Thread: File Managment

File Managment

I am looking for a filemanager software for my website where users can upload and download files and folders kind of like having there own hard drive online, alot like the sofware xdrive.com uses. Anyone know anything similar? There are alot of filemanagers with file uploads only but directory upload is a major feature needed and thats what problems we are having now. Thanks! ( or looking for soemeone who can make one)

Why not just use FTP? It will allow everything that you are talking about.

Originally posted by Froggy
    Why not just use FTP? It will allow everything that you are talking about.
    If you can't provide what gcool12 asked, why do you bother replying?

gcool12, I don't know about upoading the entire directories since you can choose only files from HTML's file field.
    One thing I can think of right now is archiving the directory, sending the archive to the server and unpacking it or do multiple file uploads.

The only file management script I can remember at this time is Invision File Manager which hasn't been available for a while now..
    I would suggest searching hotscripts, but I presume you allready did that. But until someone provides the exact name of the script you should try out, you might try using google/hotscripts.

Good luck with the script.

If you can't provide what gcool12 asked
    Haven't I asked you more than once to please not respond to my posts?

why do you bother replying?
    The same reason you do...I bet. You can easily write an applet that commicates with the server via FTP, this would allow everything that he wants and could easily be part of his "website". Although the applet would have to be trusted in order to have read access to files on the users computer. There are other ways to use a FTP server to do this sort of thing to....your lack of imagination is not my problem.

Please don't respond....

You can easily write an applet that commicates with the server via FTP, this would allow everything that he wants and could easily be part of his "website". Although the applet would have to be trusted in order to have read access to files on the users computer.
    Why don't you suggest the exact name of software then?

Haven't I asked you more than once to please not respond to my posts?
    Grow up. And try to be on topic for change. Thank you.

Also, my apologies gcool12, I haven't read that you mentioned "software". I immedeately thought of regular scripts. Also, an applet would serve good, as Froggy mentioned. Unfortunately, I know nothing about names of software that do such things.
    Last edited by maxymizer; 10-22-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Re: File Managment

Originally posted by gcool12
    I am looking for a filemanager software for my website where users can upload and download files and folders kind of like having there own hard drive online, alot like the sofware xdrive.com uses. Anyone know anything similar? There are alot of filemanagers with file uploads only but directory upload is a major feature needed and thats what problems we are having now. Thanks! ( or looking for soemeone who can make one)
    why not have .zip upload instead of directory upload.

Re: Re: File Managment

Originally posted by maddudemike
    why not have .zip upload instead of directory upload.
    Why don't you read what others wrote at this topic? It was allready suggested.
    Thanks for paying attention.

Calm down maxymizer, it's just the internet.

Here's a link I found from a quick Google search which may help you find something: http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...pload_Systems/

I have vague memory of seeing plugin for FireFox allowing Drag&Drop directory upload ... I'm not very sure, though.

Also, many Filemanagers that runs on your machine (including Explorer/Konquror/NC/MC), allows uploading files/directories (via FTP).

If not, it's not difficult to write a script to use wget or other utilities
    to send all files in given directory one by one, via HTTP upload.

Hello,

The filemanager which is part of webmin can be installed without having to use all of webmin

Luxore
    Sunwave Communications
    http://www.sunwave.com/
    Safety - Service - Economy

Anyone else?

Not sure why there are two threads about this, but this seems to be the busy one.

It does involve FTP as mentioned above, but if configured correctly the FTP server would be a great part of the solution allowing for easy management of user accounts and root directories etc. Users could also use FTP if you wanted them too (if not restrict FTP to localhost only)
    I recently installed http://www.net2ftp.com/ and I've been pretty impressed. So users can login through the web and access all their files etc. It uses the php ftp functions but is great.

yeah i was postin in multiple forums and accidently posted twice, it was late lol

Maybe there are something that uses WebDAV, ActiveScript, or Ajax to achieve it.
    Personally, I don't like any of these (for security reason).

Other tahn that, I don't know if you can do it without installing a program on the client side.