managed hosting forum

I saw we got a new forum earlier today.

What's up with that?

Do we really need it?

discuss.

My personal opinion is that it is a bit of a waste. Managed hosting can fit perfectly fine under Dedictated Hosting.

The forum is also their in the premium member seciton (or at least it was a few months back) in which case it had almost no replies either.

I can see it now...

Full page of:

Favorite managed provider?
    Who's the best managed provider?
    Where should I get a managed server from?
    Layered Tech Management sux0rs!

etc...

But as always, that's just my two cents
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I was going to ask where you found this forum as I don't see it. Then I looked in forum jump and found it there

I personally don't see the need for such a forum.
    Have you Floble'd today?

justadollarhostin is right imho, it would just end up promoting useless threads. We already have forums for discussing server providers and for general management.. IMHO WHT is starting to have too many forums. It's one thing that turned me off about SitePoint before they redid the main page--too many forums, so it looked daunting.

Also considering that Jan didn't even know the forum was there....

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    I was going to ask where you found this forum as I don't see it. Then I looked in forum jump and found it there
    And I assumed that it was the Leaders who have decided there was a need for the forum...

I'm guessing that it was the "Managed Hosting" forum that was restricted to the "Premium Members" ('cuz of the age of the threads and how long it has been in the Forum drop down). I wonder if one of the mods was making a permissions change and opened it up by mistake. It's not a big deal though, just another empty forum to ignore .
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

Yeah, there's some shennagins doing on there. I noticed the new forum catagory and was somewhat surprised, but figured the powers_that_be_know what they're doing.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by banner
    I'm guessing that it was the "Managed Hosting" forum that was restricted to the "Premium Members" . . .
    That be the one.

Just setting it up here. If it gets busy, it gets busy. If it doesn't, we move threads into other forums.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    That be the one.

Just setting it up here. If it gets busy, it gets busy. If it doesn't, we move threads into other forums.
    Sounds good
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    That be the one.

I'm sure that it'll get busy, this is WHT; too many users here for it not to get a lot posts. I really don't see the need for it, it fits easily under the category of dedicated servers. All the new forum section is going to do is split the posts in "Dedicated Servers".
    SHAW NETWORKS Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans 24/7/365 Live Technical Support
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

And again here everyone assuming managed hosting refers exclusivly to dedicated servers...

Welcome to WHT I guess...

EDIT: Maybe the forum needs a sticky to define what sort of 'managed' is intended there.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs