Tektonic severe bandwidth throttling without notice?

I've been a happy VPS customer of Tektonic for several years. A couple of weeks ago, my account was migrated from their Dallas, Texas datacentre to their Atlanta, Georgia datacentre.

Previously my VPS could achive peak outbound bandwidth of 384kbyte/sec (3072kbit/sec) quite happily- and possibly more.

The new VPS can now achieve only a maximum of 64kbyte/sec (512kbit/sec).

I do not recall being informed of this restriction in advance of the move.

I'm now exceptionally unhappy - 512kbit/sec upstream bandwidth will be maxed out by two low-end broadband users, and is barely better than hosting my server on my home ADSL line. I don't think I'm a major bandwidth hog, but I do want bandwidth available at occasional peak times.

Am I being unreasonable here, or do I have a valid complaint against Tektonic?

I don't mind them enforcing this throttling on new users who agree to it, but I think it is quite out of order to do it to existing users without notice and without agreement.

Right firstly have you contacted their tech support dept or posted on their forums? Could it be something due to the new network location or something? Have you tried downloading a local file at all?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I contacted their tech support yesterday. I appreciate that they may not have had time to respond as yet - especially since I'm in a very different timezone - and I'm okay with that.

My main reason for posting here was 1) to see if this was affecting other Tektonic migrated customers, and 2) whether people thought that this was acceptable behaviour or not.

I have tried downloading large files from my new Tektonic server account from various different locations, including two other locations in the USA and two locations in Europe. All give the same result; throttled to 512kbit/sec. When I start off multiple downloads from different locations then these share the 512kbit/sec bandwidth. It seems deliberately throttled.

Furthermore their website seems to have changed their packages for new customers to specifically state the 512kbit/sec limit. But to repeat: nobody told me that this new limit would be applied to existing customers too.

Also, I'd like to know whether other people agree that 512kbit/sec seems excessively mean. Two basic broadband users will max it out straight away, after all.

You might consider moving to unixshell.com which also is owned by TekTonic. They provide VPS services as well and are bustable to 100Mbit.

Yeah, the bandwidth on unixshell looks good, but the RAM allowances are rather stingy, plus if they're owned/related to Tektonic then I would worry that they would also introduce bandwidth throttling without notice.

It's part of the new(ish) plans. What TekTonic does now is provide un-metered bandwidth, but the outgoing is capped. This is preferred by many customers as they never need to worry about overages and generally don't burst very high anyway. You were placed on a new plan as part of our UML->Virtuozzo migration project. Technically on the un-metered plans you get more transfer per month and it's still up to 100mbit inbound.

unixshell# does provide 100Mbit/s burst in/out and a monthly transfer limit. The other factor in the equation to provide un-metered plans for TekTonic was that we run both brands and wanted to better divide the feature sets.

If you responded to your migration ticket that would be the reason for the delay as the queue is starting to get busy. As expected, many people waited until the last week of our 3 month project to contact us regarding the migration
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
    It's part of the new(ish) plans. What TekTonic does now is provide un-metered bandwidth, but the outgoing is capped. This is preferred by many customers as they never need to worry about overages and generally don't burst very high anyway. You were placed on a new plan as part of our UML->Virtuozzo migration project. Technically on the un-metered plans you get more transfer per month and it's still up to 100mbit inbound.
    Thanks for the prompt response.

Please can I revert to the plan that I signed up and paid for - ie. unthrottled bandwidth capable of bursting well beyond 512kbit/sec but with a monthly cap.

Please?

Yes I can do that, we offer to price/plan lock users in. Just for most the new UM1 provides double the RAM, more CPU, and over 3 times more hard disk space so they deal with the bandwidth metering. I'll contact you for the rest in ticket although I warn it may take a day or two. Too many people have waited until the very last minute
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

True to his word, Matt has removed the bandwidth throttle, and I'm back on large burstable bandwidth.

Thanks all!