* Remote backup solution - overselling

Hi,

One of my remote backup server only have 1G space left and rejecting my 2G worth of full-backup while I have 100G plan ( used half of it and 50G left).

The 1G should be enough if I didn't have this big amount backup.
    Still, it seems like they are overselling hopping nobody use full capacity they assigned. When someone complain, add some more space? I don't know how they setup the server so I'm not sure.

The trouble is they didn't reply to my trouble ticket yet. General review in here on this company was quick respond.

So check your backup server wether they have enough space left for you. OW your automatic backup might fail without notice if you didn't activate monitoring for your backup.

If backup server is rsync through ssh,
    ssh [username]@[server] du -h
    will show the diskusage..

What company provides this backup solution?

Originally posted by shockuk
    What company provides this backup solution?
    I believe it's us To the OP, we received your ticket (on a Saturday morning), and are looking in to your problem. We have plenty of space available, and will track down the actual cause of your problem. Feel free to email [email protected] with any questions.

Just to reiterate what the OP has recommended, you should always double-check that your backups are running properly, regardless of your provider. I have seen many cases in the past where backups were not completing properly for a number of reasons, even though they may have appeared to.
    Last edited by bqinternet; 10-22-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Didn't meant to point out one company.
    Actually I love this company. The space is sooo cheap comapre to my other provider.

Just want to warn people to check the actual backup space.
    I was almost let my server provider to reload OS without latest backup. Lucky I got e-mail warning for backup failure.

Sometime backup is priceless, so double chek your back....
    Last edited by meknow; 10-22-2005 at 01:59 PM.

How does one check if the backup has successfully completed??

Edit: just checked the free space on server

df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/amrd0s2d 1.9T 1.9T 8.7G 100% /usr/home

No wonder the rsync process is always running when I type ps x
    is it because it didn't complete due to insufficient free space?

Last edited by HD Fanatic; 10-22-2005 at 03:29 PM.

Originally posted by ANewDay
    No wonder the rsync process is always running when I type ps x
    is it because it didn't complete due to insufficient free space?
    No, but we've seen this on a lot of operating systems. For some reason, either Rsync doesn't exit when it is done running, or OpenSSH keeps the connection open. In either case, it doesn't cause any harm.

The best way to check if your backups are running is to go into your backup space with FTP and look at some of your files.

Looking at the characteristics of the above df command, it looks like you're one of our customers too On our particular platform, the df command is not a reliable way to judge free space on the storage system, as there's a volume manager system that shifts free space around as needed. In fact, we're considering replacing the df command with a message that explains it to avoid confusion.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

rsync has dry run optin. In your back up script, after rsync finished ( with error or not, the error does not give that much in my case ), just rsync dry run which report any remaininging file or corrupt file without actually transfering the file. If you have any file reported, then the backup was failed.

When there was problem, keep running rsync over and over again usually go nowhere until you find the problem and fix it.

[saw bqinternet post submitted at the same time so add this line]

So basically on your server df will not help me to decide how much space left? Is there way to check how much physical space left for me in this case?

My backup was failed and the error was out of space. So I guess there was some malfunction in your filemanagement system and usually does not happen.

Now the final question, based on your explanation....
    I should not worry about out of space systuation even though df tell me there is not enough space on the system. And go ahead with backup. Am I right?

Thank you.
    Last edited by meknow; 10-22-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Originally posted by meknow
    So basically on your server df will not help me to decide how much space left? Is there way to check how much physical space left for me in this case?
    That is correct. With our system, you can check your usage and remaining space through the control panel system, which is mentioned in your original welcome email.

In your particular case earlier today, there was a problem with the volume management system, which reported an out of space error. If you do see any types of errors like that, you should most certainly email support to ask about it.

To stay on top of your backups, I recommend looking at your backup script's output periodically to look for any show-stopping errors, and then also to log in to your account with FTP to see what is there.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

Hey BQ, I took a look at your site and wow do you guys have low prices. From the network status page it looks like you guys are running off of one server, and someone elses command output looks like you guys are running on 1.9TB of HD space. Assuming you guys had 19 100GB clients for 20/mo ea I think it was, thats like 380/mo. Maybe you oversell and have say 30 clients for 600/mo. Thats one expensive server, and bandwidth cant be cheap for all of those accounts always updating data and pulling data. Sorry if I am putting you on the spot but that looks a bit tight for making good profit o_O. Im sure you guys have your ways but it looks kind of tight..Am I very wrong? If you dont want to get into that with me I understand as well.

EDIT: Do you host all of the shared hosting sites on the same server? If so I guess that definately helps things

Oy... I was hoping to spend Saturday doing something fun, rather than keeping an eye on this thead

Originally posted by Netriox
    From the network status page it looks like you guys are running off of one server, and someone elses command output looks like you guys are running on 1.9TB of HD space.
    The network status page shows the uptime of our web server. We have several backup servers, all with about 5TB of space each.

Assuming you guys had 19 100GB clients for 20/mo ea I think it was, thats like 380/mo. Maybe you oversell and have say 30 clients for 600/mo.
    I can assure you, we have a lot more than 19 100GB clients spread out over a number of large storage systems

EDIT: Do you host all of the shared hosting sites on the same server? If so I guess that definately helps things
    We no longer actively sell web hosting services, and have been out of the web hosting market for over a year. We do however continue to support our existing clients.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation

Ah ok. I knew there must have been something I was missing, because I was thinking to myself and it just didnt work out well .

BTW, what does 'On-the-fly compression' mean?

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    BTW, what does 'On-the-fly compression' mean?
    When Rsync transfers data over the network, it compresses the data.