Hosting Picture website

Just wanted to know the best host for a picture website I am planning to host. Of course it does not have any adult content, its a family personal website.

I would require atleast 5 GB space, and 1 gb bandwidth
    MySql/Php support

any suggestions ?

willing to spend $4 per month or less

5GB space is useless with only 1 GB bandwidth...it would take you over 5 months to upload your files because bandwidth will keep running out. Also, for a hosting company to provide reliable service, it will cost more than $4/mo.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Hello, cyberdentist

"elix" is right, 1GIG band with 5GB Space you will need to have patience . And soon or later you will be asking your host to upgrade your bandwidth.

Good Luck

You may want to talk to hosts about a custom plan. As most plans with 5gb of space have far more bandwidth available. If you only need a bit of bandwidth you might be able to save money by getting a custom plan.

Good luck in your search.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

I would specifically look for a host that offers an image gallery in their hosting plan - unless of course, you would know how to install one yourself.

Also, I agree with the others in that you will need more bandwidth than that.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

There are a lot of host that serve customers who need to store picture galleries. I have even think you can find some very cheap offers. I suggest you to search in Yahoo or Google for "image hosting".

Best Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

D,

I think he might want a picture website all to himself (or herself! ) instead of a picture host.

My first thought is that cyberdentist made a typo when asking for 5 GB of disk space. Otherwise, that is an awwwwwwwwful lot of pictures.

Even at 250 KB a pic, that's 20,000 pictures!!

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Maybe he has a REALLLYYY big family!

Thanks for the response guys, but I want to configure my own photosharing website and not use the ones that are already existing. I hate the ad's in any free image hosting site and wanted to customize it to my needs.

yes actually as a matter of fact, I do have a huge family ..... and probably about 10 or 15 ppl will use it regularly. SO considering each has atleast 500 MB i will need 5 GB .

I am sure i can get more bandwidth easily .. i was considering 1and1's new hosting plan for 2.99 with 1 GB space, I can ask them for more space.

The only thing I can suggest is not looking for the "cheapest" price. Not always necessarily your best choice in the long run.

Oh, and BTW, I like the "Crocodile Boots" joke on your site.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

cyberdentist - do a search here on WHT for 1 and 1. You might want to think twice. There seems to be a lot of threads here about problems with them.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Yea, you'll need ALOT more bandwidth that that if you wish to really fill out that 5 GB of space if you don't want to take atleast 5 months. Plus people wouldn't be able to view every single picture in one month aswell without it all going out. You'll need atleast 5 times that then. Which means you'll want atleast around 25 GB bandwidth. I'd also recommend a better host. $$$ + Better host + Smaller plan > $ + Bad host + Downtime + Bigger plan.

I'd say you'd be looking in the range of $10-20. A quick quote at HostVoice.Com would be a good place to look.

5Gb of space are likely to come with 50GB+ of data transfer. If you actually intend to use any of those, I recommend you pay significantly more than $4.

I can ask them for more space.
    It never hurts to try, but keep in mind that larger hosts have very fixed procedures and they rarely make concessions when it comes to customizing their hosting plans. If you want a host that you can negotiate with, the smaller ones should be up on the list.

Whats wrong with imageshack?

Quote Originally Posted by swatdacup
    Whats wrong with imageshack?
    The OP wants his very own site, and does not want some ad-supported site. Also, ads aside, he needs the flexibility that having his own site would bring.