need help finding a host for...

Hi, I'm working on a php script that requires php5.1, mysql, and a server with quite alot of ram (at least over a gig). I'd also need a host who would let it run without giving me problems. I'm sure it doesn't present a problem on a stress-tested server, but it might bring a weak server to its knees mostly because Apache is a memory hog. Any host suggestions? Price isn't an issue for me, but it must be monthly. Thanks.

I'd also need a host who would let it run without giving me problems.
    If you have high server resources needs VPSs and dedicated servers are the safe way. If your script actually uses 1GB of memory, IMO dedicated is the choice. I hope that's what you're looking for, as opposed to shared hosting...

Seing how you want php 5.1, this can make your search harder (if you wnat shared hosting). A VPS or dedicated allows you to install any software you need (php5 in this instance), so again an advantage.

Hi, the script wouldn't cause apache to take 1gb ram unless the admin has a default installation. My request for more ram is more a case of... the more ram the less chance the script becomes a bottleneck for the server. A host with 512 mb ram would definately feel it with my script running alongside other accounts. Yes, I know php 5.1 makes my search much harder, but I figured out too late that some of my code required it.

About VPS/Dedicated, aside from a higher average price than shared... it requires me to know how to optimize apache which is beyond me .

On shared environment, you need to be careful, cause if your script takes lot of system resources, the host can suspend your account. They cannot give you the whole server, or a half at some dollars. If your script really takes lot of memory, yes, you should take a look at dedicated server, not a shared account. If you are not familiar with server management, you can hire someone do it for you

It wouldn't take over that much resources as long as Apache was modded to handle extensive scripts. I doubt it'd take more than 100mb ram while in constant use.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyT
    About VPS/Dedicated, aside from a higher average price than shared... it requires me to know how to optimize apache which is beyond me .
    Then hire someone who can do it for you. You did say money isn't an issue right?

In this case, dedicated is just about the only way to go, IMO.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Money isn't an issue for shared, I'm not paying $100 or more for a dedicated :p.

Am I being completely ignored though? You guys keep repeating yourselves or is it that hosts all use default apache installations so I'm out of luck?

PHP 5.1 is still just a Release Candidate. You may have better luck finding hosts running it once it becomes a finalized release, as even if a host does already support a PHP5 branch, they're not likely to upgrade to 5.1 until it is distributed as stable.

That being said, you may be able to find a smaller host who would work with you, but then you run the possible problem of server resources (as you mentioned are likely needed) as a smaller host many not have bulky enough hardware to support your needs on a shared platform.

Also, you can get managed VPS accounts, though again, finding a managed provider who knows enough about the PHP5 branch to help you could be difficult.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs