Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1u server first time buiding a rackmount

1u server first time buiding a rackmount, i will be moving a couple of my shared accts. over to a colo box, plus the company's dedic box to this 1u server i got the case "Antec 1U Rackmount Case 1U26ATX250" now i need a mobo to go in it, was looking through the forum seen a lot of talk about supermicro, but i dont have much of a budget so if i could find a intel 478, mobo prescott ready, that way i could use compoents i already have all i need is a mobo and she up and running

thx for all the help

sorry 4 tha noobie questions, we all gotta start some where

boy, you can be newbie in building 1U server. But at least, write your sentences properly. Use proper puctuations and sentences structure. You are saying all these in one sentence, and that's hard to read. I would suggest you rewrite this and perhaps somebody will be more than willing to help you.

Good luck.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Ya i could not understand this either...
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

I will be building my first 1u server. I currently have a client with a dedicated server who is looking into co-locationing a server. I also have a few other clients with shared accounts, plus a couple of personal sites. I bought a "Antec 1U Rackmount Case 1U26ATX250" to use as my first rackmount server. Now i need a motherboard for the unit. I would like to use a intel prescott (478) motherboard, because I already have extra components that i could use. I don't have a budget i'm doing this with my own money, this isn't a company project.

I heard supermicro is a really good server motherboard maker.
    Last edited by kruss; 10-21-2005 at 02:31 PM.

with all that said I want to move everyone over to a colo server. Mostly because the hosting company doesn't provide the software I want on there managed solutions. If I can make my own colo server then I can pick up the company's websites, plus a couple of shared sites, and still have room for a few personal sites.

what I need is a few suggestions for a motherboard that will fit into the unit (the antec mentioned above) .

thank you
    Last edited by kruss; 10-21-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Most people here will tell you just don't try it. Personally, I completely disagree (how else are you going to learn?), but be willing to make mistakes and pay the consequences. You will buy parts that don't fit and parts that break, but learn by experience. It will be more costly than you expected.

I would definitely suggest going with a Tyan or Supermicro motherboard. Those are built for servers and will handle it much better than normal desktop servers...but you pay for it. If you don't have the budget, then just try a normal motherboard. Everyone has different opinions about different motherboards - chaintech has worked well for me so far, but that is by far not the only nor the best motherboard. A quick note that isn't often said, I (and a few other people) have run into problems installing Linux on a motherboard with a VIA chipset. Finally, make sure you have onboard video on whatever motherboard you buy if you are doing a 1U server.

Cooling: In a 1U, that will be your biggest issue. Watch that you position everything to allow good ventalation.

There are other common sense issues....be sure you have enough RAM, etc., but if you're brave enough to attempt your own 1U colo, hopefully you know this stuff.

Last of all....I am by no means the expert here at WHT. Listen to all the other guys more =) Hope I helped a little!
    http://www.colehosting.com - Custom web development
    http://www.backupbus.com - Instant backups with rsync, FTP, VPN, etc.

Oh yes, one more thing. Most motherboards will fit, but you will need to buy a low profile fan for whatever CPU that you buy. You can buy them from a lot of places, but off the top of my head I know newegg.com has them (search for 1U fan)
    http://www.colehosting.com - Custom web development
    http://www.backupbus.com - Instant backups with rsync, FTP, VPN, etc.

If your just looking for a standard MB then get Chaintech MPM800-3 P4 Prescott/PM800/FSB800/DDR400/SATA/A&V&L/MATX Motherboard if your looking for better quality then go with a supermicro or tyan.

kruss, you need to tell us what else components, other than Antec 1U case, you already have or intent to buy so that we can give you motherboard advice accordingly and wisely.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

An ATX motherboard will fit in this case. Make sure it has onboard video and at least 1 onboard LAN port. You will have to purchase a 3rd party CPU cooler. That way you don't use up your 1 PCI riser card right off the bat.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

One main concern is the verticle audio ports on most boards. There are a select FEW desktop-type boards that still have horizontal audio.

I'd suggest the following in best performance to least :

DFI PS85-BL (Intel 865 chipset, video, realtek 8100C lan, sata ports, 4 x ddr dimms)

Chaintech MPM800-3 (Via PM800 chipset - horrid..., video, realtek 8100C lan, sata ports, 2 x ddr dimms)

You can spend roughly $150 or so on an MSI or Intel grade server board (dual lan, etc) which will get you by on a cheaper server-grade board. Or you can go with the ~$160-250 Tyan/Supermicro boards. One note of concern again is some Tyan/Supermicro boards have 24 + 4 pin power connectors. They are backwards compatible to a 20 + 4 pin connector, however to get around it, you usually have to bump the wattage on your power supply to 300W or more from my experience.

MSI has a decent board, the 9149 MASTER LRM. It should handle everything you want it to, and its a true server-grade board.

And the very last note. DO NOT use any heat sinks with FANS on them. Always ALWAYS use blower fans. Preferably the ones from Dynatron. Otherwise its a lost cause.
    █ Brian Wing | RackmountsEtc™
    www.rackmountsetc.com - sales@rackmountsetc.com - 619-258-0573
    █ Custom built rackmount server systems from Atom to Sandybridge
    █ Custom Server Solutions to suit your needs™

First let me thank you all, for your help.

The other components I spoke of was a P4 Prescot 3gig, 800 fsb and some ddr 400 ram, I dont know if it will fit, gotta get a mobo first to try. I did some trying over the weekend but the onboard sound got in the way so all my socket A boards are out.

As for the cpu cooler, did you say to just get a heatsink only. Not to use one with a fan mounted on it. I've seen a few places who sale low profile heatsink/fan units.

So just really need a p4 mobo for around 100$ and I think that will do it.
    Also I was thinking of running MS web server 2k3 anyone had much luck with this.

thanks again

Ok so I had a chance to look at the DFI PS85-BL mobo, I like it a little more then the VIA based board, I've seen the numbers were intel chipsets seem to work a little better then VIA does with Intel procs. Do you think it would be with the extra 35$ for the DFI over the ChainTech board...

thx

chaintech?

i've had too many of them fail in desktops... stay away!

as the others said, supermicro or tyan boards... i love the tyan boards, have done ever since the tiger
    Goscomb Technologies Limited - www.goscomb.net / AS39326
    E: sales@goscomb.net P: +44 (0) 203 129 4400 F: +44 (0) 203 129 4410
    IP Transit :: Colocation :: Dedicated Servers :: Leased Lines :: DSL
    Registered in England and Wales No. 05672987 - VAT Registration No. 853 7954 80

Kruss,
    About the heat sink. Its the http://www.dynatron-corp.com/product...odel.asp?id=69

Those are by far the best heat sinks for pentium 4's in 1U rackmounts.

It is definitely worth going DFI over the chaintechs. It'll save you lots of headaches.

I think I will order the DFI board when i get home from work tonight. As for heat sink have you used them in the past and are speaking from exp.

In any event thanks for all your help.

ok, so all my parts are in, I ordered the dfi board and the hsf combo from dynatron, I really hope it just goes together w/o to much trouble.

Also i bought 1 of thoses anti-static mats for my workbench.

Any last pointers anyone.

again thx 4 all the help

in a lil bit i'll let u know how its running

just make sure all the cables are routed properly to avoid cutting off airflow!
    Goscomb Technologies Limited - www.goscomb.net / AS39326
    E: sales@goscomb.net P: +44 (0) 203 129 4400 F: +44 (0) 203 129 4410
    IP Transit :: Colocation :: Dedicated Servers :: Leased Lines :: DSL
    Registered in England and Wales No. 05672987 - VAT Registration No. 853 7954 80

wow
    that hsf from dynatron sux
    i screwed it down to the stoppers, posted the board to the bios, temp read out was 199f, i cut the power looked over the board and one of the scews had ripped out of the hole, i guess the springs were to much for the cheap plastic plate.
    its a good thing i got it from newegg, they are really good with there RMAs.

Did you put down thermal paste? Also, plastic plate? All the backplates Ive seen are all metal.

arctic silver 5,

after i took it apart i handed it to one of my co workers to look at under a mag light and he said it look like platic inside the screw holes.but i checked it again the plate is matal, i guess if want something done right you should do it your self, but i am the one who put it together, and i dont believe i cross threaded it, when i screwed it down i didnt feel the resistence you get when you cross thread something. maybe i just got a bad unit.

owell RMA here i come.

Quote Originally Posted by kruss
    arctic silver 5,

after i took it apart i handed it to one of my co workers to look at under a mag light and he said it look like platic inside the screw holes.but i checked it again the plate is matal, i guess if want something done right you should do it your self, but i am the one who put it together, and i dont believe i cross threaded it, when i screwed it down i didnt feel the resistence you get when you cross thread something. maybe i just got a bad unit.

owell RMA here i come.
    you are not alone!

as experiences as we are in mounting dyantron stuffs all day long, recently we had quite a few dynatron A51/A71 (for socket 754/939/940) spring-screws ripped off the mounting plate underneath the motherboard. it seems to be either a poor design or quality-control issues from dynatron, not really just some here-n-there isolated incidents ....
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Wow, I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Let me know how the RMA goes, I have killed 2 thus far.

NewEgg is pretty good about there RMA's, they gave me a full replacement value, but that didn't include the original shipping or the shipping when i had to send it back. So now i'm out a little more then ten bucks, and i dont have a 1u HSF. The DFI mobo works good in another case and HSF i had sitting around.

Can someone point me to a good thread on P4 running temps, what is to hot, normal running an all that good jazz....
    thx

I guess i will be buying another one of dyantron HSF, if this one works out good. Then I may buy more from the company if not then no more from me or my clients.

Again I want to say thanks for all the great help that is provided here.
    thankz

Intel has a list of temp specs for all their CPU's. Google or digging around intels site will turn it up.

Be sure to burn in the server well before shipping it off to colo. I've seen customers build boxes, make sure they boot, then ship them off only to find they had bad ram or some other component once they started running the machine under load.

Id have gone for a different choice of motherboard, but otherwise, good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast