Config. of MX record to use external mailserver

hello,
    i am curiose on how to config. the MX record to get mailed all e-mail to my local PC.
    I know i can change the MX record and put my static IP to forward the e-mails. However if i turn Off my local pc i lost all e-mails (they do not bounce back to the server but has ben lost - seems a blackhole) Is there any way to let e-mails on the server (in query/cache) and if i turn On my PC they will be delivered?

Thanks

Am not sure if I understand your issue correctly ..

You want to use 2 mail servers internal & external server and you are using an email client(I.E: Outlook or incredimail )

You Want to forward the incoming message if the internal mail server is down to the external server , then when the internal come back ALL Messages stored on the external server forward again to the internal mail server then you can access it by any email client using POP or IMAP ?

If so , change your domain DNS Zone to be something similar to :

domain.com. MX 0 domain.com.

domain.com. MX 5 external-domain.com.

This called Store & Forward System .

Regards,
    ٍSecurityWay.Net Managed Solutions
    Linux Security,Domain Registration Service,eNom Reseller Account from an ETP.
    http://domains.securityway.net/
    Believe an expert, believe on who has had experience.

ok what i like to do is:
    - redirect all e-mails from my domain directly to my Office PC (on with i configured a mailserver)
    I made this changing the MX record from my domain to the static IP address in my Office PC. And this work and is OK.

now, if i turn OFF my Office PC, the local mailserver, of course, is also turned Off. To prevent all e-mail going lost/bounced back to sender, i need some workaround so that my domain catch all e-mails and store them as long as my Office PC is Offline. When my Office PC is again on-line i like to download all stored e-mails.

How can i config. the record to do this?

Thanks a lot

So , you want to give your PC(local server) The priority ? , just lower the number :

domain.com. MX 0 your-pc.com.

domain.com. MX 5 domain.com.

ALL messages will be redirected to your PC , if your PC is down/off it will be sent to domain.com and stay there till your PC come up .
    ٍSecurityWay.Net Managed Solutions
    Linux Security,Domain Registration Service,eNom Reseller Account from an ETP.
    http://domains.securityway.net/
    Believe an expert, believe on who has had experience.

ok thanks! will try this.

I'm not sure if MX record changes is what you want or not. If you just have a particular e-mail address you are checking and you want to check that mail at two different locations, you may just want to look into using an IMAP client. IMAP does not download messages to your local machine like POP3 does. Say you want to check an e-mail address at both your office computer and your home computer. With an IMAP client at both locations, you would log in and see the messages on the server at work, when you read a message, that message will be marked as read and then when you turn off that computer, messages will still be delivered to the server and when you get home, log in with an IMAP client and you will see any new messages as well as older messages that you saw at the office. Messages that you read at the office will be marked as read while new messages will be marked as unread. All of the messages will be stored on the server, so they will take up server space and you may have to watch the particular quota on your account.

If you make MX record changes, where you have a primary server (lower priority) and a secondary server (higher priority), both of those servers will have to be configured to receive e-mail for that domain. There probably is some desktop application you can run that will perform this function, I don't know of any off-hand, but I'm sure there are some. One thing that caught my attention, you don't typically turn off a computer that is handling mail for a domain. MX records are usually pointing to a server of some type that has the intent of staying on all of the time. Thats why I'm not sure if MX record changes is what you are wanting to do. I think you may just be referring to a particular e-mail address (or a group of e-mail addresses) that you want to check at two or more different locations. If that is the case, I would consider looking into IMAP.

Again, these may be the changes you are looking for, but I just wanted to point out IMAP and the concerns.

SPaReK-- ok thanks for your replay!