Exclamation My Review Of BlueHost.com Hosting

These were my first foray into webhosting and honestly I am not pleased

At first I was very surprised and happy. I signed up and on the same day I received a phone call saying that my website had been set up and that it would become live in a few days.

Great!

The cPanel was feature rich as always, and I had the option to buy addon domains, which I have done.

Trouble came when I set up a message board. We ran over the CPU quota constantly. Server load was running at a constant 4.0-6.0, I wasn't sure what this is, but I have since moved to a more powerful server and the load is at 0.10-3.0 an indication that BlueHost's servers are not powerful. Imagine at lunch, hundreds of people logging to a big red screen that warned them the account had run over CPU quota.

I looked around on the internet, and of course they got amazing reviews. Perhaps these were bought?

Connectivity, seriously I have called them practically every other day when BlueHost was my main site (I use them for image hosting now..and it still sucks. It's down at the moment, www.bluelaundry.com). If the site isn't down, the MySQL server is. These disconnections are not short. Maybe 3-4 hours? Then a grace period of extremely slow as molasses surfing.

The MySQL server seems to reset itself every 5-10 minutes in the morning and during the day it crashes as well, my mailbox was filled with vBulletin MySQL errors.

Yes BlueHost is cheap, but they encourage you to buy a yearly term. You get 4 gigs of hard drive space, and 100 gigabytes of transfer per year. Chances are you will *not* use this much.

From my server status, the server I am on is already 89% full. I've used less than 1 gigabyte, I doubt if I extended the image hosting to the full 4 gigabytes I would have room on a sever that's already 89% full.

As of this morning my site is down, if that's any indiication to you. What am I running on the site? Data storage, that's it.

They're tech support is good when it's available, the people are very kind and helpful, but there's something with their service.

I have since switched to a different host, and hey my site's available, fast, no more CPU quota overload screens (BIG RED SCREEN which is displayed to everyone.) and faster email support.

My final world? I'll be looking for a refund soon, which they said they would be able to provide.

Excellent review, sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. I hope you find a more reliable host, be sure to do research

Also remember, make sure you always keep backups of your data no matter who you choose to host your website.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Best of luck in the future!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

That's what happens when hosts oversell just a little to much..
    Anyway glad you got it all sorted now

Interesting review... this company seems to have a rather mixed bag of customer opinions. Glad you found some other host you're happy with.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Good review, I nearly went with them a year or so ago for my image uploader site I used to run. Glad I didn't.

Kiren, we've had EXACTLY the same problems. Red screen, mysql database disconnects, after which we call and they explain that either "we had 20 processes going at once," which is possible considering 20 isn't really that much, or "I'll have a tech look into it". It's a great way to put a whole mess of users on one server though. Fact of the matter is, even if our sites get 500 visitors per day at an average 500k transfered per visitor, then it still comes out to 7.5 gb per mo which should fall under the margin. Thing is, hits are usually generated during peak hours, and thus you stand a much better chance of tripping up the red screen.

What's kinda funny about it is that it would hang around for a while. We'd be redscreened for like 30min. Most users get to site, and if it doesn't work they're outta there in 5 sec flat pissed off.

I do agree that their support is great though. Friendly, available etc.

Probably switching to media temple.

.:pl

Thanks guys!

I know it's horrible...a big ugly red screen, at least they could make it prettier

I have a hosting at bluehost, I think it's very good , fast and friendly support
    my site: yahoohelpers.com

Regarding "yahoohelpers.com" post - your site has coppermine with one picture. What are you basing your "very good , fast" comment on?

So who would be a good web hoster to go with?

should i consider all these negative inputs regarding bluehost?

I am torn between bluehost and hostgator. Bluehost is cheaper with the same features. Am I correct?

Cool review, I've noticed the dreaded 'red screen' as well, very annoying. Luckily my site doesn't get it all that often (as far as I know!), and in their favour bluehost's customer service is pretty responsive.

Your review states "100 gigabytes of transfer per year", I believe this should have been "per month".

hi

I have big site but some body just hacked my site over XSS erros , an other site add on is dearvietnam.com welcome to you , database erros so I must resetup gallery

free photos for you

Quote Originally Posted by rado1

I am torn between bluehost and hostgator. Bluehost is cheaper with the same features. Am I correct?
    Well, of course if you want to save $$ then by all means go with Bluehost....
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by rado1

Well, I've not had the problems with my bluehost account that are mentioned in the negative posts & all hosts have problems sometimes. Generally, though I'd say that hostgator have more positive posts here than bluehost. You have to search the comments yourself (+ the review sites) & make your own mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    Well, of course if you want to save $$ then by all means go with Bluehost....
    But are the negative comments or inputs stated above...a sign of over-selling? Maybe they are hosting more than they can handle. And in short, they are over-promising and under-delivering.