Advice Needed!!!

Ok I Have A Forum And We Were Previously On 3 Shared Servers And Got Suspended From All Of Them For "eating Up Cpu Resources/mysql Connections"...we Transfered To Ipowerweb.com To A 70/month Unmanaged Server And Alot Of Downtime Has Already Occured And On Top Of That The Server Software They Use Are Very Outdated...so Now I Am Planning To Move Yet Again, My Site Doesnt Even Take 25% Of The Bandwidth or the HD space These Dedicated Servers Are Selling For Really High Prices (rackspace 400/month), Its Just The Forum Scripts And Mysql For The Forum Thats Eating Up The Cpu Resource Thats The Problem...are Resellers People Who Get A Dedicated Server And Sell Space? If It Is I Really Dont Want My Buisness To Go That Route...thanks For Any Advice/referrals/etc In Advance (MY PRICE RANGE IS 0-100/MONTH)

If you like un-managed, although it seems you need managed, layeredtech.com is your best bet. they have many servers under $100 a month

you may want to get a cheap LT server, and then hire a company such as PlatinumServerManagement.com to keep your server up to date and fix it when needed.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

thanks to you ^

how do i install mysql?
    Last edited by WACK; 10-21-2005 at 07:00 PM.

If you get a box from a company such as LT Apache, mysql, FTP and everything will be installed for you.

almost all providers will install it for you.

I would recommend finding a box at an unmanaged place then hiring and administrator such as Touchsupport to admin your server for you.

It will cost you less than a full management solution and leave your options open.

Originally posted by ImageTutorials
    If you get a box from a company such as LT Apache, mysql, FTP and everything will be installed for you.

almost all providers will install it for you.
    illl i-m u

Sorry, a server can also be known as a box. I suggest getting cpanel if you need it, unless you simply need to make a mysql DB and install a board one-time.

CentOS seems to be the usualy choice for a good, stable, free OS.

If it's a bare machine you want (i.e. no control panel), then I would totally recommend Debian.

Installing mysql on debian is extremely simple, i'll even show you how to do it:

apt-get install mysql-server

You can't get any easier than that Ofcourse configuring mysql is another matter, but it's still a simple task that won't take too long to "get to grips with" if you search WHT+Google for some help.

Im Having.......Trouble Reading, What U Typed, Please..... Use Punctuation And, Logically Organized Sentences In, The Future (THANKS!)
    Last edited by bqinternet; 10-22-2005 at 01:42 PM.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***