.co.uk domains, just add a nameserver like .com

hey guys

never had a .co.uk domain, and am having trouble with a client's .co.uk domain which is at freeparking.co.uk, to point a domain at a server it needs an ip for the mail server and web server.

Now i have many domains at registerfly where i just put in the nameserver of my server and in a matter of an hour the domain is resolving and everything is working fine, but this freeparking takes years and doesn't seem to want to work all the time.

So my question is, if i transfered this domain to registerfly would i be able to just use my nameserver as with my .coms or are .co.uk domains handled differently? or is it just freeparking's control panel that they ask for ips for web and mail servers?

cheers

This must be a quirk with Freeparking. The Nominet (=registry) system does NOT require IP addresses.

I would think twice before moving .uk domains to Registerfly. (Lots of people here would probably say "think twice before moving ANY domains to Registerfly. Can't comment on GTLD domains but Registerfly certainly seem to have problems understanding the .uk system)

thanks,

is godaddy known for being able to understand .co.uk domains and would their dns settings require just my nameserver to get things going?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by aqi32
    thanks,

is godaddy known for being able to understand .co.uk domains and would their dns settings require just my nameserver to get things going?

cheers
    Enom, Godaddy etc all suck when handling ccTLD's the best of the bunch if you must is Opensrs however you are much better of using a recognised UK based tagholder for UK domains.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

can anyone recommend a uk based tagholder please

Quote Originally Posted by aqi32
    can anyone recommend a uk based tagholder please
    Quite a few on here but cant recommend themselves - http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ would do you I think
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Yep, 123-reg is who I use - very decent prices and no real problems to report.

Had problems with Enom and .co.uk's before, though, and Registerfly is almost certainly to have problems because of that.

ill second that.
    123-reg have the best control panel. fully automated!

I've never had a problem with Enom and creating nameservers that are fully registered across all TLD's supported by enom "UNLESS" the DNS is not setup for the nameserver.

EDIT: To add what Freeparking is doing is forcing the use of there DNS. IOW they are not allowing you to set the Nameservers for the domain.

Any registrar who allows setting Nameservers will not have this problem. If Freeparking allows the domain to be relocated you could transfer it to any Registrar that supports .co.uk and supports setting of the nameserver including Registerfly, enom, Godaddy, etc....
    Last edited by KNL-BSW; 10-27-2005 at 06:17 PM.

thanks, i think i've seen 123-reg.co.uk in .net magazine