Need Hosting Help

I am setting up a website just like megaupload and rapidshare and I am wondering what should I do for my hosting as I would need alot of space and bandwith how do they do it. Let me know what way I should start out and thoughts and recommendations is great. Thanks

You should start out with a VPS, and then upgrade to a dedicated server as your website grows. You can start out with a dedicated server, but in my opinion that would be waste of money.

There are several VPS providers which you might want to look into. You are looking at about $40 to $50 per month to begin with for a reliable VPS solution.

Best of luck

Originally posted by WN-Ali
    You should start out with a VPS, and then upgrade to a dedicated server as your website grows. You can start out with a dedicated server, but in my opinion that would be waste of money.

There are several VPS providers which you might want to look into. You are looking at about $40 to $50 per month to begin with for a reliable VPS solution.

Best of luck
    I am looking into the vps provider and there storage isnt that great can you please point me in the right direction of a good reliable server. I currently host with lunarpages and you cant get any better support from them with there chatroom support. So what do you think I would need in space to start out with do you think and the bandwith what min would you think I should start out with.

check into dedicated servers at layeredtech.com, they have some really nice sempron servers in the $60 range which is just a shave about a VPS solution

There is not much space 80 gb or so do you think that will be enough to start out with what space should i start out with let me know. Thanks

80gb is quite a bit of space. it will be plenty to host images on and some videos. course as things pickup you can always upgrade hard drives easily as it is your dedicated machines. I think the layered machines can support at least 2 or 3 250gb drives

You should get a dedicated server, a VPS account would probably be a bad idea becouse of the shared infrastructure.. FDCservers have some good prices, you should try with them.

I am on layeredtech.com and I like the plan L2-AMD-SEMP-2600-A I am wondering what operating system should I choose and I am really not familar with these servers is it just pretty much going to operate about the same as shared hosting with the cpanel and ftp uploading for website building please let me know. Also is this the best website for the servers if there is any other you recommend let me know. Thanks

I would say get centos 3.x, cpanel, and hire a management company like platinumservermanagement.com to take care of security and routine things that you will run into with dedicated servers

I am pretty new to dedicated servers but I am not new to computers I learn things very fast is it very hard to manage it yourself.

it's not too bad but a company like platinum for 24.95 a month will help you out in a pinch. I am fairly adept at server management but i still hire serverwizards at $75/mo just in case there is something i dont know and for the more advanced stuff that just gets in my way of focussing on my business.

the big thing is security especially in your situation, kids with kiddie scripts can really be a pain the *** if not protected against!

Well what do you think I should do I dont really have time to manage it but I dont really have that kind of money on this particular project when I am just starting out. You know I am trying to make a webpage like www.megaupload.com, rapidshare.de do you think I should go that route or what route should I go to just get my foot in the door. Please let me know. Thanks

I would say still do the dedicated server or find a host that may be willing to do a "semi-dedicated" solution which is basically just a high resource shared hosting account for a smaller monthly fee.

what do you think your budget would allow?

I only want to start really at the most $60 a month do you have any recommendations I have just started other projects as of lately so I pay other hosting fees with lunarpages and I have other websites I want to setup but for this project for now I would say $60 until the website takes off and my budget is more. Let me know what route I should go on this. Thanks alot for your help so far.

I would think that would be sufficient to get a reasonable amount of storage space and data transfer to get you on the right track, most hosts are willing to create something custom for the right user. If you are happy with your other hosts I would say email them and ask them for a plan of say 30gb space and 400gb transfer and outlione your project, see what they give you for a price, you may be surprised

ev1servers.com (maybe .net) has good plans. Does that help?

Get a message board, pay nothing!
    Currently serving over 136,000 members. (live counter on main page)
    www.FreePowerBoards.com

Hello murray that isnt a whole lot of space isnt there something else I should do I would like at least a 80gb should I just go with layer they have a good plan on 80 gb server with cpanel let me know if I should just do that.

only problem with going with the layered server is the budget, you would be looking at $90/mo excluding management costs. the reason I suggested going with something smaller space wise was to give you room to have a low budget at first and then increase as revenue increases as well. Like there is going to be a few months I am sure where you wont even come close to the 30gb mark

Alright but I am going to be hosting the file for other people so should I just do a shared hosting plan do you think and see how it goes the first month. I might just do that then.

yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, just be sure to get one that has alot of space with a decent provider. stay away from high plans at ******.com and hosts of that nature

if you want just a cheap (testing, etc) plan I'd try ******.com

I've used them before and they are terrible for active sites but work perfectly for sites that don't have a ton of traffic to handle.

www.FreePowerBoards.com

No that wouldnt work this site is going to have alot of traffic to handle. I will figure something out thanks for everyones help

anytime, good luck in your search

your welcome. I cxan't really suggest any others as those are the only two I have had experiece with.

www.FreePowerBoards.com