* Need ID to buy nyquil?

Man am i pissed. I went to CVS to buy some nyquil. As i was paying for it the guy asked me for ID, i promptly replied, "excuse me?". He responded and said that they need ID in order to purchase nyquil. I was like ok fine, and handed it to him.

Then opened up a sheet book and proceeded to fill out my name, address, license number. I asked him what he was doing and he responded with "this is required".

As a previous victim of Identity theft and with the more common it is becoming i immediatly objected. I asked to speak to the manager.

The manager came and i explained the situation and he said "it isnt my problem, speak to your congressman, its a law". I am like , "i dont see any signs like i do for ciggerates and alcohol, and i sure as hell dont let someone right down my personal information in order to purchase it". He told me there is nothing he can do and i am waisting his time, i then told him i wanted a refund and the piece of paper with my information, he told me i wasnt getting anything. Finally he crossed out my name and ripped up the paper and told me he was sorry after it got a bit heated and customers started to come in.

I was curious if anyone else ever had an experience like that? I mean, in certain situations i can understnad if personal information is needed. But In this case who knows how many hands that sheet of paper with everyones address and license number is on. Which BTW some places like electricity ONLY ask for your drivers license number to obtain service.

Tack that on with a camera phone where they shoot a quick shot of the back and front of your CC nonchalantly and they have some dangerous information.

I think its ridiculous and i was completly insulted, just to buy a cold medicine. That is the last time i shop at CVS.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

You'll get that at any any store now, Ameen. NyQuil contains Pseudoephedrine, which is used in the production of methamphetamine. By law (which varies by state, not sure if the federal bill has passed yet), drugstores must limit the quantity of products containing Pseudoephedrine that can be bought by each customer, and keep records of all sales. The local Walgreens now has hang-tags that you must bring to the pharmacy section to get those products... Makes for some long, annoying lines. However, they are starting to have products that are made without the Pseudoephedrine - Even Sudafed with another active ingredient. Different states have different regulations, though.
    Another difference is that Missouri's restrictions are limited to "starch based" pseudoephedrine pills or capsules. Talent's Combat Meth Act would expand that to include elixirs and gel caps containing pseudoephedrine mixtures.

"We're trying to get out ahead of the Meth cooks rather than playing catch-up," Talent said. It's harder to make Meth with elixirs and gel caps, but Meth cooks will evolve and find ways to do that. "We want to get ahead of them and cut them off," Talent added.

Sgt. Jason Grellner of the Franklin County Sheriff's Office said while "cooking" with elixirs and gel caps yields much less Meth than with pills, there is evidence of Meth labs using those preparations in states where pill sales are restricted. Grellner said he's heard reports of a lab in Tennessee where large amounts of elixir were found, and police in St. Louis recently questioned suspects who were buying large amounts of gel caps.
    All you can do is either give your information, or buy another product. Hopefully this law will help curb the production & use of meth... otherwise, it's worthless.

Nyquil (and other drugs containing either ephedrine or pseudoephedrine) are used in the manufacturing of methamphetamine so some states (not sure how many or which) required this information to purchase it.

Edit: too late :>

Ok, then there must be a more secure method of keeping track of this. Maybe im paranoid but this country has some major Identity theft issues and this is not going to help. God knows who and what has access to those records and what is done with them after use (stored, shredded, inserted in to a computer). Your drivers license number essentialy is similar to your social security in some case. I think i will just find something else from now on.

I doubt its going to make it any harder to produce meth, just make our personal information less secure.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Where I live (Washington State, US) they just put this restriction into effect. I know two recovered meth addicts and they think this law won't seriously impact the ability to make meth. Around here it's a serious problem so I'm hoping that these restrictions help.

I was checked for age when buying canned air at Costco last week. What's the world coming to? Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by CTG
    I was checked for age when buying canned air at Costco last week. What's the world coming to? Yeesh.
    Side note:

Many places (not sure how wide spread) require you to be 18 to purchase canned air to prevent kids from "dusting" it.

It's supposed to become a law here in michigan come december. It's a pretty stupid idea. meth manufacturers are just going to start breaking into stores late at night to steal mass quantities of it, or even setup connections with store employees to take it.

I agree its stupid for just 1 lousy purchase of Nyquil in my opinon how much methamphetamine can you make from just one bottle of the stuff? I can only see this needs to be put into effect if the person were buying a large quanity of it.
    Kerry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Jones
    I agree its stupid for just 1 lousy purchase of Nyquil in my opinon how much methamphetamine can you make from just one bottle of the stuff? I can only see this needs to be put into effect if the person were buying a large quanity of it.
    You're oblivious to the real world Kerry. In a normal small town there are normally 3-4 places that you can get products that contain Pseudoephedrine. Without the tracking, and simply limiting it to just 1 purchase per person, that person can still pick up 3-4 boxes a day, and 21-28 a week. You'd be suprised at how much meth that can make.

By limiting the amount that one person can purchase and tracking they're able to track down and eliminate those that aid in the production of methamphetamines. Keep in mind, when making Meth, you're not just harming yourself, you're also harming those even in a remotely close area, as it gives off a hazardous gas.

So they're going to start tracking every person who buys any product that can be used in production of narcotics? Come on now, Is this really a practical solution? Is the government going to send me a letter asking me to write a detailed explanation about why i needed to buy a bottle of nyquil? If some big meth operation gets busted, are they going to call the homes of everyone who purchased nyquil, and ask them to provide proof that they kept it, and didn't give it to meth dealers?

What do they write down? Is the nyquil UPC included in the record? Is there going to be some extra record keeping fee with the purchase? Is the store going to have to mail in their records to the government every month? What's the punishment if they fail to account for some of their stock?

It's a ridiculous burden. There's gotta be a better way to crack down on meth. Making store clerks write down a statement whenever someone purchases nyquil is just ridiculous.

I think they should just ask for ID the same as alcohol and leave it at that, I hardly want some kiddie making $4.25 an hour to have all of my personal information which would VERY easily be used to get credit cards etc and get away with it pretty much scott free most likely or even worse sell it.

I have not needed to do this yet but I did notice the plastic cards you need to bring to the desk to get them over the past 6 months..

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    You're oblivious to the real world Kerry. In a normal small town there are normally 3-4 places that you can get products that contain Pseudoephedrine. Without the tracking, and simply limiting it to just 1 purchase per person, that person can still pick up 3-4 boxes a day, and 21-28 a week. You'd be suprised at how much meth that can make.
    I'd be suprised too. In reality, the guys making enough of this stuff to be a problem *are not* buying NyQuil to 'boil down' to make Meth. Those mouth-breathers that go and blow themselves up each week are small time losers cooking over their stovetops.

The real reality of it is myself, walking into Albertsons (Shopping chain), trying to get some medicine for my kid after the pharmacy is closed and having some shop drone tell me I can't get children's medicine as the product has been replaced by tags and vouchers explaining I need to take said piece of paper of the pharmacist - which of course has been closed for hours.

Back in Australia (Brisbane, Queensland) the last Meth bust I remember was bunch of guys caught on the 20th floor of a riverfront apartment with keycard entry. You can be sure that the ingredients they were cooking up didn't come from the local 7-11.

It's a 'band-aid approach' that inconveniences the rest of us, weeds out a few small timers, and lets the real producers keep on doing what they do.

Why do they do it?

It's a simple answer that gets some time on the news and in the papers, while not actually having to do and *real* work to remove the problem.

Who's 'oblivious' here?
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Ameen,

I was in a similiar situation not to long ago. I was pretty sick (I never get sick) so I went to the store to get some tylenol flu. I grabbed two boxes figuring the cold would last a while and I didn't want to have to come back. I got to the self check out and scanned my first box, she asked for my ID and I showed her (normally I wouldn't have but I was so sick I didn't care). Then I tried to scan the second box and she informed me that I could not buy two boxes. I looked at her right in the eyes and I think my words were "Your fu****** jokeing with me right?". Nope she was deadly serious as there is a new city or state law.

Any state congressman or city council member who voted for this should be taken into the street and shot, twice for good measure. It is a sad day when you can't even buy two boxes of tylenol when your sick. To think we have problems with education, deficits, homeless yet they can find the time to pass laws like this.

We need to stop "fighting" the war on drugs and start treating people. It's sad that we treat someone who smokes a plant because it makes them feel good like a criminal (but you can smoke tobacco).

Eventually, the drug manufacturers will quit putting that crap in their product, but until they do, we just have to deal with the inconvenience of things, or buy something that doesn't require the end user to subject themselves to this.

I see the necessity of it, I mean it'll help, though in a small way, however there should be a better way to do this. Some local database or something should be kept, as most state id cards/drivers licenses have magnetic strips on the back any more. Just add that little piece of info to the local database, and require the stores to upgrade their equipment, pretty standard there.

Unfortunately, something's got to be done about the problem. While this is a small effort, it's good to see that there is some sort of effort going on to solve it.

It's sad that we treat someone who smokes a plant because it makes them feel good like a criminal (but you can smoke tobacco).
    Comparing pot to tobacco is a complete joke. Have you ever actually smoked either?
    Pot affects the individual in ways that severely limit capacities, it is a drug. Tobacco, while, still a drug is legal because it does NOT severely limit capacities. Pot affects the mental state of the user, while tobacco does not. Of course, it should be illegal.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 10-28-2005 at 10:17 AM.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Maybe they should start tracking purchases of shoes so as to prevent shoe-bombs by suspected terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Comparing pot to tobacco is a complete joke. Have you ever actually smoked either?
    Pot affects the individual in ways that severely limit capacities, it is a drug. Tobacco, while, still a drug is legal because it does NOT severely limit capacities. Pot affects the mental state of the user, while tobacco does not. Of course, it should be illegal.
    Actually I just quit smoking but yes I have smoked both. How does pot severely effect someones capabilities, which capabilities? To say tobacco doesn't effect someone is wrong, it effects your breathing, your activites in life, your health and it will kill you in the end.

Your just using the old arguement of "my" drug is better then "your" drug.

And next of all if we get to do a database for cough syrup I think we should do one for twinkies, ice cream, cookies, etc. After all heart disease is the number one killer in the U.S. and thats cause by over eating or not eating healthy.

So when you start showing your ID for a pack of ho-ho's I'll accept showing my ID for a box of cough syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    <snip>
    Hate to steer a bit off topic, but in that case we should have a ban on alcohol.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com