"Great Template" Comments in Templates/Graphics Offers and Requests

Maybe this has been discussed before, but to be honest, I didn't know what to search for. (Darn I preferred the old search function to the new one, how do I search for a specific phrase (more than one word), rather than it coming up with any thread with either word in?).

Almost every single thread in the Templates/Graphics Offers and Requests forum, where somebody is selling a template, has numerous "Great template", "Nice template", "Good job buddy" comments. It isn't a Website review forum, it's an advertising forum. Sure, it's nice to hear peoples comments about a design you have made, but that isn't what the forum is there for. Many people just seem to use it to bump up their post count, although it has to be said, many of the people doing it seem to have a few hundred posts themselves.

Maybe I'm just been grumpy, I don't know. I just don't think the comments are worth anything, and besides that, are in the wrong forum. The thread turns in to more of a Website review thread, than an advertising thread.

</End Rant>
    - Jamie Harrop

I don't think you are being grumpy. More than just always seeing the comments, you always see certain names making the comments. I for one think that post counts shouldn't be increased from the advertising forums, because this is a hard one to make a call on. I have seen some sites that I felt needed a comment, and I'm sure others have as well. On that same note I have seen some people that have felt the need to comment on every design sold (some much better than others IMHO).

Just my two cents worth...
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Also something i notice is when someone is requesting something you get alot of, "PM sent" "email sent" this is clearly again the rules.

Rules? What Rules? Oh, you mean these rules!

I have to agree, comments in the advertising sections are not neccessary and should not be allowed. I think disabling post counts in there might solve some of this, but there still are people who feel the need to comment on everything (not that thats wrong, just do it in your head please).

Well without the post count there is no harm in them commenting on every template IMHO. I've sold a handful before and it is nice to hear kind comments from the members here, and I am sure (or at least I hope) that some of them truly felt my designs deserved a good comment. Without a post count increase I don't think it'd be hurting anything (that would also stop those "PM sent", "Check your PM box", etc.. posts from mattering in there.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

I don't agree, Michael, at least not fully. I don't think post count is the issue, most of us know post count means nothing, so we ignore it anyway. It is the fact that they are posting these comments in a forum that is not intended for these comments. It's like posting a web host review in the web design forum. Sure, many of those who do it do it to get their post count up, but to us, that means nothing.

I just feel that if you want somebody to review your template, you should post it in the reviews forum. Often, the comments are one liners, such as "Good job!". It's not constructive and it doesn't do any good at all, certainly not outside the reviews forum.
    - Jamie Harrop

Jamie: You may think post counts don't matter, and I know I don't really care about my post count, but many others do, which is why you have the problem of spam (I guess they all want custom titles, heh). I said not counting posts in those forums will stop SOME of the commentary, but not all of it.

Well I presonally don't care much about post count either, but without using post count can you think of a reason for peopel doing this in the advertising forum? The drive behind doing this is the post count (unless somebody can come up with another reason for it being done). The only harm that is caused by it is increasing the post count to allow them to:

Advertise sooner
    Look more important (even though post count doesn't matter to many of us, it does matter to quite a few people. I have seen a handful of requests for hosts with the stipulation of being a person on WHT with a high post count).
    People take those with higher post counts a bit more seriously most of the time (I know it's not right, but it happen).
    and the list can go on and on with meaningless things.

I agree with you that those posts such as:

Good Template
    Nice Job
    OMG WTG D00D
    etc... serve no real purpose

If it did not add to a user's post count, it also would not harm anything. The worst it could do is help in creating a sale for an item.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

For sure. I won't dispute that. What I don't agree with, is "Well without the post count there is no harm in them commenting on every template IMHO".

It's not post count that is the problem, so even if post count was disabled in the advertising forums, and these people carried on posting these comments, I still think it is a problem. The comments don't belong in that forum imo, so whatever the reason, in my opinion, they shouldn't be there. Blah, now I'm rambling, and sound like a grumpy old man.
    - Jamie Harrop

Well I can completely see your point, and agree with it to a point. I think it's just a matter of taste here really. To me I don't mind the comments, but they are against the rules and in the wrong forum as you say (same with the PM me, I'll PM you, did you get my PM?, I replied to your PM, don't PM me, why can't I PM? Is it AM or PM?, etc... comments that don't belong in any forum). Perhaps you're right and we need a new rule disabling posts like that in the advertising section all together. If you really think that the template is a great piece of work (or script or anything else for that matter) then just shoot the creater a PM or E-mail with a nice comment.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

While disabling post counts in the Advertising Forums wouldn't stop all the comment posts, I'd have to agree with the speculation that it would stop a lot of them.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Well as I mentioned above, it'd stop any reason to be concerned with them IHMO. Without them increasing post count it won't hurt anything if they are there.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

I do it because I like to say good job to those who have made a template that I like. I'll continue to do it unless it's against the rules - post count or not.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I do it because I like to say good job to those who have made a template that I like. I'll continue to do it unless it's against the rules
    Isn't that the point though, VolkNet? Maybe not against the rules, but against the way the forum is run, as the comments are in the wrong forum.
    - Jamie Harrop