* New PC - Need MAJOR Help

Hey guys,

I'm currently over at a buddies house and we're having one hell of a time loading up his new PC.

I'm currently running on his new PC which has only the network drivers loaded up. It seems whenever we load anything else (sound, video, etc) Windows then stops responding (freezes) at the boot screen.

I guess I'm hoping someone can give me an easy fix

System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
    1.00GB RAM
    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    BFG GeForce 7800GT
    80GB SATA HDD
    Onboard sound and LAN
    Windows XP Pro (not yet updated)

Once we initially load windows, everything seems fine. During the installation of the mobo, sound, lan and video drives, one of them will then seem to freeze up the system. The frustrating thing is the freezing happens randomly it seems.

I figured at first it was the sound, but now I can get sound to run but the system then freezes after video driver install.

lol, sorry for the long post. I'm lost!

Run memtest86. Search google for it. Make sure you run atleast until it reaches 100%, then boot up into windows, download Prime95(www.mersenne.org) and stress test your computer for about an hour. The only acceptable number of errors is 0.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

I'm assuming you figure this is some form of hardware problem?

usually freezing means HW problem, mostly memory
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I tried swapping out both sticks of memory and everything seemed fine. My friend is going to get it into the shop come Monday.

Originally posted by Mekhu
    I'm assuming you figure this is some form of hardware problem?
    Yes, this should always be the first thing when purchasing/building a new computer is to run memtest86 and prime95 for ~24-48 hours, atleast. That way, it insures your computer is very stable.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Sounds to me like it could also be a device conflict.

Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager. If you see any exclamation points, chances are there is an IRQ conflict. Just manually change the IRQ (you'll want to do a little bit of research on this first, so Google it), and that might do the trick.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com