View Poll Results: Are we overly politically correct?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 92.86%
  • No

1 7.14%

Is this political correctness gone too far?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

African-American kids can run very well. That doesn't mean that Caucasian kids and other descents can't run, but it's very obvious to me that they run extremely well

Fisher DeBerry was reprimanded and forced to make a public apology after saying this.
    The press raked him over the coals. CNN reacted like the guy had just raped a nun.

Is there anything so bad in what this guy said?

No,

Look at all the olympic Winners, There mainly Black - African Type.
    They can sure run in my opinion.

PC was NEVER a good idea, and now we're starting to see the really bad side of it. It's to the point where the person who is supposedly offended by some comment can simply launch any lawsuit against the individuals making the comment, or run crying to the pc-police. Come on now!

I'd love to see some of the people today even TRY to survive 50 years ago. They'd be laughed at so damn quickly it aint funny. Why? Because the people of today (for the most part) are too sensitive. While sensitivity is good (seriously), it's gone too far when we can't say anything in fear of someone taking it the wrong damn way. That's all PC is, nothing more.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I think it is a fair and true statement to make. Could also be said for heavyweight boxers (I mean boxing, not running)
    There is nothing racist about the comment, it is simply an observation.
    I don't know the stage of PC in other parts of the world, but here in the UK it is complete madness... and getting worse by the day..

I don't think PC is inherently bad. Obviously it's abused and taken too far, but I think that there are instances where PC language should be used.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I think diplomacy and a little honesty is a better option than PC..

PC is just about saying the right things and trying to please everyone at once, even if you are not sincere.

It's impossible to please everyone so why even try?

Quote Originally Posted by talkhost
    I don't know the stage of PC in other parts of the world, but here in the UK it is complete madness... and getting worse by the day..
    In the US it is out of control (PC). Unless of course you are a white, male, heterosexual, christian; in which case you are fair game and everyone can trounce you. Even the the most simple of things get turned around now a days. Last weekend I was out at the local multiplex taking in a movie. Part way through the film a phone rings and a woman in the row in front of me answers and starts yapping on the phone. When it was obvious this wasn't going to be a quick call, I asked her to please end the call or take it to the lobby. She flew off the handle and called me a racist, her boyfriend/husband then joined in and said I would never have said that if they weren't black.
    All I could say at that point was, You're right!, if she was white I wouldn't have said please and would have told her to shut the heck up instead.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

In the U.S. lets say a white student gets jumped at a college and robbed by a group of black students. This will make the local papers, etc But just another fight basically. Where as if this gets turned around and a group of white students jumps and robs a black student it will make national headlines. The next morning jesse jackson and al sharpton will be on tv demanding justice.

I can't stand all this non-sense in the U.S. Black Entertainment Television is ok, Caucasian Entertainment Television is racist. Go figure... and etc, etc, etc...

That's a good point...
    MOBO awards are fine...
    What would happen if there was MOWO awards... (Admittedly, the music would not be so good, but anyway )