Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Account on WebHostingTalk Forums locked out

I just received 5 e-mails from WHT (and keep receiving more as I'm writing this) with the following message:

Dear quique,

Your account on WebHostingTalk Forums has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:212.93.155.61

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use the link below:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/login.php?do=lostpw

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    Anyone else experiencing this?

Nothing like that here.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Is that your IP? have you been having trouble logging in? I think this is something built into v3 where you get locked out for X amount of minutes if you get the password incorrect X amount of times.

Quote Originally Posted by OKI-Paul
    Is that your IP? have you been having trouble logging in? I think this is something built into v3 where you get locked out for X amount of minutes if you get the password incorrect X amount of times.
    No, that's not my IP and I have not had any problems logging in...

Looks like someone have been trying to hack my account.

That IP doesn't appear to match anyone here. I am not sure how secure your password is, so maybe make it even trickier It could well be someone who has the same username on other forums and thinks that is his/her name here too.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    That IP doesn't appear to match anyone here. I am not sure how secure your password is, so maybe make it even trickier
    Thanks anon-e-mouse, I will follow your advise.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    It could well be someone who has the same username on other forums and thinks that is his/her name here too.
    I dont' think so, it looks like a script to me:

Emai 1: Received Sat 10/29/2005 2:45 AM
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 212.93.155.61

Email 2: Received Sat 10/29/2005 2:46 AM
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 220.127.193.148

Email 3: Received Sat 10/29/2005 2:46 AM
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 67.72.25.2

Email 4: Received Sat 10/29/2005 2:47 AM
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 80.58.21.107

Email 5: Received Sat 10/29/2005 2:47 AM
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 218.154.76.232

I got 6 e-mails, with only 1 minute apart, with the IPs being:

I just got one about 2 hours ago?

IP : 211.179.165.21
    It's Scott!

Anyone Else Experience this??

Sometime While I was asleep I received 3 emails from WHT.. Saying:

Dear platinumn23,

Your account on WebHostingTalk Forums has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 221.152.87.56

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use the link below:

Dear platinumn23,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 220.67.81.38

Dear platinumn23,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 220.70.68.86
    All three emails within 2-3 minutes.. Im just curious if it was a Random attack on my account or if anyone else had the same thing happening..

Thanks,
    Robert

*Mods, if this is the wrong forum, Please move to the right forum.. Thanks*

Thread moved to WHT-Announcements, WHT-Feedback, WHT-Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Thread moved . . .
    Thread merged with other thread about it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Good work Dennis! I didn't even notice it. (not that I had the ability to do anything about it besides report it...)

Got one, too: 67.72.25.2

Looks like a whole army of zombie machines and anonymous proxies

*sigh*

Edit: How hard would it be to put an image verification hack on the logon page? If the image verification isn't entered then don't count it against failed logon attempts.
    Last edited by Mike V; 10-29-2005 at 03:33 PM.

I got the same thing, two of em:
    Dear NE-Andy,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 80.58.9.46

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    Dear NE-Andy,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 203.160.244.229

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38

Got just one of the things in my email at 2:47AM today! (Strangely I wasn't even up then)

Dear AdmiralSpock,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 220.125.192.85

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    I think I'll go and change my password just to be on the safe side, although I think it is just some dumb kid trying to enter "admiralspock" as my password to see if I was stupid enough to make that my own password... hehe
    He arose!

Dear Darth,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 195.39.170.102

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums

I feel left out
    /me goes to update password
    Dave

Same here. I received 3 such emails from WHT yesterday at 1-2 minute intervals. At that time, all my computers were switched off. The IP addresses mentioned in the emails were 222.104.40.16 , 80.58.4.42 and 67.72.25.2. According to www.dnsstuff.com , these IPs are in Korea, Spain and USA (city "unknown"), whereas I am in New Zealand.

I have received three emails from webhostingtalk with the following message..

Dear TheDoctor,
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 61.110.56.53
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 12.161.238.132
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 12.172.141.130

I believe this is Inet's resonsability to fix. Obviously as it has just started to happen it is related to the upgrade and I want it fix NOW.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Got 5 more e-mails. Four of them had the IP:195.39.170.102
    One of them had: 205.208.226.61

If the IPs were consistent, we could ban them, but they aren't

Got my second one at 11:17... this time from 218.57.243.34 which I think would be from somewhere in Asia.. right?

If this is what has been happening to our accounts all the time WHT was on vb2 then I think that is another problem that needs to be looked into if robots are constantly trying to get into accounts here.. or some kids or whatever.

But I think the 5 attempt limit should be lifted for now until Prohacker figures it out
    He arose!

got 6 of them for ip: 195.39.170.102
    Sounds like a mass account takeover attempt.

Since a few of you have had 195.39.170.102, that one is banned now.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

I received two:

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 220.127.193.148

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 195.39.170.102

But I think the 5 attempt limit should be lifted for now until Prohacker figures it out
    This has nothing to do with "code", it has everything to do with WHT and idiots. Personally, I say ban the ips after 2 invalid logins for an hour, not per account, but per ip address. So, if someone failed to login twice for any account from one ip, they're banned.

Of course, that'd take a little bit of trickery, but given the fact that the ips are stored in sql somewhere (or they should be), it shouldn't be THAT hard to do
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Yes, IPs are stored, since admins/mods can see them and search for duplicates, etc.

Makes me wonder how many times this was attempted (succeeded?) with the older version that didn't have the strikes system? Kind of spooky...and unnoticed (I believe).
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Yes, IPs are stored, since admins/mods can see them and search for duplicates, etc.

Makes me wonder how many times this was attempted (succeeded?) with the older version that didn't have the strikes system? Kind of spooky...and unnoticed (I believe).
    Which is why its probably an automated system that bruteforces some members' account. Probably the ones it finds the most (the most active). I don't even want to know what would happen if it got in. I think an image verification script when logging in should solve most of the problems.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

OK , I just recieved an Email from WHT.

Dear D1esel,

Your account on WebHostingTalk Forums has been locked because someone has tried
    to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be
    able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:

Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Use
    the link below:

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    uh?
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

I got three here, for now
    Closed for winter...

Dear elix,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 213.205.19.4

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    Hope this gets fixed soon...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

i just got one:

195.175.37.8 TURKEY ISTANBUL
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 213.205.19.4

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums
    Some idiot from Italy trying mine.

Well, I think it's safe to assume something is up here.

I've received two within 4 minutes apart of each other and the IPs traced to Italy and Korea. Looks like a brute force attempt.

wonder a group of hackers(?) found a new security hole in vBulletin
    Closed for winter...

i just got another from:

202.56.253.184 INDIA
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

Code:
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 64.59.144.88
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 82.116.144.4

Exclamation Email from WHT - Lock Out?

Is anyone else getting emails today from WHT advising them they've been locked out of the forum for excessive attempts to log into their account here?

I've been browsing the forums for a little while today. I just now reviewed my incoming email to discover three advisories from WHT automation that I'm locked out (yet I'm here and posting as you can see) - i.e.:

Dear Coffeymate,

All the best,
    WebHostingTalk Forums

Note that IP is from Italy (I'm in the U.S.)

Another lists 203.160.244.229 as the offending IP - from Taiwan.
    And a third is 200.30.155.122 - Guatamala.

Man! I am allegedly really turning into a globe trotter if any of this is true!

These started about 5:04 p.m. EST.

Check your emails if you've been here more than 30 minutes to see if you are getting similar attempts on your account here.

This is too freaky!

Ooops, I thought I posted in the Lounge area - don't see a means of moving it myself. Apologies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast