Thread: Rsync Help

Rsync Help

Hello,

rsync -avbe ssh --delete /backup/* [email protected]:/home/username/backups/
    I am currently using the above command to rsync backups to a remote server, and it works fine.

However, when it is running rsync sucks up all of the available bandwidth so the server seems to slow down. Is there anyway of limiting rsync's transfer rate, to say 500KB/s?

Also, is there anyway to make it run in the background so that I can log out of the shell while it runs?

Cheers,

Steve.

`man` is your friend.

--bwlimit=KBPS

If you plan to run it every night, just run it in a script so you don't have to worry about running in background manually.

Originally posted by slhost
    `man` is your friend.
    I always thought Google was my best friend.

Originally posted by slhost
    If you plan to run it every night, just run it in a script so you don't have to worry about running in background manually.
    Thanks, but I would still like to know how to run it in the background to expand my linux knowledge. Is it possible to manually run it in the background?

Cheers,

Steve

Use an ampersand ( & ) after the command to run in the background.

Example: ./script.sh &

I always like to put nohup at the front of the command and then & at the end. nohup will make sure the the command is completely finished even if you are logged out of ssh. The & sign runs the command in the background.
    Using nohup also generates a nohup,out file where all output from the command is sent so you can keep up to date with how far it has got by using tail nohup.out.

or just use screen

Experienced OpenStack Admin For Hire
    regular as admin0 on freenode IRC on #openstack and #openstack-ansible channels

Use screen, you'll feel more confident.
    I'd still use cron though, and put the output to a file somewhere (perhaps have it e-mailed to you). The advantage is there is no human error where cron is involved.

Why not use crontab for the backup ?

On linux you can use the command
    "nohup" which will keep the process running and output everyting that would normally go to the console into a file called nohup.out

so you would do something like this

nohup rsync -avbe ssh --delete /backup/* [email protected]:/home/username/backups/ &