Co-Lo Newbie - Switch Suggestion

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to the Co-Location world, and I am thinking of Co-Locating about 48 servers...

Can someone suggest a reliable switch with SNMP, about 48 ports, rate limiting on a per port basis (ie. set one port to 10Mbit, a different one to 3Mbit, another one to 48mbit, etc.) and the possibility to VLAN each server? (Is this at the switch level?)

I look forward to your suggestions for this Co-Location newbie.

Steve

Well, 2x24-port switches are almost always going to be cheaper than 1x48-port switch. That's the route I would recommend. For rate limiting, a Cisco 2950 or two would do fine in your situation. HP also makes some excellent ProCurve switches that are similar to the Cisco switches, but often cheaper on eBay since fewer people know about them. I don't have the exact model number of the HP switch that works like the 2950, but it should be easily searchable.

If you don't need such granular rate-limiting, or you have some servers that don't need it, a Cisco 2924 is a cheaper alternative to the 2950. The 2950 has more memory for VLANs, as well, but if you have 12-23 servers that just need simple VLANs and 10Mbit or 100Mbit connectivity, you can save some money by cross-connecting a 24-port 2924 to a 24-port 2950 and using the 2950 for the uplink.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Thanks for your informative response Erica.

I have found a few Cisco Catalyst 2950's on eBay and they look like they would do the job... do they support rate limiting of arbitrary amounts? The standard 10Mbit and 100Mbit won't suit my needs for this project.

I also found a HP Procurve 2324 24-port 10/100 switch (J4818A) on eBay, I can't find much information on this. Would this switch be suitable for my needs?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

The Cisco 2950 supports rate limiting at a granularity of 1Mbit. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...4c9.html#93444 for details. Note that it appears to only set it for inbound and not outbound.

As far as the HP switches go, I'm not sure, but it's probably searchable via Google.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Very few ethernet devices support outbound rate limiting.....
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

Cisco 3550/3560/3750 should support all the layer2 and layer3 features you'll need and come in 48 port models.

Originally posted by ServerDave
    Cisco 3550/3560/3750 should support all the layer2 and layer3 features you'll need and come in 48 port models.

make sure you review the image type on the switch, ie the SMI image doesn't support all of the L3 features that the EMI image does.

Originally posted by vantage255
    Very few ethernet devices support outbound rate limiting.....
    What do you mean by outbound? Outbound from the server perspective is inbound on the switch perpesctive and vice versa. So can you clarify?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)