Trillian – That good?

Hey folks.

Anywho, I’ve been using Gaim and MSN for quite some time now. However, having said that, I’ve become a bit disenchanted with Gaim recently so have been looking at the possibility of using alternatives – yet low and behold, the only real alternative is Trillian.

Everything else, to be honest, pales in comparison to even Gaim.

So, does anyone here use Trillian Pro? What do you think of it? Is it worth my time shelling out the money for it and actually looking into it?

Cheers.

I think it's worth it I use the free version but the company I work for has purchased it so it must be good. I used it from time to time for the company and I though its worth the money to spend.

You can go on as many accounts for msn, aim, yim, icq etc. It also has an away message.. It's well worth the money to shell out.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I used the 15 day trial period a while back, and I was pretty impressed.

I really loved some of the features, like the logging (past conversations are put into the chat window by default, allowing you to scroll up and look at what you said before), and avatar-like buddy icons on the contact list and meta contacts.

Unfortunately, Trillian stopped working all together after the trial (instead of reverting back to basic, it wouldn't let me connect at all), so I stopped using it.

If you have the money (and it's next to nothing), I'd say it's worth it.
    - Matt

I use it, and i think it's great.

I use trillian pro for AIM/Y! and Messenger for MSN.
    The official programs are better than trillian, but I'm on 3 AIM and Y! accounts at once, so it bunches them all together. That's why I use it.
    --

Trillian is fantastic

I use it and finally bought the pro version. It's great a great product. I just hope Gaim picks up in features as I'd rather use that (or im2).

I just downloaded Trillian last night from the advice of a friend, and I really like it! It's many times better than the official AOL client, and I may just have to spring for the Pro version.

It's not that good but it sure is convenient and I just got soo used to it
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Why are you disenchanged with gaim? I've been using it for a while and I completely love it.

The webcam support is poor, and it lacks the cutting edge features of clients from the official companies. For basic things such as tech support, Trillian is fine. I don't recommend it for talking to friends, etc. Where you use display pictures, webcam, sound bytes, etc.
    --

I'm very much a lightweight user of Trillian but there's one feature that used to be free that now is only available in Pro. That feature is the URL grabber. I got real used to it in the previous free version of Trillian. When I upgraded to the latest version I lost that capability. I still haven't bought the Pro version, but if I do it will be to get that back.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

only thing ive noticed with trillian is that peoples tags/nicks/msgs/blah arent updated when they change them. am pretty sure people on my list change their name pretty often, but i dont see those changes

I love Trillian Pro. I would be lost without it.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

I'm a fan of Trillian. I've been using it since we donated $5 to them, back 2 years ago
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Quote Originally Posted by Slidey
    only thing ive noticed with trillian is that peoples tags/nicks/msgs/blah arent updated when they change them. am pretty sure people on my list change their name pretty often, but i dont see those changes
    I'm getting this same issue

Other than that, I'm quite pleased with the program. I just do text chat (no webcam stuff, etc) so the program works perfect for me.

Every contact has a name (one that shows up as a contact in your list), username and a display name. You can change only the name, as it appears in your list.

If you renamed one or more of your contacts (i.e user@yahoo.com to "My best friend") it will remain unchaged, even if they change their display name.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

support open source, save yourself some money... use gaim. Need webcam support, gaim-vv

Trillian is very feature-ful, when I used it I thought it was fantastic, but it was just too much of a hog for what I used it for.

I now use Miranda IM (which does all of the various IM platforms), and is also open source, it uses a mere 5mb of RAM when signed on compared to Trillian at something like 70mb. Of course it's only text based IM, but that's all I want.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

I have been using Trillian for a couple of years now, but I didn't actually noticed any feature that missing, so I really don't understand why would you pay for a Pro version?
    Life is too short for 56k!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulk
    I have been using Trillian for a couple of years now, but I didn't actually noticed any feature that missing, so I really don't understand why would you pay for a Pro version?
    As I run a jabber server for internal company communications you need to pay for the pro version to get jabber support, thats why i paid for it

You get to use plugins with the pro version, yeah.