View Poll Results: Hoooooow do you sleep?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • On my Back

    5 6.85%
  • On my side

    32 43.84%
  • On my belly

    18 24.66%
  • I rotate.

    18 24.66%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858

    how do you sleep?

    How do you sleep?

  2. #2
    On meh Belly!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    3,498
    Hah, had to actually think about this one. Usually on my side, I've got a crappy mattress so thats what is comfortable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    I sleep on my stomach, with the head facing my left side. I'll sleep for 7 hours, if uninterrupted. I'm a good sleeper.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    I sleep on my side. For the most part I am laying on my left side part of my body. Not sure why though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    9,576
    Belly with my head to the right. Arms and legs are usually spread out like a starfish when I have the room though.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    332
    Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    I sleep on my stomach, with the head facing my left side. I'll sleep for 7 hours, if uninterrupted. I'm a good sleeper.
    I was wondering...

    Doesn't your neck get kinked or messed up if you keep it in the wrong direction for 7 hours straight? I sleep on my side, and I have to position my head in the same direction as the rest of my body, or else I wake up with a neck that hurts for the rest of the day.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    I know if I am really tired I will just fall on my bed. Then I will for the most part have a kink in my neck. Which takes forever to get it taken away.


    Originally posted by CoolinHL
    I was wondering...

    Doesn't your neck get kinked or messed up if you keep it in the wrong direction for 7 hours straight? I sleep on my side, and I have to position my head in the same direction as the rest of my body, or else I wake up with a neck that hurts for the rest of the day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    261
    I fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    10,573
    on myside, i never made it sleeping on my back i always wakeup from my own snoring noise lol

    i also heard its not healthy to sleep on the stomach IIRC
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

    Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lakeport CA, Clear Lake
    Posts
    1,856
    Since tossing and turning was not an option, I chose "I rotate"
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Originally posted by CoolinHL
    Doesn't your neck get kinked or messed up if you keep it in the wrong direction for 7 hours straight?
    It usually doesn't, but this morning I actually woke up with a sore neck.

    I've heard that it's best to sleep on your back.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  13. #13
    On my side ...

    Usually can't decide which side is more comfortable so I tend to swap around a bit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bay Area -USA
    Posts
    1,738
    I try to fall asleep on my back - but my junk of a matress usually forces me to my side. Always with one leg out of the covers and never more than one thin sheet to cover me - and always with the window open a crack - and always in boxers only.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,793
    As we all move around in our sleep, whether we realise it or not, possible everone should be choosing rotate I fall asleep on my side, but could wake in any which position.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    You know the poll should of said Do you sleep?.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    3,301
    I fall asleep on my stomach, all spread out like ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woking, England
    Posts
    1,396
    i fall asleep on my side but i fidgit in bed so much that by morning I can be facing the other way (or more commonly my duvet is)...but i wake up on my back....i think
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lansing, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,548
    Hehe... well... you can certainly gague here who sleeps in bed with another person I sleep on my side... oddly enough, the most comfortable side is always the side that makes me sleep facing the wall.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woking, England
    Posts
    1,396
    Originally posted by WO-Jacob
    Hehe... well... you can certainly gague here who sleeps in bed with another person I sleep on my side... oddly enough, the most comfortable side is always the side that makes me sleep facing the wall.
    I once had a dream that I was in a fight. I kicked the person....I suddenly woke up with a soar foot

    Yep, I'd just kicked the wall!

    (and I think I've done that twice )
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,439
    I fall asleep usually on my belly with my right arm (in an inverted V position) supporting my head, my brother says jokingly that I probably knock myself out by smelling my arm pit.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,211
    With my eyes closed and in a bed....is it me or are threads in GC getting more and more pointless by the day?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,033
    Originally posted by talkfreelance
    With my eyes closed and in a bed....is it me or are threads in GC getting more and more pointless by the day?
    If you think it is pointless then do not read it and do not respond to it. It is not hard to click back!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,211
    Just wanted to put a point across that more time should be taken when creating threads to make them more interesting.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,752
    Originally posted by talkfreelance
    With my eyes closed and in a bed....is it me or are threads in GC getting more and more pointless by the day?

    Ah c'mon , every thread created by mikey is not pointless , it is MEGA POINTLESS!
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Originally posted by talkfreelance
    Just wanted to put a point across that more time should be taken when creating threads to make them more interesting.
    I dunno. I found this one of the more interesting threads of late.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    11,059
    Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    I've heard that it's best to sleep on your back.
    I've heard that too, and I've also heard sleeping on your side is best. But definitely not on your stomach.

    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2539.html

    talkfreelance, it's actually a topic worthy of discussion, provided we inject some useful information. Hey, maybe the article I just referenced will convince Aussie Bob to get off his tummy and into a better position.

    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Well to be honest I really don't know how I sleep, you see I am asleep at the time and as anybody who has been asleep should know, you are not aware of what your doing while asleep. If you are aware of what your doing then by definition your NOT asleep. Sure I may lay on my side or lay on my back or cuddle up to somebody but once asleep how would we know what happens.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by vito
    I've heard that too, and I've also heard sleeping on your side is best. But definitely not on your stomach.

    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2539.html

    talkfreelance, it's actually a topic worthy of discussion, provided we inject some useful information. Hey, maybe the article I just referenced will convince Aussie Bob to get off his tummy and into a better position.

    Vito
    Sleeping positions are personal. As long as you're comfy, there really isn't a wrong way to sleep
    source: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2539.htm

    Now I know somebody has to do it so it may as well be me.

    There's no best way to sleep, only the best way to sleep for you

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lansing, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,548
    Originally posted by TheDoctor
    source: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2539.htm

    Now I know somebody has to do it so it may as well be me.

    There's no best way to sleep, only the best way to sleep for you

    Doc
    There is no right time to rip SRW's sig, only the time that is right for you.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by WO-Jacob
    There is no right time to rip SRW's sig, only the time that is right for you.
    At least I stayed on topic.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    9,576
    Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    As we all move around in our sleep, whether we realise it or not, possible everone should be choosing rotate I fall asleep on my side, but could wake in any which position.
    Not really. When I fall asleep I go down hard. There's been more than a few occasions where my wife had poked me with some amount of concern thinking I've gone and died on her.

    I've also slept for 10 hours and woken up in the exact position I remember lying down in and feel like I've 'napped' for 5 minutes.

    Oddly you could let off a bomb in my loungroom and I'll sleep right through. if you tip-toe through the room I'm sleeping in and I'll be wide awake instantly.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lansing, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,548
    Originally posted by TheDoctor
    At least I stayed on topic.

    Doc
    I was way on topic... i made that comment because I have not slept yet

    Anything sounds funny when you don't sleep... so... when you do sleep, sleep well, reguardless of if it is in your back, side, belly, or even upside down.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    London, Britannia.
    Posts
    3,077
    The army of "on my back" sleepers has now grown to.....3.

    I can't believe it's such a small proportion of the vote so far but there we go.



    [color=dark-blue]You might find this of interest >>

    If you want an insight into somebody's true personality, then try to catch a glimpse of the way they sleep.
    Scientists believe the position in which a person goes to sleep provides an important clue about the kind of person they are.

    Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, has analysed six common sleeping positions - and found that each is linked to a particular personality type.

    "We are all aware of our body language when we are awake but this is the first time we have been able to see what our subconscious posture says about us.

    "What's interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from what we would expect."


    To see the six positions studied by Professor Idzikowski
    click here.

    The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.
    This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.


    Log (15%): Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

    The yearner (13%): People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

    Soldier (8%): Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

    Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

    Starfish (5%): Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.
    The remainder of those in the poll said the position they fell asleep varied or did not know.

    Health effect

    Professor Idzikowski also examined the effect of various sleeping positions on health.

    He concluded that the freefall position was good for digestion, while the starfish and soldier positions were more likely to lead to snoring and a bad night's sleep.

    Professor Idzikowski said: "Lying down flat means that stomach contents can more readily be worked back up into the mouth, while those who lie on their back may end up snoring and breathing less well during the night.

    "Both these postures may not necessarily awaken the sleeper but could cause a less refreshing night's sleep."

    The research also found that most people are unlikely to change their sleeping position. Just 5% said they sleep in a different position every night.

    Duvet position

    Professor Idzikowski also found that one arm or leg sticking out of the duvet is Britain's most common position, followed by both feet poking out the end.

    One in ten people like to cover themselves entirely with the duvet.

    End extract <<[/color]

    Diagram and further info on the survey :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm


    Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-23-2005 at 09:54 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by Critic
    The army of "on my back" sleepers has now grown to.....3.

    I can't believe it's such a small proportion of the vote so far but there we go.



    [color=dark-blue]You might find this of interest >>

    If you want an insight into somebody's true personality, then try to catch a glimpse of the way they sleep.
    Scientists believe the position in which a person goes to sleep provides an important clue about the kind of person they are.

    Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, has analysed six common sleeping positions - and found that each is linked to a particular personality type.

    "We are all aware of our body language when we are awake but this is the first time we have been able to see what our subconscious posture says about us.

    "What's interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from what we would expect."


    To see the six positions studied by Professor Idzikowski
    click here.

    The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.
    This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.


    Log (15%): Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

    The yearner (13%): People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

    Soldier (8%): Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

    Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

    Starfish (5%): Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.
    The remainder of those in the poll said the position they fell asleep varied or did not know.

    Health effect

    Professor Idzikowski also examined the effect of various sleeping positions on health.

    He concluded that the freefall position was good for digestion, while the starfish and soldier positions were more likely to lead to snoring and a bad night's sleep.

    Professor Idzikowski said: "Lying down flat means that stomach contents can more readily be worked back up into the mouth, while those who lie on their back may end up snoring and breathing less well during the night.

    "Both these postures may not necessarily awaken the sleeper but could cause a less refreshing night's sleep."

    The research also found that most people are unlikely to change their sleeping position. Just 5% said they sleep in a different position every night.

    Duvet position

    Professor Idzikowski also found that one arm or leg sticking out of the duvet is Britain's most common position, followed by both feet poking out the end.

    One in ten people like to cover themselves entirely with the duvet.

    End extract <<[/color]

    Diagram and further info on the survey :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm


    Critic,
    I believe this is very true. The fact is I have been attempting to carry out a similar survey of womens sleeping habits. As I am only one person the job of running a survey of both male and female would be beyond my resources that is why I have limited the survey to women. Although it has proven difficult to convince everybody my intentions are purely scientific.
    seems once you say you want to sleep with them as part of a survey some people mis understand.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    5,383
    Originally posted by akashik
    Belly with my head to the right. Arms and legs are usually spread out like a starfish when I have the room though.
    Same here
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    96
    On my back untill I start to snore then my wife wakes me up and makes me turn on my side.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Originally posted by vito
    . . . talkfreelance, it's actually a topic worthy of discussion, provided we inject some useful information. Hey, maybe the article I just referenced will convince Aussie Bob to get off his tummy and into a better position.
    I'm always up for new positions.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,659
    I rotate. A lot.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Orpington, Kent, UK
    Posts
    21
    I sleep on my front, legs akimbo and with my arms beetween my two pillows supporting my head.

    With regards to the article Vito posted, If i'm relaxed enough to sleep on my back (Very rare!) i often end up having a better nights sleep and feel much more refreshed in the morning.

    Go figure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •