Laptop Questions

Hey all,

Just bought my first Laptop. So far I'm pleased, but a question..

I bought an HP Pavilion Notebook, and so far I can tell the batter won't last that long. Maby an hour and a half tops. So, two questions

Is it good for the battery and laptop in general if you just keep it continuilly plugged in? Only turning it off and unplugging it during the ni ght?

Would a 9 Cell Battery get me much more usage out of it, and is there one available for the HP Pavilion?

Thanks!
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Is your notebook powered by an AMD processor, Pentium Desktop chip (P4), or the mobile chip (Pentium M)? The chip used plays a huge role in the battery life you'll see out of a laptop. From experience of laptops I service the Pentium M by far has the best battery life, anywhere from 2.5 - 6 hours depending on the CPU speed and size of battery.

You'll get another 30-45 minutes from a 9 cell battery given what you've described. It is best to plug in the laptop whenever possible. Every time the battery discharges and recharges a little of its maximum life drains away too.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

when using my laptop unpluged i shut down non-essential programs like MS antispyware, quicktime blue tooth and wireless if i dont need it an i can get 4.5+ hours out of the battery then.
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

Doesn't matter if you leave it plugged in, the system will regulate power supply to the battery when it needs it, and run off mains when it doesn't.

You need a Pentium M, I've got a number of HP notebooks all of which are Centrino/Pentium M ... and have amazing battery life.

Dan

Did you fully recharge the battery when you originally charged it?
    I had the same problem.
    Let the battery drain to zero, then recharge it fully, let it drain to zero again, and fully recharge it.

That is what I was told by HP support, and it has fixed the problem. My battery runs for hours now instead of minutes.

Heya,

The Chip is an AMD Athalon 3500+.

And I charged the battery, turned it on, installed all my programs while it was charging, and then turned it off and let it charge the rest of the way. I 'll try letting it drain to zero a f ew times and see what happens..
    Check out Twelveoclock.net. And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

Also, another quick question...

I notice that when it's fully charged, it states that it is now on AC Power. Does that mean that i can leave it plugged in and it's not charging the battery at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil V
    Also, another quick question...

I notice that when it's fully charged, it states that it is now on AC Power. Does that mean that i can leave it plugged in and it's not charging the battery at all?

yep, when it says AC Power it means its using the power directly from the cord
    8i Networks - Advanced Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Web Design, Domain Names and E-Commerce
    Providing Affordable, Reliable and Scalable Web Solutions Since 2000.

I've had a much different experience than some of the others here. I've worked on Dell Latitude laptops recently and the battery life is really poor. Maybe an hour to an hour and a half tops. The processor on these laptops are Pentium M and the battery life is better when you switch between using power and battery. Basically what I've found that works is to only keep the laptop plugged in when you are charging the battery. Once it is fully charged, unplug the power cord. Or, you can charge the battery and remove it from the laptop and then it won't go bad as fast. Like I mentioned though, my experience is with Dell laptops so the HP models may have different results.
    Mark Blair

I have a HP with a Centrino chip. I am getting about 3 hours before changing the battery.

-Dustin

Replacement, higher-capacity batteries are available for pretty much all recent HP notebooks. If yours came with a 6-cell battery and you're getting 1.5 hours, a 12-cell, if available (depends on your model) should kick that up to over 4 hours. The down side is that replacement 12-cell batteries, even aftermarket, will set you back around $150.00 US.

-Bob

It seems like your battery life is really short. You must have a monster of a laptop with you.

My Dell Inspiron with Pentium-M can hold out without being plugged in for 3-4 hours with just regular surfing and emails.
    Beer is Good.