Starting Web Host

Hi All,

I am looking into moving my websites to my home ADSL line, does anybody know any good programs to use for account creations, i am used to using CPanel but its to expensive for my needs.

The pc will be using linux for your information. I only need to support my current sites and maybe a few others later down the line.

Best Regards

Stuart

What is your DSL upline speed? This is probably not a good idea to do this over a DSL connection, because most upline speeds are in the 386k/768k range, which is not enough to support one website, much less multiple sites.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

If your web site is important for you then i recommend that you don't host your web site on your home using a DSL connection. Better to find a reliable reseller account if you are planning on hosting multiple sites.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

If your looking for a cheaper CP try Directadmin or webmin(free), im sure there are a few others around aswell.

I would not recommend hosting customers websites on a home DSL line however if they are just for personal purposes you should be fine

[edit: spelling ]
    System Administrator

Originally posted by voidhosting
    I would not recommend hosting customers websites on a home DSL line however if they are just for personal purposes you should be fine
    Although they will still load v v e e e r r r r y y s l o w l y for your site visitors.

It would depend on the type of content hosted, static html pages would load fast even on 256k upload.
    System Administrator

But only if you do not have a large number of visitors.

I am looking into moving my websites to my home ADSL line
    You should also make sure your ISP allows you to do that as many will only allow this type of usage on "business packages" only.

best bet is to gte yourself a cheap reseller account then ur sorted

Sorry for saying that but it is not serious to do web hosting under ADSL line. But anyway. Wish you good luck.

Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Originally posted by voidhosting
    It would depend on the type of content hosted, static html pages would load fast even on 256k upload.
    I have a test server hooked up to my home ADSL, where I prototype stuff (as it is more convinient to edit code on a "local" network location). I wouldn't use it for anything I wanted publically available though.

I find that my 256Kbit-up ADSL line can push a sustained ~28Kbyte/sec (peaking aound 30Kb/sec), but anything above ~25Kbyte/sec throttles my downstream bandwith slightly and increases latency in both directions astronomically (especially if there are several active steams going out and not just one). So if you are serious about hosting anything public on such a line you'll need to implement some traffic shaping.

For control panels: sort it by hand and you'll learn a useful thing-or-two! - though you could look at WebMin. That should be all you need for a personal setup and can be installed easily on most Linux distros (apt-get install webmin for debian, followed by apt-get install webmin_<module> if you want something not in the default package).

There are other alternatives out there too:
    http://vhcs.net/new/
    http://www.web-cp.net/
    http://www.syscp.de/page/start
    though I've never used any of the above. Looking at the websites, some of them don't look far off being decent cPanel/DA/Plesk/what-ever replacements for small-scale systems.