Unmeterd... does that exist?

I have a project in my head that will require loads of bandwidth. I guess I will be needing like 3,000 GB per month. I have seen a few posts offering "unmetered bandwidth". Does this really exist? If not, what company would you recommend for this kind of bandwidth? I will basically be offering flash games to other people and allowing to hotlink them from my site.

Yes, it does exist. Basically it caps you to the port you select.

A 10mbit unmetered can push 3200GB per month, while a 100mbit can push 32000GB per month. BTW, these are based on if you pust the port 24/7.

So yes unmetered does exist. However Unlimited is a totally different story...

It might be better for you to get a specific amount of transfer pr. month like 3 Tb on a 100 Mbit line since you might need to burst above 10 Mbit/sec it will be a bit more expensive but some providers only charge a bit more for this solutions compared to an unmetered capped 10 Mbit line.

Yeah, 3TB on a 100Mbit line is better than an unmetered 10Mbit line in almost all situations.
    You have to be careful with overages though, it's possible to transfer a lot of data on a 100Mbit line, so it's best to install some sort of monitoring/throttling solution.
    You may also be interested in a 95th percentile arrangement, although I don't actually know of any dedicated providers that support this, only colo.

flash games take up bandwith at a certain time of the day (evenings mostly) so 95th percentile is a bad idea..

try to get a 10mbit average commitment on a 100mbit port.. so that your site wont go slow if its transferring 10mb/s

lots of providers can offer this..
    Quality Metered/Unmetered Servers in the Netherlands
    Offering custom solutions in an extreme quality network!
    Find out why we are a lifetime experience and contact us!

WI, the internet is international, and I doubt that flash games will only target one part of the world. Still, it's probably best to get a commit first so the bandwidth can be modelled. Install some sort of RTG to predict what would be the cheapest option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    WI, the internet is international, and I doubt that flash games will only target one part of the world. Still, it's probably best to get a commit first so the bandwidth can be modelled. Install some sort of RTG to predict what would be the cheapest option for you.
    even if there are customers from all over the world..

you will see a clear time when the site has its peaks.. and peaks are bad for 95th percentile

for instance: if its a USA site... then most of the visitors will be american and the site will peak in the evenings USA time
    Quality Metered/Unmetered Servers in the Netherlands
    Offering custom solutions in an extreme quality network!
    Find out why we are a lifetime experience and contact us!

Unmetereds aren't "true" unmetered... for example FDCServers say on their 100mbit servers you can use about 3TB/month... while they actually say unmetered.
    Make sure you check the FAQs etc. before getting an unmetered server

Quote Originally Posted by Dev0n
    Unmetereds aren't "true" unmetered... for example FDCServers say on their 100mbit servers you can use about 3TB/month... while they actually say unmetered.
    Make sure you check the FAQs etc. before getting an unmetered server
    You mean to say that all unmetered aren't true unmetereds... There are plenty of hosts who offer real unmetered plans.

I look at unmetered as being when the service provider does not have any overage charges.

Companies like FDC monitor the network for servers that are hogging the bandwidth for sustained periods of time and will ask them to upgrade to a dedicated plan or they will cap the person.

FDC explains it in the TOS http://fdcservers.net/tos.html

20. Unmetered Bandwidth

FDCservers.net LLC does not charge any overage fees regardless of customer`s bandwidth usage

Bandwidth usage abuse

FDCservers.net LLC pro-actively monitors backbone utilization in order to ensure that bandwidth resources are equally shared. FDCservers.net LLC has no objections against burstable usage of the 100Mbit port however customers that have sustained usage of 15Mbit (outbound only) or more may be asked to upgrade to a dedicated service plan or may have their port capped to 10Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by music
    I look at unmetered as being when the service provider does not have any overage charges.

Companies like FDC monitor the network for servers that are hogging the bandwidth for sustained periods of time and will ask them to upgrade to a dedicated plan or they will cap the person.

FDC explains it in the TOS http://fdcservers.net/tos.html

20. Unmetered Bandwidth

FDCservers.net LLC does not charge any overage fees regardless of customer`s bandwidth usage

Bandwidth usage abuse

FDCservers.net LLC pro-actively monitors backbone utilization in order to ensure that bandwidth resources are equally shared. FDCservers.net LLC has no objections against burstable usage of the 100Mbit port however customers that have sustained usage of 15Mbit (outbound only) or more may be asked to upgrade to a dedicated service plan or may have their port capped to 10Mbit
    Oh man, this is not cool at all. couple of my boxes are with FDC
    www.TnetHost.com
    Website Designs and Hosting Solutions

Unmetered surely exist.
    However, unmetered does not mean that you will be on a truly dedicated connection to the Internet.

It seems that you don't need an unmetered plan, but rather a high-bandwidth plan. Two places I know of that will suit your bandwidth needs are sharktech.net and redhotservers.net. Might want to do a search for specific amounts of bandwidth within the advertising forums.

On few hosting company unmetered bandwidth is cheaper than a real specific amount of transfer pr. month like 3TB. Some hosting company have 2 deferent backbone, 1 for the unmetered (cheaper provider) and 1 for others clients.

Karl