Resellers would you pay for a third party verified review site?

Question:
    Would you as a reseller / hosting company pay to have a third party group run a personalize site full of independently verified reviews on your company?

What we would do:
    We would very strictly check every review submitted by users of that company and verify they are real people and that their experiences are real both negative and positive. The host would be required to post a link or icon to us on their pages where they want as long as its public and obvious to viewing. To give customers a chance to review.

What the host would get out of it:
    They would get a third party to verify their quality and that their reviews are real, builds validity and good for conversions on sales. Especially as the site would show our stringent rules and so on.

What the consumer gets:
    A trusted site that is posting real reviews of the company they are looking at and by our guarantee and a long list of what we are going by to verify the reviews are real.

So you would link to users to see reviews and submit them just for your company at: YourCompany.xxx.com or xxx.com/YourCompany, which would be personalized of course.

Me and a partner are almost done with the system and site but trying to gauge interest and would appreciate your feedback on any aspect.

Sounds like a good idea as they're truly unbiased and I see you already got couple of these hostreview domains registered, hope you do well with it. Good luck!
    █• CirtexHosting • Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS • Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! • I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by Hoobastank68
    Sounds like a good idea as they're truly unbiased and I see you already got couple of these hostreview domains registered, hope you do well with it. Good luck!
    Well those a bit different as those are me getting pissed at people asking for reviews of companies on WHT when they can use the damn search button.

It would be like those but no ads and no inter connectness, just a personal page for each hosting company with just their reviews and links to nothing else except explanations of how we operate for customers and submit a review and so on. A way for small companies to show what they did for people verified by a third party, and so on.

You would need to find some way for a host to be able to integrate the reviews directly on his/her website. Hosting websites are meant to sell a service, adding links that pop open in new windows and could potentially distract a user from the original site is something I would not want to do.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Originally posted by IncognitoNetworks
    You would need to find some way for a host to be able to integrate the reviews directly on his/her website. Hosting websites are meant to sell a service, adding links that pop open in new windows and could potentially distract a user from the original site is something I would not want to do.
    Hi, what we had planned on was the hosting company on their frontpage could have a box or blur with a link to us, say with a logo saying "Third Party Verified Reviews of XYZ Company" or so on and a link to submit reviews and view them. No popups or anything and that is more up to the company on how they want to link to us. So the potential customer would then click to go there and read reviews, how we verify them and who we are and then back to host to buy a hosting plan.

Sounds like an excellent idea. I would've appreciated a site like that a few years ago when I was first learning about web hosting.
    Experience brings wisdom...especially when it comes to web hosting.

Sounds good. Would also be good if the page had things like uptime, server speed etc
    Big Wow Web Hosting
    Cheap and Reliable Shared and Reseller Hosting
    •99.9% Uptime •MailScanner •Free Setup and Sitebuilder •Plesk, cPanel or DirectAdmin
    •Fast, Secure Servers •Great Free Extras •100% White Label

Originally posted by tims15
    Sounds good. Would also be good if the page had things like uptime, server speed etc
    Verified by a third party?

We should launch it in a week or so and we will see how it goes, if it goes well we can add a lot more and a CP so the host can skin / alter color schemes besides just uploading a logo.

Plus we will see if bigger companies want to offer it to their resellers as a marketing tool, helps a ton on conversions if you can show people use you and like you.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Hi

How you make your income?

Selling ad space ?

<Edit>

OOPS should have checked your links first

Reseller review looks like a great site but my concern is the advertising for other hosts

eg I went to site5reviews and a big ad came up for gator at the top of the page

Not sure how good it is to have someone click on a link on your own site and be taken to yours with ads for all your competitors everywhere
    Last edited by YLH - Angus; 10-21-2005 at 11:48 PM.
    WHM/CPanel, Sub Reseller, Fantastico, Reseller Plan Experts
    Hosting Experience since 1998
    - because we seriously care !
    Your Local Host

It sounds like a cross between Consumer Reports ratings and the Good Housekeeping seal of approval. Like them, wouldn't you have to actually become a customer in order to verify the truthfulness of their claims and quality of their service? To do this without bias, the host would have to be oblivious to your presense as a reviewer. You'll spend a lot of time and money on this.

Also, how many times have I signed up for hosting and the service was great for a while, but then got to be awful. How are you going to keep your ratings current?

Lastly, as a consumer why should I take your word for it, anymore than the reseller themselves? As a reseller, the only people whose opinions I value are my customers. As long as they are happy, I really don't care what anyone else thinks or how my services & prices compare to the masses of other resellers.

I mean no offense. I would not value an approval seal from such a site any more than the one the Better Business Bureau offers (and that can be had by almost anyone who wants to pay for it).

No, I would not pay for this, personally. If it were free for the host, then perhaps...
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

It would depend on the "street" credability you manager to maintain. If the public feels the results are trustworth then It would be worth it to me, If they have doubts about your results then I would not buy... I think its a matter of how well you pull it off.

All the best of Luck...
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

Originally posted by YLH - Angus
    Hi

How you make your income?

Selling ad space ?

<Edit>
    Oh no, there would be no ads or any links off the site except to the host, sorry if this wasn't clear but the host would be a small monthly fee for this site based on the number of reviews they wanted. So like $15.00 bucks for a certain number of reviews.

Originally posted by doppess
    Lastly, as a consumer why should I take your word for it, anymore than the reseller themselves? As a reseller, the only people whose opinions I value are my customers. As long as they are happy, I really don't care what anyone else thinks or how my services & prices compare to the masses of other resellers.

I mean no offense. I would not value an approval seal from such a site any more than the one the Better Business Bureau offers (and that can be had by almost anyone who wants to pay for it). [/B]
    That is the entire point, we will be designing the site and there will be a lot of documentation on how we conduct the audit, and why were there, of course if people don't believe that we have failed but I think we will be able to show we are. I'm not sure what you mean by masses of other resellers, this is mostly something you display a large icon to on your site so that you can show your perspective customers that you do a good job and that that is verified by a third party (us), it should therefore increase your customer conversions making advertising more worthwhile and for the customer give them a chance to see what other people have to say about your service in a trusted atmosphere and where they can leave a review after using your services.

On keeping it up to date:
    Well they would be kept current as people submitted reviews, there is a vested interest in the host having reviews there so that shouldn't be a problem.

Why are you limiting to Reseller companies?

Frankly, i dont think many people would pay. There are hosting sites doing that already for free like hostsearch.com.

Unless you establish very strong trust, I would not rely on your reviews as a costumer who is seeking a reseller company, since reseller companies pay you to get listed.

But i might be wrong of course.

So like $15.00 bucks for a certain number of reviews.
    I am assuming this is number of reviews from the reseller's clients

How would you be sure there were that number of clients that wanted to submit reviews?

What happens if more than that wanted to?

What happens if there aren't any, not becaue they aren't satisfied but because they simply can't be bothered or don't want to go through your thorough verification process

Just playing the devil's advicate to a certain extent here

Also if there are say 10 client who want to submit a review in a month does the payment of say $15 really cover your time if you are to properly verify them

What happens if they don't want to confirm their identity or reveal any information for personal or security reasons

Just thinking out loud about what this would involve for you

WHM/CPanel, Sub Reseller, Fantastico, Reseller Plan Experts
    Hosting Experience since 1998
    - because we seriously care !
    Your Local Host

The more I read, the more confused I am about the concept. I'm a reseller, and I pay you $15 for x-number of reviews from my own clients? And these reviews carry more weight because your company authenticated them?

Originally posted by hcn
    Unless you establish very strong trust, I would not rely on your reviews as a costumer who is seeking a reseller company, since reseller companies pay you to get listed.
    Exactly...

The more I read, the more confused I am about the concept. I'm a reseller, and I pay you $15 for x-number of reviews from my own clients? And these reviews carry more weight because your company authenticated them?
    He actually said that:
    "We would very strictly check every review submitted by users of that company and verify they are real people and that their experiences are real both negative and positive. The host would be required to post a link or icon to us on their pages where they want as long as its public and obvious to viewing. To give customers a chance to review. "

So, I guess the procedure would go like this:

Email your users asking for a review. (Or let them click on the icon and submit it), then send all reviews to his new company.
    He emails the users back asking "for real?" and when they respond he knows the reviews are true.
    Yoy pay 15$ and put his logo on your site.

The only mistake is that he missed his target audience

As a hosting reseller, I would not pay for such a service. If I went to the trouble to gather reviews from my customers, that's as far as it would go. I don't value a third party's endorsement. Other than asking them if what they said was true, I don't know how you could really "verify" it anyway.

As a consumer, I wouldn't be impressed by a third party endorsement either. What reseller in their right mind would send anything other than positive reviews to be verified. It's bought and paid for, just like the BBBonline symbol.

That having been said, I wouldn't be surprised if you DO have a large target market for your service. I see that BBBonline symbol all over the place and that's basically the same kind of thing, except that one costs hundreds of dollars per year. Some people really like to hang an atta-boy on their virtual front door.

Good luck with your new venture.

Originally posted by YLH - Angus
    How would you be sure there were that number of clients that wanted to submit reviews?
    Not sure what you mean there, if the host signed up for the 0 to 10 review plan that means that they have 10 review slots they can fill.

What happens if more than that wanted to?
    They would need to upgrade to the next plan if they needed more or they could leave it.

What happens if there aren't any, not becaue they aren't satisfied but because they simply can't be bothered or don't want to go through your thorough verification process
    Most of the verication is on our end checking IPs, whois etc, they mostly just have to give us their name, domain etc.

Also if there are say 10 client who want to submit a review in a month does the payment of say $15 really cover your time if you are to properly verify them
    Yep we worked out times and so on, business plan is solid.

What happens if they don't want to confirm their identity or reveal any information for personal or security reasons
    [/B]
    Their reviewdon't get posted if they refuse to give us their site or so on.

If you are on a hosting site and see reviews do you trust those? Do you think the hosting company allows negative reviews or that those reviews are even real? I can point you to dozens of sites that post reviews yet our owned by hosting companies.

Originally posted by bwb
    Their reviewdon't get posted if they refuse to give us their site or so on.
    Even if you could see their site, how would you verify that they are hosted where they say they are? Not all hosts use DNS servers with their name in them.

As a hosting reseller, I would not pay for such a service. If I went to the trouble to gather reviews from my customers, that's as far as it would go. I don't value a third party's endorsement. Other than asking them if what they said was true, I don't know how you could really "verify" it anyway.
    Ok, well this is more to help your conversion ratios while giving the customers more reason to trust what they are reading. So they are getting verified real reviews and you are getting someone verifying you are a good service, advertising off searches for when people type in your company name and a lot more I'll go into later.

Once the site is up you can read how its verified.

Originally posted by bwb
    I can point you to dozens of sites that post reviews yet our owned by hosting companies.
    Honestly, can you please share them with us? I would genuinely like to know which ones they are.

Originally posted by mynameweb
    Even if you could see their site, how would you verify that they are hosted where they say they are? Not all hosts use DNS servers with their name in them.
    Well here is a short list of things I've used in past on current sites, true this isn't full proof but its pretty damn good.

1. Check whois, check nameservers obviously to make sure they are using them. Can also do reverse IP lookup and compare data center location. Can also email the host to check, none of these are hard.

2. Check name on whois and compare to company's whois. Look for address state anything to suggest they are similar.

3. Basic background check on person's name on web in hosting companies forums if they have them etc to make sure they arn't family, related to the owner of the company etc.

4. IP of where review submitted, are they in same town as address where is hosting company is, usually something fishy then.

Etc, we have been doing this for a while on other sites we have done and its not that hard.

I would be much more comfortable with the idea of getting the reviewer's username and, without disclosing whether their review was positive or negative, verify with the host that the username is indeed one of their clients, for EACH review received. It seems to me that this would be one of the best ways to do it, while keeping the integrity of the whole operation intact.

Honestly, can you please share them with us? I would genuinely like to know which ones they are.
    Not really wanting to muddle this post with going into that, start a new topic and you will get a lot of them, i saw a post in the web hosting forum a few days ago on one of these top 10 lists. You can also go to google and type in any large company's name and review and you will get a ton of owned or affiliate sites with reviews of sketchy origin. For example go type "1&1 review", now check out all the reviews and tell me if you think they are real.

Please start a new thread if you want to ask other members about this please. I want to keep this thread focused.

I would be much more comfortable with the idea of getting the reviewer's username and, without disclosing whether their review was positive or negative, verify with the host that the username is indeed one of their clients, for EACH review received. It seems to me that this would be one of the best ways to do it, while keeping the integrity of the whole operation intact.
    Ya we can do that.

Originally posted by bwb
    Not really wanting to muddle this post with going into that, start a new topic and you will get a lot of them, i saw a post in the web hosting forum a few days ago on one of these top 10 lists. You can also go to google and type in any large company's name and review and you will get a ton of owned or affiliate sites with reviews of sketchy origin. For example go type "1&1 review", now check out all the reviews and tell me if you think they are real.

Please start a new thread if you want to ask other members about this please. I want to keep this thread focused.
    Can you at least pm me with this list? It doesn't make you sound very honest to say you can give this list, but then refuse to give it.

Can you at least pm me with this list? It doesn't make you sound very honest to say you can give this list, but then refuse to give it.
    Hah, I can point you to dozens of sites as I said, I dont have a list saved up, if you want 10 to 20 examples just do what I said to do on Google. Please start a new thread as I'm sure WHT members can give you a lot more too.

I don't think I'll believe a word you say now. You've quite simply proven yourself to be dishonest. Thank you for your time; I will not be taking part in your site.

I don't think I'll believe a word you say now. You've quite simply proven yourself to be dishonest. Thank you for your time; I will not be taking part in your site.
    Ok sorry you feel that way, thanks for your input.