Thread: disk space

disk space

/dev/hdc8 125G 114G 5.4G 96% /home

Why does it say I have 5.4G free when it should be 11G free (125 - 114)

run:

updatedb

/scripts/fixquotas

The ext2 filesystem reserves a chunk of disc allocation for 'root' - this stops logging failures and such if users manage to otherwise fill the partition, and gives root some room to breath when moving things around bacause a partition is "full".

IIRC the default for this is 5%, which just about matches your figures (which suggetss that your df command is not counting the 5% that users can't use as available, as is usual in my experience)

ext3 is the same, plus some space is reserved on top of this for the journal.

You can alter the % reserved (down to 0 is desired) using the tune2fs command.

that command seems complicated.. could you tell me how to make it use only 1%? Thanks.

Originally posted by ANewDay
    that command seems complicated.. could you tell me how to make it use only 1%? Thanks.
    While changing from 5% to 1% would gain you another 5GB of available space, you may want to consider adding a second hard drive to the server. Once you get around 90% or so, the filesystem's ability to stay defragmented is lost, and then you'll begin to see significantly lower disk performance.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Originally posted by ANewDay
    From a quick scan of the man-page (I use this sort of command so rarely that I never remeber the options without reference to man <command>!) "tune2fs -m 1 /dev/hdc8" should do it.

Caveat 1: the above is untested
    Caveat 2: you might need the filesystem mounted read-only or unmounted completely while the change is made
    Caveat 3: although bery unlikely, your version of tune2fs may be diffent - check "man tune2fs" to verify...

Also, as was said above, once you hit about 90% utilisation fragmentation becomes a far more significant issue.

ok, thanks. I thought linux don't need defragging.