password protected blog

can someone tell me how i can put password protected pages on my site. i am starting a blog, but only want certain of my friends to read it and i don't ever want the spiders to find it, but i want the spiders to find my hompage and everything i offer, is that possible?

thank you

spiderfine

Just use a simple .htaccess with usernames/passwords

AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Password Required"
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/sites/www.yourdomain.com/htdocs/blog/.htpasswd
    <LIMIT GET POST>
    require valid-user
    </LIMIT>

and you can use
    htpasswd -c .htpasswd userX

There are even simpe Javascripts for simple login, remember that the info will be exposed if you don't use a SSL, but I don't think that you are going to have sensitive data on your blog. And you can set the robots.txt file to disallow that specific file or folder

oh my...i've never done that before, do you mind being a little bit clearer. sorry.

like how exactly do i do that? do i make a seperate file or add that code to the pages i want a password on?

thanks

spiderfine

You create a file named .htaccess with the content Eglis wrote in the folder you want to have protected.
    Put the decrypted passwords into the file specified after AuthUserFile which the command above (run in your terminal) will do automatically.

i see what you mean, but...

davevad,

ok, i see what you mean and it is asking me for us and pw, but where do i put the us and pw that i want exactly?

thank you for your help, you are very informative, but I just need a little bit more info.

you said put it in after AuthUserFile, but where?
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/sites/www.yourdomain.com/htdocs/blog/.htpasswd

spiderfine

The auth user file you decide where on your server you want to put it in.
    for convinience i put the .htpasswd into the directory i want to protect.
    This isn't too dangerous since by default apache will block requests to files that have a name that start with .ht

so if your website is in

/sites/yourwebsite.com/ and your blog in /sites/yourwebsite.com/blog
    then you can go into the directory /sites/yourwebsite.com/blog
    and issue the " htpasswd -c .htpasswd user1 " command and this will create the file and add your first user to it. for all users other than the first one just drop the " -c " so you don't overwrite your file. The command will prompt you for a password and a confirmatino, you'll see it's pretty easy.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by osphere
    There are even simpe Javascripts for simple login, remember that the info will be exposed if you don't use a SSL, but I don't think that you are going to have sensitive data on your blog. And you can set the robots.txt file to disallow that specific file or folder
    Client side authentication is extremely insecure. (S)he's way better off using a server-side solution. In addition to that, robots.txt is only going to prevent search engines from indexing your website, it doesn't actually do anything for users.

If you're using wordpress, you can actually set a password to view a post. You can learn more about wordpress by visiting wordpress.org and you might want to hunt around for a wordpress.com invite. Wordpress.org is the actual wordpress software, wordpress.com is a blog hosting service where everything is setup for you, and you get your own wordpress.com subdomain.

Good luck.

thank you

thank you for all the advise. i will be working on that sometime later, because as of right now i can't even get to my site to make any changes, because i don't know why. i've traced and found out where the problem lies, but can't get any help, so i've put a post in the technical and security forum, hopefully someone there can tell me something to do.

but when i do get back up i will come back here and read and learn.

thank you once again.

spiderfine

yahoo!

i did it!!!

Thank you, that was pretty easy and cool.

Thanks guys/gals

Spiderfine

i lied

my bad...i've done something wrong and i don't know what it is, but it's not working now.

oh boy, i'm going to shoot this computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what in the world have i done wrong?

i've got to take a break, i can't handle this right now.