* Seeking UK webhost with telephone support please

We're looking for a quality, reasonably-priced web host with servers in the UK for one of our sites.

Requirements:

- shared linux/unix hosting. Minimum 5Gb a month bandwith and 2Gb storage.

- telephone support and it shouldn't be a premium or national rate (0870/0871) number. Support staff should be native English speakers

- uptime guarantee.

- backup sites on a regular basis (and store these backups in another location from their servers)

- looking for a large company which has been in business for at least three or four years. I know there are many wonderful small hosts out there, but we prefer the reassurance of a company which has 100 staff members to ones with only 5.

When I usually post about webhosts, people usually chip in and say something like, "This one doesn't have telephone support but..." but my requirements are essential

Thanks very much for any recommendations
    Azam Marketing, Inc., Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Domain Exhibit - premium domains and websites for sale | quote WHT for additional 20% discount

hello mate
    well how much you are looking to spend for hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by neo1
    hello mate
    well how much you are looking to spend for hosting.
    Don't have a specific figure. Don't want to pay a huge amount as the site in question is not making much of a profit. I realise hosting is more expensive in the UK than the USA.

Thanks for the tip about donhost. Checked 'em out. They have a nasty 0870 number for telephone support which I said I wanted to avoid. Encourages companies to not devote too many staff to telephone support, because they make money every minute you are kept hanging on the line.
    Last edited by Azam.biz; 10-30-2005 at 12:25 AM.
    Domain Exhibit - premium domains and websites for sale | quote WHT for additional 20% discount

Have you looked at http://www.hostway.co.uk/ ?

I am not recommending them as I have never used them before, just making a suggestion

many good reviews about unitedhosting.co.uk. you can check them out

Hello,

Try www.internetters.co.uk no personal experience but they seems to be stable and being there for a while.

Best of luck with your search.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

One thing about telephone support is that it's expensive to provide, also I doubt many of the players except the very large ones have over 100 staff. The very big companies tend to get bad reviews as their staff are disinterested.

Greetings,

try http://www.clook.net . Awesome host
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

0870 is not expensive to phone.

Quote Originally Posted by LEEnoble
    0870 is not expensive to phone.
    Prices are much higher on 0870 & are not easily avoided by VoIp etc.

Quote from http://www.saynoto0870.com/ - "call cost on standard telephone numbers to as little as 2p fixed cost (regardless of duration), whereas the cheapest provider to 0870 numbers that I am aware of charges 7p/min to call."

That means that a 15 minute support call would cost a minimum of 105p on 0870 against 2p on 18866. Companies like it because they make 2p (or more) per minute, but it really costs customers. A real contrast to toll free calls in the US.

That's a good site Dormouse.

Yes, 0870 numbers are a rip-off and, as a recent Which report stated, most UK residents don't have the foggiest idea how much they are paying when calling these numbers. It is cheaper to call Australia with many telephone companies than these 0870 numbers.

I don't want my web host to keep me hanging on the line for 30 minutes as they rake in money for every minute I am kept waiting.

As you have stated, 0870 numbers can't be bypassed with VoIP; also they are exhorbitant to call from mobiles, whereas many people can call normal landline and mobile numbers for free for a certain number of minutes every month.

So are there are UK web hosts with a normal telephone number? The sites recommended such as clook.net do not have one.

Actually: I've had another idea. Does anybody know of any US or European web hosts with servers in the UK? It only costs me 1p or 2p a minute to call the USA, Germany etc..
    Last edited by Azam.biz; 10-30-2005 at 08:51 AM.

Lee,

How do you provide round the clock coverage on an "01" number - diverts are costly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloory
    Lee,

How do you provide round the clock coverage on an "01" number - diverts are costly?
    I don't know how Lee does it, but many VoIP providers give 01 numbers & these are easily diverted for free.

Hello,

You might want to look at http://www.ukdomains.com/ as they provide telephone support and have UK servers. I haven't used them for about two years but when I did they were fine. I only left them because more of my visitors were in the US and so it made sense to get US hosting.

Also, someone here has recommended UnitedHosting.co.uk. While they are a great company and they do provide UK telephone support and in fact they are based in the UK, they have their servers in the US which from your thread doesn't seem like what you're after.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloory
    Lee,

It's not 24/7 - only when I'm in the office. Must support is done via my ticket system, phone is just something extra I provide.

Quote Originally Posted by MTSpace at WHT
    Hello,

Also, someone here has recommended UnitedHosting.co.uk. While they are a great company and they do provide UK telephone support and in fact they are based in the UK, they have their servers in the US which from your thread doesn't seem like what you're after.

Good luck.
    I understand they now have some UK servers. 0870 again though.

Quote Originally Posted by MTSpace at WHT
    Hello,

You might want to look at http://www.ukdomains.com/ as they provide telephone support and have UK servers. I haven't used them for about two years but when I did they were fine.

Good luck.
    0845 for support; better than 0870, but still much more than an 01 number or a US number if you use the cheapest call provider.

Datex.co.uk have free (0800) support; don't know if it is from US. Packages aren't cheap though. Never used them myself.

webfusion.co.uk have an 0115 number for support as well as an 0870 number. Don't know if they have equivalent functionality.

GlobalWebBrands have following support numbers-

US TOLL FREE PHONE: +1-800-574-0902
    INTERNATIONAL PHONE: +1-510-870-2470
    UK PHONE: +44-20-7993-2768

Makes you wonder why the UK hosts all stick to 0870
    Last edited by Dormouse; 10-30-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse
    GlobalWebBrands have following support numbers-

US TOLL FREE PHONE: +1-800-574-0902
    INTERNATIONAL PHONE: +1-510-870-2470
    UK PHONE: +44-20-7993-2768

Makes you wonder why the UK hosts all stick to 0870
    Because some of us have £100s worth of stationary and marketting materials with the 0870 printed on it. Having said that, we provide a local number as well, as not all customers overseas can call non-geographic numbers.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by KDAWebServices
    Because some of us have £100s worth of stationary and marketting materials with the 0870 printed on it. Having said that, we provide a local number as well, as not all customers overseas can call non-geographic numbers.
    Well, if you can let people know you have a geographic number as well then that might get you a few more customers.