Anybody Have Any Experience With Dotster

I have used Dotster for registering domains for a while and always been happy with their service and cost. I'm considering moving host and thought maybe dotster might be worth a try. They offer a current package with 2 gb storage, 50gb transfer, live chat support facility (which I quite like as often need a bit of hand holding) lots of preloaded software, up to 50 hosted domains etc

Also I have noticed alot of services charge for transfer of domains. As my domains are registered with Dotster I thought this might save an extra cost.

Anybody have any hosting experience with Dotster or views on them? Plus does this deal seem ok to you?

As far as saving money on transfering domains. You shouldn't have to transfer your domain when you switch hosts. You should be able to just change your nameservers.

I've never dealt with dotster hosting so I can't give you much of a review on that.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

That's helpful regarding the named servers.

I've got a few domains with Dotster, never had any issues with them.

Yeah the domain service has been excellent for me. Just wondering if their hosting service is equally as good?

For what its worth, Dotster.com and MyDomain.com appear to be the same thing behind the scenes, at least for domain registrations.

I can go to dotster.com, login with my mydomain name and password and I end up back at mydomain.com

Its interesting to look at the prices. A .com is $14.95 at Dotster, $8.50 at Mydomain. Some of the extras like URL forwarding and (last time I used them) email forwarding are free at Mydomain but cost extra at Dotster.

Hi there!

We are a Dotster reseller (under another brand) and have been pleased with our experience. Based on our experience, I would indeed recommend them.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

might be off topic, but I hate Dotster. I had some domains with them before, but after I moved, they are still spamming my email address, even I have un-subscribed from their mailling list

That's not offtopic! It's input, just like everyone else's. It may not be positive (which is fine), but it certainly is useful!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Speaking as one of Dotster's oldest customers (and a reseller myself), I've always enjoyed the support that I've gotten with them regarding domain names. I can't quite comment on the hosting side, but if it's anything like the domain site, I can pretty much guarantee you would NOT go wrong with them.

::waves hiyas to Seth, Donna and Clint::
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Dotster... what a good company... I really like them.
    www.ittybittyhost.com - One Package, One Price!

Quote Originally Posted by peterbrady
    Yeah the domain service has been excellent for me. Just wondering if their hosting service is equally as good?
    Dotster Web Hosting ain't ready yet, as far as my current experience is concerned. Signed up for a Dotster Web Hosting Starter package and am so *disappointed*! What I got -- and have to date -- is *not* completely what's advertised on the Dotster Web site.

1. First of all, there's *no* up-to-date user manual or info, online or otherwise (i.e. even the online support FAQ is out-of-date!). There's not even sufficient explanation nor help in the config pages themselves!

2. Domain-specific Webmail does *not* work.

3. Certain advertised advanced features, at least for the Starter package, are *not* available, namely:
    - Serendipity (Blog)
    - artmedic event (Calendar)
    - Deutshce WordPress (Publishing)
    - WordPress (Publishing)

It's really a pity that Dotster seems to be failing customers with the current state of their Web Hosting services. Why have they put out a product before it's ready? If I knew about these problems / deficiences before, I would not have signed up with Dotster Web Hosting. At least not yet.

By contrast, on the domain hosting side, my experience with Dotster has always been very good.