simple thing? If you are not comfortable with your host provider go for a new one. There are plenty of Vps providers all over the world! Note: I am not saying that JaguarPC is bad or good, I have no experience with them but all hosts have bad days! If you give a 5 out of 10 to them, you are not totally upset and the "thumbs down" icon is an overreacted way to express it.

JaguarPC has offered you an explanation of how things are done with them. That's a good point.

I think that a client has the right to complain and the provider has the right to answer with honesty to the client, but a 1 month review is not a real trend on how the host will serve his clients on the next six months or a year!

Quote Originally Posted by a l e r o n
    Why to make a revolution for a simple thing? If you are not comfortable with your host provider go for a new one. There are plenty of Vps providers all over the world! Note: I am not saying that JaguarPC is bad or good, I have no experience with them but all hosts have bad days! If you give a 5 out of 10 to them, you are not totally upset and the "thumbs down" icon is an overreacted way to express it.

JaguarPC has offered you an explanation of how things are done with them. That's a good point.

I think that a client has the right to complain and the provider has the right to answer with honesty to the client, but a 1 month review is not a real trend on how the host will serve his clients on the next six months or a year!
    Your absolutely right there - and let me correct 1 thing: The hardware nodes/bandwidth to my mind are excellent. However, the "managed support" aspect of it is what bugs me the most about JaguarPC. I'm not done with them yet - as I believe that they might just need time to perfect their proccesses a bit. I have until January with them and will continue to evaluate them until that point - they truely do have potential to do great things if they tune up their support department a bit (i.e. have more than one Senior Admin, or at least have people that are as knowledgeable covering the weekend shifts so they can handle the more complex issues/requests without the need for a "Senior Admin" to look at it on Monday if over a weekend).

To their credit, I actually have another VPS at Data393 which exhibits the same APF symptoms as my JaguarPC VPS does with regards to downloads, etc. This is something that the APF developers will have to look into I guess.

Another thing I should correct in this review is that the average score was actually influenced by a 0 for billing - I guess I should have made that a 10 as I have no experience with it directly (I just wasn't sure how to compute Not Applicable). Assuming I did give a 10/10 for billing, it would change the score to 8/10. I guess that was a bit misleading.

I should also note that this review was NOT meant to slam JaguarPC at all - but rather to add to the voices already heard on this board about their products (some positive, some negative). JaguarPC for the most part has been alright - just not what I'd expect from a managed provider.

Jag, per your PM - I'll write a fuller review for you later today for you to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    I should also add that I just saw this in my login messages:
    Last login: <date snipped> from host180-231-dsl.dols.net.pk

Jag - so much for your mostly American staff.
    Pakistani domain name!

I wonder if they outsource to Netsol or if the company is actually Pakistani. Ohh well it is time companies started making investments in Pakistan considering our official language is english.

Actually, I've since learned that while their techs are not in the US (some of them), they are direct JPC employees and not outsourced as originally thought.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Is Netsol a pk support team? I think I stated above we do have some PK techs and I wouldnt dream of hiding that and downplaying that connection. Our staff, every bit of it, Pakistany, Canadian, American, are all very valued and talented people and I stand behind it all.

mripguru, perhaps an update to this review is needed since its been pulled from the dead. No doubt a lot has changed since then.

Yes, netsol is one of the biggest. Pakistan has a lot of outsourcing support teams now. The market is young and according to Antony Mitchell more profitable than India's market.

mripguru, perhaps an update to this review is needed since its been pulled from the dead. No doubt a lot has changed since then.
    No problem at all - comming soon to a forum near you .
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Ah another thread with bad review about jpc, well ur problems are quite different than mine, i would give hardware node as : 6/10 and Network as 5/10 . Rest is same as urs but support i might give 8.5/10 . and yes they have people from pakistan as i also had a root login entry from .pk also.

Cheers
    ---===Stay Alive====----

Quote Originally Posted by stayalive
    Ah another thread with bad review about jpc, well ur problems are quite different than mine, i would give hardware node as : 6/10 and Network as 5/10 . Rest is same as urs but support i might give 8.5/10 . and yes they have people from pakistan as i also had a root login entry from .pk also.

Cheers
    Actually, I think the box I was on at the time just had issues - I came back to JPC at the beginning of this year and I've been relatively impressed by what getting onto a different node. Have I had problems? Sure. I think as alot of people here on WHT have mentioned, it's not about the problems that you have with a provider - but it's what they do to solve the issue and learn from the experience. It's just part of life .

I think alot of the score that I gave support was due to an assumption that I shouldn't have made - which was that they were outsourced. I would say that, for the most part, they're competent techs/admins and they know what they're doing . I would have to agree with you, knowing (from Jag, as he and I talk quite frequently) that they are in fact not outsourced (just outside of the US) really gives me a whole new perspective on this whole situation. It's not that I'm against people from other countries who do support, etc. - not at all - but more of the fact that I don't like outsourcing in general (I mean, if you can't directly control and manage the support team (the "front office", if you will) then what would that say to your customers?

I actually started at their Houston datacenter on one of their VPS nodes which apparently had a bit of a load issue (I won't say overloading/overselling because in actuality, it was just a temporary issue that was resolved after I had been moved off) and then I came to rest on a server called draco - performance seemed to be much better, etc. and I was happy. A few days later, the network became *really* slow (turns out it was a Level3 issue at GNAX - not JaguarPC's fault) - they fixed that and all was well. Then, from what I was told, is that there were a couple of customers truely "abusing" their equal share CPU thus causing a lack of resources to some of the nodes - this went on for about a week until it was finally solved and to this day, my VPS is still running smoothly with (I believe 13 or 14 days of uptime).

I currently have 3 VPS' with them for various projects, etc. and I can't say I have any complaints (except for some issues with the current MyJPC control panel - but that's a totally seperate issue).

In any event, I think that JPC has definately gotten to be a "market leader" in it's own right and I wish them many years of success in this industry.

I'm not going to follow the format that I did originally in this review because I think that a description of what transpired speaks louder than any numbers I could give because at the end of the day, it's not a numbers game - it's about proven performance - and this is what JaguarPC provides and I'm proud to be a part of something like that, even as just a customer.

As a personal note, Greg (Jag) and I chat quite a bit - he's helped me out personally a few times during these issues, giving me updates as to what was going on and when they expect to fully resolve the issue at hand. I've never felt talked down to or treated as being inferior when talking to Greg, I can honestly say that when I'm talking to Greg - I feel like I'm talking to someone who's my equal in this industry, and yet (while I am a proficient Systems Administrator) I'm just a small time customer.

Based on his posts here at WHT (and there are many), I seriously believe that he and JaguarPC will go far - heck, maybe even outlive us .

Here's to many years of boring and uneventful hosting

Cheers
    BTW, I just wanted you to look at the date of this review (October 30th, 2005) - alot HAS changed since then, I've gotten more info from Jag and his team and have also really had a chance to stretch the limits of my VPS'. So, I guess this would make it my 9 month review.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    BTW, I just wanted you to look at the date of this review (October 30th, 2005) - alot HAS changed since then, I've gotten more info from Jag and his team and have also really had a chance to stretch the limits of my VPS'. So, I guess this would make it my 9 month review.

Not really people still login from pakistan, so i dont see what has changed .
    ---===Stay Alive====----

Not really people still login from pakistan, so i dont see what has changed .
    Maybe so, and Jag has said as much. However, what has changed is that I found out that they are DIRECT JaguarPC employees - and not outsourced like I once thought.

Thats cool...

I sent a email in with a offer but I havent received a email back for my custom plan...