Thread: search engines

search engines

i keep saying this...but i'm still a total newbie at all this.

how do i get my site into google and other search engines?

Go to their web sites, find the add URL page, and do so.

However, if other sites already link to yours, the search engines will find you.
    Attracted to Linux, dedicated servers with CentOS 7 and Virtualmin Pro, and Archlinux as a personal OS preference.

so pretty much manually doing it, and links in other sites is all i can do, anything other options that would increase the visability of my site?

The best way to do it, LLightWhost, is have Website's link to you that are already in Google. Chances are, those sites will be spidered on a regular basis, and your site will therefore be picked up.

I would also submit your site to a number of directories. Dmoz been the one I would start with.
    - Jamie Harrop

Pay for sponsored advertising, this will increase your visibility greatly if done correctly.
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.

that link is very informative etechsupport2

thank you everyone, i appreciate the help

Currently botw.org directory is promoting free directory sponsor for 60 days.

You can list your site there (in a PR 6 page!) free for 60 days. It will get your site indexed within 1 day

I don't recommend submitting your site to the search engines unless it is a new site. If you are already listed, but maybe not at the top, and use the search engine submission form to submit your site, they may regard this as spam and blacklist your domain entirely.

If you are an existing site, work on getting quality incoming and outgoing links for your site, instead of submitting your site.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

it's a new site..but i'm glad to know that...cuz knowing me i would have tried to submit it more than once

Originally posted by LLightWhost
    ... i would have tried to submit it more than once
    Yes, definitely don't do this! It would not be good!

Originally posted by mynameweb
    If you are already listed, but maybe not at the top, and use the search engine submission form to submit your site, they may regard this as spam and blacklist your domain entirely.
    Search engines stopped penalizing for that years ago. At about the same time they stopped relying on submissions. These days, submission is likely to be of no real benefit at all (since pages that will be indexed will usually be found by the spiders first), but certainly won't result in blacklisting by any major search engine.

Two possible exceptons: using software to make a high volume of automated submissions might result in an block being put on the IP from which the software is connecting; and the various manually-edited directories may see this differently. At dmoz, for example, there's a risk that an editor will personally make the decision to blacklist a "submission spammer," but more importantly each submission for a given domain will push you back to the bottom of the queue.

Originally posted by JayC
    Search engines stopped penalizing for that years ago.
    No, they actually still do this.

I can tell you for an absolute fact that Google does not penalise you in any way for over-submission.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JayC
    Search engines stopped penalizing for that years ago.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any evidence to back that up? Here's some evidence contrary to your claim. from this page in Google's help section:

Fiction: A website will be removed from Google's index if it's "over-submitted."

Fact: We don't require submission nor do we penalize sites for "over-submission." You're free to submit as often as you wish. However, given the nature of our inclusion process, your time is better spent improving the content and links of your site.
    Look at it this way: if it were true, I could simply submit my top competitor's site a few dozen times tomorrow to each of the major search engines... and have them out of the way for a while...

Hmmmm....you know, I've never seen that one! I still hear from other "experts", though, that this is the case. This is the first time I've ever heard differently, and I want to thank you for pointing it out! (And sorry I didn't believe you the first time!)

This is why I like WHT - the folks here are generally of the more intelligent variety!!

Do you know if this over-submission limit removal holds true for Yahoo! as well?

I still hear from other "experts", though, that this is the case. This is the first time I've ever heard differently, and I want to thank you for pointing it out! (And sorry I didn't believe you the first time!)
    You're welcome. And no apology necessary.

The unfortunate fact is that the number of "experts" spouting outdated or simply inaccurate information about search engine optimization and related topics is simply overwhelming. Like I said, that was a risk years ago. People wrote about it recounting their stories, years ago. Those stories have been passed around as rumors ever since... and people "learning SEO" by reading stuff on the web pick up all kinds of stuff like that.

And of course if someone "learns" enough that way, eventually they're an expert! Therefore, there are "experts" still telling people they have to "put your keywords in your meta tags." There are "experts" still telling people that if they get their "keyword density" in some specific zone they'll be at the top in the search engines. There are "experts" passing on all kinds of rumors they've read once or twice online as fact; and there are "experts" who've never done any true research or testing to verify anything they've heard... and there are gullible people paying these "experts" for that "expertise."

So, that's the end of my rant... but yeah, I have no doubt at all that you've heard otherwise from "experts."

Do you know if this over-submission limit removal holds true for Yahoo! as well?
    As far as I know they don't address it on their site, but I'd present two arguments that suggest they don't penalize for it. The first is what I said above; too easy for an innocent site operator to be targetted. The second is that, like Google, they pretty much ignore submissions. Yahoo's help section does mention that over 99% of their additions come from their crawler. Basically, there's no reason even to care if someone spams the Add URL page... it's there mostly just because people expect one!
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.