Thumbs down Websitesource.com

hello, i ordered the All-In-One package and signed up and was happy about the extras they provide for a low price! my friend told me about them, he is happy with it.

but.. after i signed up, I got sent a email saying i had to fill in a another TXT file with ALOT of details involved, then had to fax or email back.

----------

8) Credit card issuing bank phone number:

__________________________________________MM/DD/YY________________

10) Xerox copy of credit card (front and back), must be legible.
    11) Xerox copy of cardholder's pictured identification.

----------

that was not necessary, not at all, thats beyond the call of verification and going into the area of privacy infringement.

anyone else unhappy with the sign up process?

This is not privacy infringement, but a normal way for the company to protect itself against fraud. Their payment system probably found your credit card to be suspicious at some level. It happens, for example, due to certain geographical locations, non-matching billing information, or other reasons.

Since your friend likes the experience with them, and if you want to stay with the company, you can always ask them about it.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Hi,

As already outlined above, this is usually requested if your data appears possibly fraudulent, by requesting this information from the client the hosting company can protect itself against chargeback’s.

I do however suggest you do not send a photocopy of the full credit card, neither the front nor the back. If they require this information just send the last four digits of the card, otherwise your card can be used elsewhere.

If you personally are not comfortable sending the information they have requested, send an e-mail and confirm what you are happy sending them.

Best of luck
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

I realise that they can ask me security questions, to prove my identity as the cardholder, but that seemed very off, photocopies of the card and handwritten signatures? no way I would ever give that, I repiled and subseqently cancelled, saying i was not going to provide them that information.

thanks for your understanding in this matter forum dudes.

If you are in another country this is needed to cut down on fraud.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Originally posted by Kaspanova
    I'm in London, UK.
    Correct me if I am wrong but Visa for sure does not approve of this method of verification and will close down the account of companies requiring this.

This is a golden opportunity for identity theft and that is why Visa have introduced verified by visa.

If you are a host and you are making demands like this for verification you may find yourself in trouble with the card companies if reported to visa or mastercard.

Simon

you are very right, yes.

http://www.lowcostnames.co.uk/images...ed_by_visa.gif

that gives buyers confidence. Having all those forms of identification, personally, if i had been sent those, thats a ticket to a new top spec pc. obviously i don't commit credit card fraud, but having the CCV number, start/expiry date, a handwritten signature, a photo of ID and photocopies of the card, is just asking for trouble.

excuse my bluntness

I recall having an account with WSS, and they required me to send copies of my cc by fax or snail mail. Which I did.
    As it turned out, their support was crap so I later cancelled the account. So much trouble wasted.....
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Most web hosting companies request that sort of information if they believe the order to be fraudulent. If your friend has had a good experience with them, and they meet all of your requirements, I do not see the harm in sending that information.

Not all companies do this, but most will ask you, others would just cancel & delete the order if they believed the order to be fraudulent.

Heya,

I have been with them for some time now and I'm not really happy with them.. I had the same problem with you. I'm changing now to DreamHost since i have seen a lot of positive reviews about them plus they have same price and seem better..

Cya,
    Thomas