I went running, got a stitch - HELP!

Right, during my idea of losing weight(which I've done extremly well) I decided to increase my fitness too, so last night, I took up running.

I've never been a great runner/jogger but recently I ran all the way home from the cinema(bet with a friend) which was roughly 2.1 miles and never stopped(it was a pretty slow pace).

But last night at around 11pm, I went running with a friend, ran about 3/4 a mile and got this incredible stitch on my right hand side, it made it unbearable to continue, although I did for another 500-600 yards then I stopped.

Why did i get it? I had walked 3 miles earlier that day, but had not drunk much whatsoever. Dehydration? Lack of fitness? Just unlucky?

Im going running again at 11pm tonight, but dont want the same to happen

Thanks, Philip
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Try keeping hydrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch

can explain it far better than i can!

Back when I was running more than I do now, I heard that the explanation for a stitch is that you strain abdomenal muscles because the breathing muscles of your chest are out of coordination with your diaphragm. The solution to the problem is to be very conscious of inhaling as you let your abdomen out and exhaling as you bring your abdomen in. This will keep you from working against yourself. I have found this to work.

That is too late to go running. It is best to run in the day. I know that I shouldnt' say anything, afterall, I am the one who went running at 1 or 2 am at night at 18 years old in college. No, I don't run that late anymore in college. I don't like people seeing me run.

When I played soccer at the beginning of the season, after long runs, my lungs would always feel really cold and almost like hurt. The trainer explained to me that was my lungs rubbing against my rib cage as they weren't used to being expanded like they were.

I would suggest to run first thing in the morning, and make sure you drink LOTS of water, to lose weight your body needs water, and if you drink relly cold water, you will lose weight (a slight amount) as your body needs to heat the water up. good luck with the running! make sure you warm up as well, spend a good ten minutes warming up, start with a 5 minute light jog, and then the rest stretching. the menshealth web site is really good for advice too.

Basically been covered. I used to be a serious runner and now just getting into doing it casually.

You'll find if you also do situps, back workouts, pushups and other core/upper body workout you'll strengthen and you're form will be better, thus being a more efficient runner. But more importantly it makes you look good

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't run at that time if I could choose

11pm-12am is the only time Im really free
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!