Dedicatednow.com VS. servstra.com

Greets,

I am trying to find a new provider for a server I need and would highly appreciate your opinion on that matter. I am in need of a server I would use mainly as mySQL server for other servers.

Now I narrowed down my quest to these 2 server packages/providers and would be glad to hear your opinion on those 2 providers:

* Servstra.com
    * Dedicatednow.com

These are the packages I am considering:

* Servstra - DAMDOPTS3 (Dual Opteron 246, 2GB RAM, 2x 76 SCSI HD)
    * Dedicatednow (Dual Opteron 246, 2GB RAM, 2x200 SATA)

Now my questions would be those:

1) Whome would you consider the "better" provider, so to say, which one would you choose if you would have to decide between those 2 and the packages would be kinda identical (which they are not in reality, but just so I know what provider you would prefer). I mean I read a lot good things (and a few bad things) about both providers solemnly, but would be interested which of the 2 you would prefer over the other.

2) Who of the 2 provides "more" managed service? I mean they both claim - as far as I understood it - to be "(semi)managed" but whome of the 2 is able to provide one with more "managing"?

3) Would you believe that the 2x SCSI HDs would make a big difference speed wise compared to the 2x SATA HDs, when the server is meant to do huge mySQL database queries?

Thank you for reading through that post and thanx in advance for the replies, I really appreciate your professional advice.

regards, torch
    Last edited by torch; 10-23-2005 at 11:17 AM.

they both claim - as far as I understood it - to be "(semi)managed"
    Servstra is managed.
    Check http://www.servstra.com/management/

Originally posted by dAin
    Servstra is managed.
    Check http://www.servstra.com/management/

FYI: We are now fully managed.
    Jay

I would call Servstra semi managed,or almost managed.
    Managed is a pretty vague term thesedays.
    Anyway,for a managed,but not proactive, Servstra is pretty ok.
    Support is outsourced to India of course,but,besides that, they are pretty good at Linux(they are medium at BSD) and the resolution to tickets is rocketspeed for that price
    Servstra is reselling for LT,so,basically you get an LT quality hardware&network server with some management offered on the top of it...all that for a decent price

We've had very good experiences with dedicatednow.com - I highly recommend them.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    We've had very good experiences with dedicatednow.com - I highly recommend them.

--Tina
    I agree and can say I have had the same.
    I always did like the clouds

I have not a server from dedicatednow but I soon will.
    I talked to Douglas and he is a very nice support guy, I think I will have a very good time with dedicatednow

Originally posted by blackbm
    I have not a server from dedicatednow but I soon will.
    I talked to Douglas and he is a very nice support guy, I think I will have a very good time with dedicatednow
    Doug is great. I had a nice hour long conversation with him discussing my grievances about DedicatedNow, and he seems destined to correct each and every one.

Jay, give that guy free reign on what to do, and a little pay raise.

Yeah, I've always worked with Jay - - he's da man!

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I would go with Servstra. Having a server with them for 9 months now. Awsome. Support is fast, < 30 mins. Search the forum .. there are many threads about some_managed_server_provider VS. servstra (resellerworkz.com)

I would like, know the size of your mysql database, and after know which server you chosen

The DB is about 30 GB big and I tend to use servstra for the SCSI drives, but then I am not sure wether these would be of advantage speed wise. What would you think?

regards, torch

Dedicated Now owns their own facilitiy, while servsta is a reseller.

If price is close and you can deal with sata go with DedicatedNow to by pass the middle man

The SCSI drivers will give you a better performance, but would recommend you have more RAM because 30 GB is too

I've been with Servstra for the past 10 months and highly recommend them.
    Great support and fast response as sql mentioned regardless of the time of day (or night).

i agree with sql & borderline...been with servstra for over a year and they are awesome. evey single time i have an problem, i submit a ticket and one of their techs saves the day. can't ask for much more considering how much i pay them!

can't comment on dedicatednow as i've never used em'

We have, I believe, 18 servers with dedicatednow.com. The average response time for server reboots is 5 minutes. We actually put in a helpdesk ticket this morning at 6:52 am, requesting rDNS updates on some of our IPs. It was properly handled and replied to by 7:03 am - 11 minutes later.

I'm very impressed.

--Tina

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    We have, I believe, 18 servers with dedicatednow.com. The average response time for server reboots is 5 minutes. We actually put in a helpdesk ticket this morning at 6:52 am, requesting rDNS updates on some of our IPs. It was properly handled and replied to by 7:03 am - 11 minutes later.

I'm very impressed.

--Tina
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Tina. I've been considering D-NOW myself for quite a while now, I guess I'll order a server there pretty soon =)
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

ts-host.com is also very good - we just requested a port speed increase on one of our servers at 7:28 am. At 7:30 am, the tech responded to the ticket and told us that the port had been increased.

--Tina

I recommend DN
    ComCities.Com| provide hosting solutions Since 2002
    FLV Enable Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions

I recommend both of them, but LT network is facing problems in many countries, sites/servers are unaccessible.
    I...
    Hate Films,
    Loves who Hate films,
    Loves who loves to Hate Films.