Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is hostpc down?

Is hostpc down?

I cant access hostpc.com or my site. Anyone else?

are either site hosted with verio? Ours is and I can't access it and calling tech or customer support ends up with me being disconnected.

Here's what's on their site right now:

All servers in the Boca Raton datacenter are down
    This affects ALL customers, including us.
    In case of emergency, our office phone is 518-724-6424, however there's really not
    anything we can do at this time until commercial power is restored
    which we anticiapte happening in the next few hours (max).
    We're also online at AIM jmack518
    ETA is a few hours at most so hang tight.
    Moving DNS to another datacenter at this point isn't prudent.
    I'll provide a full update here as soon as I have more information.
    Generators were all tested and fully operational on Thursday - all fuel on site to handle them.
    Unfortunately, they failed to start properly today - thus we're without power.
    Engineers are working to restore it asap.
    Wilma on the loose.

Re: Is hostpc down?

Originally posted by John902
    I cant access hostpc.com or my site. Anyone else?
    use this link: http://216.180.238.224/~host1

"Batteries held us for over an hour... the generators that covered the entire IBM campus failed. Customers like Verio are also affected by this - this is not just a "nickle/dime" datacenter - they tested the generators as recently as Thursday and there were no issues. Engineers are working to stabilize the sine wave issue sync'ing the generators now - and actually have been for nearly 2 hours."

Joe is frantic and upset over this, believe me. When I talked to him this morning he was not a happy camper. Bocacom had given extreme assurances that THIS could NOT happen and that they were well prepared for the storm.

Upset?? Heads WILL roll over this.

We had assurances from our datacenter that this wouldn't happen. Those assurances were based on information they were provided from the facility management teams.

Unfortunately - those "assurances" aren't holding up.

My number one priority is to get these servers back up and online. Then we'll make some careful decisions about this - and will begin to assign "blame" ONLY after this is said and done.

All we can do now is wait it out - either the generators will come online soon, or FPL (Florida Power and Light) will restore commercial power.

The storm has just exited stage right - I'd expect commercial power to be up soon.

I don't know. I live in Palm Beach Gardens (on the same zone of a fire rescue/police station) and it took us a good 24-48 hours to get power back. I'm not there now, obviously.

Gotta love an executive who posts "Heads WILL roll over this." That's the type of guy you want in charge.

Best of luck!

Im not hosting a site at hostpc.com but when i see what a great job that admin does. He reports everything very accurate in a log and even bought 2 servers for a temp solution. Thumbs UP!

Thumbs down

The admin should have been smart and never choose-rent florida location as datacenter.

Originally posted by zcx1
    Im not hosting a site at hostpc.com but when i see what a great job that admin does. He reports everything very accurate in a log and even bought 2 servers for a temp solution. Thumbs UP!
    Last edited by earn50; 10-24-2005 at 09:51 PM.

I'm sure Verio and IBM thought it through pretty well before they decided to invest millions into moving there (and having it built originally).

Originally posted by webhosb
    The admin should have been smart and never choose-rent florida location as datacenter.
    Gotta love people who register just to make about how hosting works with no obvious knowledge of facts. This scenerio could happen in Califonia (earthquakes), the Northeast (Noreasters and ice storms), Midwest (Tornados).

Fact is Crap Happens and life is full of the unexpected. It's not like nothing was prepared for ahead of time. They had 5 days of fuel, the tested the generators just 4 days ago and everything looked kosher. The fuel pump dieing on start up is simply Murphy's Law..nothing more.

Believe me when I say Joe has been working non-stop all day and still is trying to find servers and get something backup, but it's not like you just snap your fingers and wham..there's 40 servers and DA licenses..not to mention that cost involved.

So next time you fell the need to register at a forum just to make a uninformed comment, think twice about it. .
    Last edited by ArtieFishill; 10-24-2005 at 10:03 PM.

It's been well over two hours since the promise of a fix and generator restart.

If anybody has any new information, it would be welcome.

I guess million dollar doesn't buy tech support ev1servers.net is best. Verio.com hired a kindergarden kid to copy and paste same update status from last 6 hrs.

Originally posted by hostpc.com
    I'm sure Verio and IBM thought it through pretty well before they decided to invest millions into moving there (and having it built originally).

This has nothing to do with Datacenters in Florida... Any proper Datacenter should be able to run for days on generator backup. NAP is in the same area and has had fine luck with their generators. I'm told theve been on generator backup since early AM and their customers never even notice ANY downtime.

But predicting a fuel pump failure is impossible. And the whole area is without power, not to mention the general havik created by Wilma. I'm sure it would be difficult to get a light bulb changed, nevermind a generator's fuel pump.

It seems that once everything is ironed out, a more extensive procedure for testing the Generators will have to be put in place. For something as serious and expected as Wilma, they should have inspected the fuel level (to see it was never rising) in the small tank to be sure.

I guess million dollar doesn't buy tech support ev1servers.net is best. Verio.com hired a kindergarden kid to copy and paste same update status from last 6 hrs.
    1. If EV1servers is the best, how come it's taken over 5 hours to assign IP's to servers I purchased there today? Oh thats right, they ALSO had a major outage today - TWICE.

2. As far as a "kindergarden update" - they have no physical power, thus no connectivity - pretty good that they managed to get ANYTHING online, wouldn't ya say?

"Location of Datacenter" does matter. Atleast you can get rid of natural disaster out of 1 major reason for downtime for server. Natural disaster can occur anywhere, but some region and state are more prone to snow, rain and hurricane AVOID THEM.

Rather than dealing with me!! may be post a update on your website for your customer. I am ev1server.com customer and i haven't had any downtime today and I am happy.
    No Update for 3 hours.
    Update: 8:30PM ET:
    We have been informed that the engineers believe they have fixed the problem. They are now preparing generators for start up. We're not sure on how long this will take, but once they're started we'll have the servers back online.

You're obviously reading an old copy

saw one generator is back online, should I still change my dns to backup? should have done that this morning. the false hope actually hurt me more now ...shoulda woulda ...

joe, I hope you will be offering some sort of resync or redundant service soon

Rather than dealing with me!! may be post a update on your website for your customer. I am ev1server.com customer and i haven't had any downtime today and I am happy.
    No Update for 3 hours.
    Update: 8:30PM ET:
    We have been informed that the engineers believe they have fixed the problem. They are now preparing generators for start up. We're not sure on how long this will take, but once they're started we'll have the servers back online.
    To be honest, you seem intent on doing nothing but pimping EV1. What is any of this your business anyway?

You bring no info to this thread. The mere fact that you signed up to JUST post in this thread tells me that you are using a fake account and are no doubt hiding your identity simply to harass HostPC.

Ex-HostPC client? Maybe a certain one that lurks around here that has a grudge for one reason or another?

Bocacom actually has a fine rep, this is the first time I've ever seen any problems like this myself, but I've seen tons of them with EV1 over the years.

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    The fuel pump dieing on start up is simply Murphy's Law..nothing more.
    Originally posted by Wheemer
    But predicting a fuel pump failure is impossible.
    I disagree with both of you. That looks, sounds and acts like a "single point of failure" to me. Any component in any system can be expected to fail and a fuel pump is no exception. There was a fatal flaw in the design of that 10MW power plant, and it was the critically important yet inexplicably nonredundant fuel pump. As a single point of failure, and depending on the size and expense, if a second unit couldn't be included in the design as a redundancy then a spare fuel pump should have been kept on hand in case of the unexpected. Unexpected, not unpredictable.

Funny you should mention EV1, I also am a customer of their's and I did experience some problems today with my server, as evidenced in this thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=455215

Now, personally I figure EV1 would have trucked in some portable generators by now, as they did once in the past, however they weren't recovering from a hurricane so portable generator trucks just might not be an option in Florida right now, I dunno. If I had to guess I'd say Verio/Boca will probably look into upgrading their generator setup when things are back online.

Gary, it's hard to chalk that up to EV1 without direct evidence of a problem, today. The whole Internet's been, well, 'screwy' lately:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...98#post3450798

Has EV1 been verifiably down due to power or the hurricane, or just bad routing? Things have only started clearing up for me in the past couple of hours, but something still doesn't "feel right".

Edited for Gary.
    Last edited by BigBison; 10-25-2005 at 03:41 AM.

Originally posted by BigBison
    Gary, it's hard to chalk that up to EV1 without direct evidence of a problem, today. The whole Internet's been, well, screwy:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...98#post3450798

Has EV1 been verifiably down due to power or the hurricane, or just bad routing?
    I've seen screwy all week not just today

All Verio / Boca servers are now back online ... we'll be making further announcements in our forums later today.

Originally posted by BigBison
    I disagree with both of you. That looks, sounds and acts like a "single point of failure" to me. Any component in any system can be expected to fail and a fuel pump is no exception. There was a fatal flaw in the design of that 10MW power plant, and it was the critically important yet inexplicably nonredundant fuel pump. As a single point of failure, and depending on the size and expense, if a second unit couldn't be included in the design as a redundancy then a spare fuel pump should have been kept on hand in case of the unexpected. Unexpected, not unpredictable.

To be honest, a single pump is not all that uncommon. I also work for a major bank and our building emergency gen has but a single pump. There are many "single points of failure" in any system. It's like you going down to your garage and starting your car, it starts fine, no sign of problems. You go down next day, it doesn't start. I'm sure though that Verio will be doing a major overhaul in having parts on site to fix almost ANYTHING on the gens going forward.

I am not pimping for anybody do you see any link or affiliate link on my post for a hosting company? I am a happy customer so I was just recommending them and there is nothing wrong it. I was expressing my views which what this forum is for. I think if you could have ignore my first post about datacenter location, we would never get into this argument. I am both verio and ev1server customer. My verio datacenter is in different location and was never affected by this outage. Moderator please delete my post if you think I was wrong.
    "ArtieFishill" it seems you are pimping (read your post) more than me for HOSTPC.com for which I never said a word; because everybody has his or her own views and I respect that. 1000 more post than me doesn't make you a god of webhostingtalk.com.
    Last edited by earn50; 10-25-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Check your sites guy's Bocacom seems to be down again

Sure looks like HostPC is off line again.
    This is getting frustrating.

I am not pimping for anybody do you see any link or affiliate link on my post for a hosting company? I am a happy customer so I was just recommending them and there is nothing wrong it. I was expressing my views which what this forum is for. I think if you could have ignore my first post about datacenter location, we would never get into this argument. I am both verio and ev1server customer. My verio datacenter is in different location and was never affected by this outage. Moderator please delete my post if you think I was wrong.
    "ArtieFishill" it seems you are pimping (read your post) more than me for HOSTPC.com for which I never said a word; because everybody has his or her own views and I respect that. 1000 more post than me doesn't make you a god of webhostingtalk.com.
    I'm not pimping anyone, I just happen to know Joe personally. I stand by my conviction that you're just here to stir the pot. Period.

Joe is leaving in 1 hour to fly to Florida. He is going ot get backups of all the harddrives and be back tommorrow. At that point he will be moving HostPC to new DC. While the generator issue was bad enough, the Verio issue broke the camels back.

None of this could have been foreseen nor avoided on his end. He was given all assurances that the DC was well prepared. Obviouisly at this point, although Boca has been up till this incident, a very good DC, this kind of lack of action is unacceptable.

(though to be honest, EV1 is not much better if any).

Do you know of a way to contact the other hostPC staff (like Ryan, Sean, Nick...)

Joe is leaving in 1 hour to fly to Florida. He is going ot get backups of all the harddrives and be back tommorrow. .
    Glad to see a company taking such initiative....most of the other ones seem to be in the Bocacom thread just waiting around and whining about the downtime.

10:20PM ET: Current plan is - Joe is copying the data to harddrives he took with him, then he's Fed-Exing that data overnight to EV1 (ev1servers.net) and they're ready to recieve those drives and mount them into new servers for data retrieval. He just left Orlando and should hopefully be on site at Bocacom within 3 hours or so to start data backups. Hopefully he'll get there and the normal utilities will already be back online (hope springs eternal).

Ok..just got off the phone with Joe. He's in Florida on his way to Bocacom. He's got 2 ft foot extention cords, a car battery and a AC/DC convertor and plans on booting up a single server and start copying drives. He's got 1.2TB of disk with him and hopes that will be enough. He's also going to raise holy hell while he's there....I believe he's going to backup the ded's as well, but his phone was breaking up so didn't get that part.

I'll keep ppl updated as much as possible, but I don't expect to hear from him until tommorrow morning.

He sounds very tired.

He sounds very tired.
    Absolutely no doubt he is. I hope he remembers to get some rest as well and looks after his health.

I am about to make a donation to him for all of his hard work.
    Thank you Joe, and please, take care of yourself!

Why not spend $200/month for offsite backups?

[q]He's got 2 ft foot extention cords, a car battery and a AC/DC convertor and plans on booting up a single server and start copying drives[/q]

Doesn't sound like a good plan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast