Need A Reliable Host For Blogs

I 'm looking at setting up several blogs and am based in the uk. Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced host with good technical support.

I'm not very knowledgeable of hosting setup so will probably need telephone support. If I go with a US based host is there a way of getting low cost telephone support?

Would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Peter,

I'm sure most hosts wouldn't have a problem if you called them (or sent in an e-mail) requesting a call back (if they offer phone support).

As for your blog hosting, for blogs - UK vs. US hosting doesn't really matter all that much (due to the fact that often times it's just static content). I'd recommend CartikaHosting.com for that role, they do a fantastic job supporting their clients.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Many thanks. That's helpful advice although I still have a concern about this phone support issue in the US.

You should look for a UK based host if you need telephone technical support. You can try http://www.hostway.co.uk/ they offer free telephone support for UK based users, I cannot recommend them as I have never had any experience with them.

Best of luck with your search

Joomla, Mambo, Wordpress, Wiki, FREE

The host I use offers free blog software that installs with 1 click! They have WordPress (ok) and Joomla (also called Mambo) for FREE! Best of all, use the code 555DEAL when you sign up and get your first 2 years for only $5.55 per month with a free domain name! go to Dreamhost dot com

(Can anyone else beat that?)

Originally posted by seeds_of_light
    The host I use offers free blog software that installs with 1 click! They have WordPress (ok) and Joomla (also called Mambo) for FREE! Best of all, use the code 555DEAL when you sign up and get your first 2 years for only $5.55 per month with a free domain name! go to Dreamhost dot com

Why does that sound so much like an ad?

The software you mentioned is free. Anyone can download and use them. The cool thing you mentioned is the easy way to install them. That can sound very attractive for the average hosting buyer, but IMO it is way better to install such software "by hand". The learning process can prove invaluable. This leads me to another short bit of advice: always have a backup (site and database) that is recent enough for you not to be sorry if you'd have to use it. Always keep the script updated. Many updates fix serious security related vulnerabilities.

If I go with a US based host is there a way of getting low cost telephone support?
    I have one solution for that: VOIP technology. In all, my brother pays some 12 cents per minute to talk with his fiancee in the US (we live in Eastern Europe). VOIP might have its quirks but overall it is a very cost effective solution. He was using some prepaid cards.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 10-20-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Re: Joomla, Mambo, Wordpress, Wiki, FREE

It almost sounds like to me too.

dreamhost offers wordpress as a one click install software, mambo and joomla are technically called something different, they are content management systems. can be used for blods i guess, a good blog software is serendipity as well.
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support

That offer is one of Dreamhost's offers, I recognized the promo code. I've used them before, I like their system, the "One Click Installs" are pretty easy but I perfer to get my hands dirty setting them up myself.
    Red Rock Servers.
    Rock solid hosting at rock bottom prices
    http://redrockservers.net

The DREAMRAILS promo code will save $97 on most plans at Dreamhost.

Originally posted by abnerdesign
    The DREAMRAILS promo code will save $97 on most plans at Dreamhost.
    from the rules
    "You may not post commission, referral or affiliate links anywhere on the forum."

This "promo code" is an afiliate thing. All dreamhost clients can create their own promo codes to allow for upto $97 off setup fees or first payments. They then recieve $20 or so as a referal credit.
    Red Rock Servers.

Originally posted by frdalton
    from the rules
    "You may not post commission, referral or affiliate links anywhere on the forum."

This "promo code" is an afiliate thing. All dreamhost clients can create their own promo codes to allow for upto $97 off setup fees or first payments. They then recieve $20 or so as a referal credit.
    Heh, that's a good idea on DreamHost's part. It gets their clients out there motivated to pimp them. Or, in this case to spam forums for them. :-)

Aloha,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

I don't know if you had some kind of blogging script in mind already?

Most hosts these days offer Fantastico with their accounts, with which you can also install several open source blogs with a few clicks of a button. Check whether the host has that, it's a perfect tool for those who are not used to install scripts manually.

As for the phone support, perhaps it would indeed be better to find a host situated within the UK? Or a host who has fast support in case you urgently need an answer to something.

I hope you'll find what you're looking for, good luck!
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

frdalton,

I apologize, I read that rule and didn't know that 'affiliate links' meant 'affiliate things.'

This promo code gives all of the affiliate comission back to the person signing up as a discount. I'm just trying to save some guys some money. I certainly wish I could have used it when I switched hosts.

Exclamation Re: Joomla, Mambo, Wordpress, Wiki, FREE

A perhaps important clarification is that this promotional offer apparently requires prepayment of the entire two years, which does also incur a waiver of the rather large "setup fee".

Left fuzzy, additionally, is the question of the ownership of this "free domain name".

The arcane art of background-image manufacturing is not for dweebs. Oh, wait, it is!

I'll note that the promotional code that I posted does not require two years of prepayment. Most plans are discounted by $97, reducing the price of one year prepaid to $22.40, including the registration of one domain that is owned by the user.

Either way Dreamhost isn't bad, I've had an account with them for a while, (before I started my own host) I've kept my account with them just so I have a bit of off site storage (actually quite a bit, they tripled my storage a while ago)
    Red Rock Servers.

Thanks to everybody that's contributed to this thread. Very helpful. Dreamhost seem to be a popular choice not only here but also on other sites/forums etc. Maybe it's an affiliate thing!

I'm looking at Dotster at the moment as a possibility because they have a live chat support facility which I have tested and found useful. I think it will end up being a toss up between dotster and dreamhost unless anybody else can come up with any suggestions.

For anybody who picks up on this thread I have been looking through WHT for reviews on Dreamhost who I'm considering going with. I guess the consensus is that their competitive on price, support is very slow but good, they've got 30,000 people signed so their a big company and have a long moneyback guaranteee period although I have'nt read the small print on that one. Might still go with Dotster as they have this livechat support facility which seems pretty instaneous. Good support is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

You're absolutely right about support being very high on your wish list, that's something which is overlooked way too often.

I hope you will soon find which one is the right host for you
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Thanks scarab. I'll come back to the forum and let everybody knows how things work out.

Quote Originally Posted by seeds_of_light

You forgot to mention the $49.95 setup fee for every new account.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbrady
    I 'm looking at setting up several blogs and am based in the uk. Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced host with good technical support.

I'm not very knowledgeable of hosting setup so will probably need telephone support. If I go with a US based host is there a way of getting low cost telephone support?

Would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks
    Most hosting companies should be able to provide you with this as all you need to do is download and install Mambo, WordPress, or similar.

As far as support goes, look for companies << edit >> who offer support on 0800 or 0845 numbers (with an 0207 or similar local number) if you're calling from a mobile, so your call makes use of your talk plan inclusive minutes, as well as fast turn around on email support questions - and of course, have knowledgable staff - not outsourced drones sending boiler plate responses

Some hosting companies have packages which include an "Application Vault" or other bundled software, which could make your installs simpler / easier (one click installs / etc).

<< Signatures are to be set up in your profile >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-28-2005 at 02:36 AM.