off site back up?

Not sure if I have the right forum or not for this question but here it goes...

I have a manged dedicated server with a hosting company that I like. For backup I have a 2nd hard drive that is making daily backups.

But for more security I would like to also make daily off site back ups. Is there a company or service that does this?

Re: off site back up?

Originally posted by ronapa
    Not sure if I have the right forum or not for this question but here it goes...

I have a manged dedicated server with a hosting company that I like. For backup I have a 2nd hard drive that is making daily backups.

But for more security I would like to also make daily off site back ups. Is there a company or service that does this?
    Use the SEARCH tool to see that this has been covered.

A great idea, by the way... wish more folks would take their data seriously and ensure they have up to date offsite backups!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

checkout gnax, they provide backup ftp pretty cheap, support rsync I believe.

Location is key. Once you find the data center, you might want to consider going with a company that specializes in extensive managed services. You can easily google this.

I've done this for a number of my clients.
    The key is to:
    Use rsync (keeps bandwidth costs to a minimum)
    Use cron (the less human intervention, the less mistakes)
    Use a geographically local second server (you'll be able to get 800KBps on a 10Mbps connection.)
    Monitor the bandwidth for a couple of weeks beforehand so you know the best times to transfer.
    Practice a disaster recovery at least once, make sure you know exactly how to restore from backup. This will stop you from panicking when it happens.
    Use the second server ONLY for backup. This will prevent security breaches, etc. Use two drives, one for boot, the other for storage (perhaps even a RAID array, performance is not the issue.) That way you can unmount the backup drive when not in use. At worse, unmount the backup partition.
    Secure the second server, APF, BFD, perhaps even a hardware firewall if you want.

I think that just about covers what I do normally, there's probably some other things I've forgotten/glossed over.

Also, when you do it/get someone to do it for you, discuss scope.
    Do you want history? For example, one of my clients backs up every night, but I keep the last 7 nights of data on the server, so he has some time to catch an error. You don't need 7 times the disk space to do this, you just need to store the changes, and use some cp/mv/ln magic to do this.
    Last edited by Blapto; 10-19-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Here is one you can take a look at. http://www.remotedatabackups.com
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

The authority in backup service is BQInternet - their backup solution is available at http://www.bqbackup.com.

It's good stuff.

Regards,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

BQInternet is good and helpful.