rDNS setup at theplanet is getting complicated

I'll make the story short.

I am moving my mail server from one box to the other (both at theplanet).

My support ticket is simple>
    please create rDNS from ip x.x.x.x to point to mail.domain.com

their answer:
    we can't setup rDNS until mail.domain.com points to ip

my answer:
    can't change DNS until my server is actually moved, so i'd like to have the rDNS setup before, so I dont lose any email communications. (propagation, etc)

their answer:
    nope, can't do it.

----

Am I overlooking something or it this really stupid?

Whats the point of this post? Maybe I entirely missed it? If you don't like that policy shoot up the chain and complain, complain on their forum, complain on the phone, don't know how this topic deserves a thread here.

That's normal practice and has always been the case at ThePlanet for as long as I can remember. If the domain does not point to the IP in your nameservers, DNS is incomplete.

Originally posted by RossH
    Whats the point of this post? Maybe I entirely missed it? If you don't like that policy shoot up the chain and complain, complain on their forum, complain on the phone, don't know how this topic deserves a thread here.
    Where in my post did you see me complain? I'm asking if this is a valid request.

If I change the DNS entry now, and I start sending mail with my new server while rNDS is not setup, some mail will not make it through as some people block emails that don't have a valid rDNS setup.

I'm trying to make my mail server move as smooth as possible, and their request seems to make it harder.

You should be able to avoid downtime by just having two smtp servers and two mx records. When the time comes to decomission the old server just remove the mx record for it.

I think you are mis-understanding the request. They want 'a' hostname pointed to that server from that domain. I.E you can use 'theplanet.yourdomain.com' and then provide that. They are simply looking for proof that you own the domain in question and control it. This is to prevent people from submitting tickets for rDNS on aol.com / bankofamerica.com etc or other domains they do not own and will only cause problems.

Thanks,

Jeremy

add higher numbered MX record first and make A record.
    request rDNS... when it's done swap MX record.

Seems like requester do not know how mail work and the tech don't want explain why he can not do that.

Well, thanks for trying to help. I've proceeded to move my server. I set very low ttl for my dns and everything is running fine right now.